Old 14 February 2011, 22:17   #21

Town: Plymouth
Length: 10m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post
Thank you dry doc, no doubt VOSA and authorities like figures to confuse us/me. Final I hope relates to weight issues. At what weight does having a Tacho become mandatory for commercial work
I have 8 metre at 2.5 tonnes and 6 metre at 1.5 but van is only a Toyota Hiace and 4x4 is a terrano
Fitting a tachograph becomes compulsory when your Gross Train Weight exceeds 3500kg. Note this is the plated weight, not the actual weight.

The Toyota Hiace has a GVW of 3000kg. If you therefore tow a trailer with a GVW over 500kg behind it you will need a tacho. The Nissan Terrano has a GVW of 2510kg. If you therefore tow a trailer with a GVW over 990kg behind it you will need a tacho.

In summary, virtually any 4x4 or van towing a reasonable sized RIB for commercial use (that doesn't fall into the 50km exemption) will need a tacho. More worrying than the fine is that VOSA have the power to impound your vehicle and as you are operating outside the law your insurance would also be invalid.

I hope this helps.

Michael
SW Boat Transport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2011, 07:44   #22

Town: Crewe
Boat name: Tally Blue
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: Optimax 115
Ian

Michael (SW Rib Charter) is quite correct in what he says but one other thing you need to be aware of is all vehicles have a GVW and GTW (Gross train weight), this is the maximum weight the vehicle and anything it is towing can weigh. If you are towing a RIB with a weight of 2.5 tonnes make sure that this added to the vehicle weight driver, kit etc does not exceed the maximum GTW.

This is an easy one for VOSA and the fines for being overweight can be large also they will not let you carry on your journey until the weight is correct so you could be stuck in a check site for a long time!

I would be suprised if a Hiace has train weight high enough to pull your larger boat worth checking out, the terrano may be just OK.

Simon
Old 15 February 2011, 21:05   #23

Town: west wales
Make: humber destroyer 5m
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90 yamaha
Its a minefield all right!
Check out this scenario........
You unfortunately crash your car,you call me to collect it,and ask me to take it to the BMW dealer as that's what it is............my truck needs to be registered in the 'recovery vehicle' tax class and doesn't need a tacho' ,so I take it to the BMW dealer for you.
The BMW dealer decides your car is too badly damaged for them to repair and asks me to take it to a body shop for you. Your car is now 'goods or burden' so I need an operators licence ,a truck registered as a 'commercial vehicle' and a tachograph.
The body shop decides that your car is a write off and has to go to the breakers yard. They call me to move it for you.
I now need a truck registered in the 'commercial vehicle' class,an operators licence and a waste transfer licence as your car is now controlled waste.
One truck,same car......................................