Old 29 July 2005, 21:30   #1

Town: Des Moines, Iowa
Boat name: Perfecto
Make: Merc
Length: 4m +
SIB trailer problem.

Hi everyone. Ive had my Quicksilver 4.30 HD SIB for the past couple months and have loved every moment exept for launching. Its a nitemare

My problem is the following:
1. I back down the ramp to find my boat trailer bunks not even in the water and with water coming in my exhaust.

2. I find myself unhooking the trailer and pushing it into the water then manualy lifting the trailer and boat back onto the trailer hitch because the trailer wont go far enough into the water without exhaust filling with water!(my back is hurting)

3. Being a SIB the majority of weight is on the back (due to the outboard and inflatable floor) and the back of the boat is hanging off the trailer. This doesnt seem balanced.

My trailer is obviously not good for my boat. Do I need a longer trailer? Would this solve the problem? I was looking at roller trailers but they do not recommend them with SIBs. Please reply as I want to enjoy my SIB!!!
Old 30 July 2005, 06:09   #2

Town: Cumbria
The way I was taught to launch a small boat, and this may well have changed as I'm feeling as old as Victor Meldrew so treat it as anecdotal rather than advice, was like this:

1. Reverse to the top of the slipway.
2. Secure a line between the trailer and the tow hitch.
3. Use the tow hitch as a belay post (if you know what I mean) and gently, slowly, let out the line so that the trailer gently moves down the slipway.
4. Once the boat is launched gently drive the towing vehicle forward with the line secure until the trailer is clear of the water/green slippy stuff and then brake the trailer.
5. Reverse back to the trailer and hitch on as normal.
6. Recovery is similar.

(the above assumes that you have a jockey wheel)

It may be more difficult to do this single handedly: and even with a crew of three I used to have real problems controlling the rate of descent at times!

Like I said, its the method I was taught years ago when Queen Victoria (God Bless 'er!) was a nipper and slipways were empty,deserted places, so the practice may not be recommended in todays crowded world.
Old 30 July 2005, 07:05   #3

I dont have a jockey wheel. Im just looking for suggestions for a new trailer because this one is rediculous. Thanks for the replies
Old 30 July 2005, 09:33   #4

Town: New Forest
Boat name: Charlie Brown
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 275 Verado
MMSI: 235069179
Send a message via MSN to Zippy
I agree with Stan but if you dint have a jocky wheel then thats no use!

I have a roller trailer for my 5 meter rib and it is very easy to launch. i tow with a Golf and choose the steepest slip way i can find.

A friend has his 4.8 on a bunked trailer and its a nightmate compared to launching mine. (he has to do the same as you)!

Couldnt give you details on what length of trailer or if you can use a rollered trailer on a sib but would be worth looking at!
Old 30 July 2005, 12:35   #5

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
You could fit a Jockey wheel
Old 30 July 2005, 19:18   #6

wat exactly is a jockey wheel? also ive heard rollers arent good for sibs because they can damage the bottom. not sure if this is true.
Old 30 July 2005, 20:49   #7

Town: Nutbourne
Boat name: Renegade
Make: Porter
Engine: 140 Tohatsu
MMSI: 235022904
The jockey wheel is the thing that stops the tow hitch dropping on your toe when you un-hitch. A small wheel on an adjustable height prop near front of the trailer. It turns your trailer into a tricycle.
Old 30 July 2005, 20:49   #8

This is what you want!
http://www.towsure.com/default.asp?t=57&p=0&d=28
Old 30 July 2005, 20:51   #9

Mark thought I was the only sad kipper on hear tonight!
Nick
Old 30 July 2005, 21:14   #10

aw yes. i see. but still my boat ramps are pretty steep so i think dragging that trailer to my car would still be brutal. hehe
Old 30 July 2005, 23:06   #11

Town: Chelmsford/Anglesey
Make: Avon SR/RibLite 3.1m
Engine: Honda 30hp/Yam 8hp
Sirius - just a thought, but what if you fitted a set of those removable launching wheels to the SIB's transom while it's still on the trailer, then push it off the trailer and walk the boat into the water using the wheels. You could then demount the wheels and chuck them back in the car. You could then refit the launching wheels to assist recovery of the SIB. Of course this all rather depends on how easy it is to slide the SIB off the bunks in the first place, but I can't immediately think of any other solution other than dispensing completely with the trailer and going through the hassle of inflating and deflating the boat each time you use it
Old 30 July 2005, 23:07   #12

Ya i have decided to sell it. This is rediculous. Thanks for the replise tho guys. Ive had problems since day 1, including the original boat having a huge hole in it.
Old 31 July 2005, 04:49   #13

Town: Chula Vista, CA
Boat name: T.A.P.O.A.F.O.M.
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF140
Trailer tongue lengthened

How about having the trailer tongue lengthened? I had that done to my roller trailer at Polaris in Langley, Canada. Seems that would put the trailer further back and move the boat forward on the trailer so the end doesn't hang off.
Old 31 July 2005, 08:32   #14

Town: Fareham
Have you got any pictures of the Sib/trailer, perhaps you could install a launching trolly in between the bunks and SIB
Old 01 August 2005, 20:08   #15

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
http://www.xtend-a-hitchnorthwest.com/

This would do it for you, I think.

The problem with most inflatable trailers is that the tubes sit above the fenders. This means that the boat is really high on the trailer.

Depending on width, you could, I suppose, re-axle the trailer to get enough width to fit the SIB between the fenders. Probably be a little pricey, though.

The Extend-a-hitch would work (depending on the type of trailer you have), but if I were you, I'd print out enough of the pictures that someone on your side of the pond would be able to fabricate one for you, rather than order one from California.

jky
Old 02 August 2005, 05:59   #16

thanks. but to expensive. appreciate the support'
Old 02 August 2005, 13:52   #17

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Why not just pack the boat up and throw it and the motor in the back of your vehicle or a small utility trailer? One of the main benefits of a foldable inflatable boat is to be able to get to remote lakes that would not be accessible if towing a regular boat trailer. Using a foot pump, I can have my boat ready to go with the outboard mounted in less tha 15 minutes when by myself, and in less than 10 when with someone else. Doing it this way I can also launch from just about anywhere. If I get my cheap self to buy one of those $30 12volt rechargeable inflatable mattress compressors, it would be even quicker.