Make: Ribcrafts
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
SHB Hire in Southampton

Guys,

Just wanted to share a good experience I had whilst hiring a car with a tow hook.

Unfortunately my normal car is off the road and I desperately needed a replacement car with a tow hook. Experience has told me its nigh on impossible to ring a normal car hire company and get a car with a hook but somebody did mention a company in Romsey called SHB hire.

So straight on to their website http://www.shb.co.uk/index.html and for £80 a day plus insurance I get a Disco TDV6 thats 6 months old !! Not bad if you ask me.

Plus the best bit is the other person ran into me so I can claim the lot back from the person that hit me!!

So hopefully none of you will have an accident but if you do and you need a hire car with a hook I can't recommend them enough!

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	24052008276.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	35047  
Old 27 May 2008, 17:04   #2

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Ideal! When someone drove into me about a year ago, I had endless trouble trying to get a hire car with a towbar. Norwich Union would only deal with certain companies, the majority who whom didn't have anything with a towbar. My age didn't help; most companies don't like hiring 4x4s to 21 year olds! I ended up with a ropey old pickup.
Old 28 May 2008, 01:34   #3

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJL View Post
Guys,

Just wanted to share a good experience I had whilst hiring a car with a tow hook.

Unfortunately my normal car is off the road and I desperately needed a replacement car with a tow hook. Experience has told me its nigh on impossible to ring a normal car hire company and get a car with a hook but somebody did mention a company in Romsey called SHB hire.

So straight on to their website http://www.shb.co.uk/index.html and for £80 a day plus insurance I get a Disco TDV6 thats 6 months old !! Not bad if you ask me.

Plus the best bit is the other person ran into me so I can claim the lot back from the person that hit me!!

So hopefully none of you will have an accident but if you do and you need a hire car with a hook I can't recommend them enough!

Chris
I have wanted to use SHB on several occasions but they have always told me that they can't provide insurance as they normally hire to companies that have their own. Was the Disco you had covered???
Old 28 May 2008, 22:35   #4
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
Yeah I arranged my own insurance through my work.

I'm sure it wouldn't cost much to insure a disco for a few days if you added to exisiting car insurance.

Chris
Old 29 May 2008, 06:42   #5

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
I have wanted to use SHB on several occasions but they have always told me that they can't provide insurance as they normally hire to companies that have their own. Was the Disco you had covered???
Its common practice with hire companies, as they are unable to quantify the risk, so they put the onus onto the customer to arrange their own. In the end, youd probably get it cheaper yourself anyway
Old 29 May 2008, 11:44   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
Its common practice with hire companies, as they are unable to quantify the risk, so they put the onus onto the customer to arrange their own. In the end, youd probably get it cheaper yourself anyway
Well every hire company I have ever used has included insurance and I have used more than most.

I remember wanting to hire a Defender from SHB and my personal car insurance wouldn't touch it at the time as it was a hire car. It is prob different for commercial insurance.
Old 29 May 2008, 23:24   #7
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Worth checking if you're hiring a 4x4 that it's insured for off road use too.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2008, 20:18   #8

Quote:
Well every hire company I have ever used has included insurance and I have used more than most.

I remember wanting to hire a Defender from SHB and my personal car insurance wouldn't touch it at the time as it was a hire car. It is prob different for commercial insurance.
SHB are mainly commercially based as I understood it.. over time they may have moved to accomodate the private market, but it is frought with difficulties, where liability boundaries are hard to establish sometimes. Part of this is due to the problems of establishing exactly who the hirer/user is.. and confirming his/her identity and the limits of his/her indemnity, i.e their personal driving record , ref to points etc . So perhaps their policy is not clear for a number of reasons. It is a minefield.. and before you retort Cod

Quote:
I have used more than most.
I own two hire companies.. thats how I know
Old 30 May 2008, 21:38   #9

Ahh but I am talking as the end user - often company owners don't see their business from the customers side - and who is always right.............
Old 30 May 2008, 21:57   #10

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Everlong
Make: Botnia Targa 27
Engine: Volvo KAD44
anyone on here

in an shb 4x4, towing a yellow rib - 5/6m into newquay tonight about 6pm...it was me admiring your rig on my motorbike as I overtook round a corner coming into town and just missed the bus...tit.
Old 30 May 2008, 22:35   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by donutsina911 View Post
in an shb 4x4, towing a yellow rib - 5/6m into newquay tonight about 6pm...it was me admiring your rig on my motorbike as I overtook round a corner coming into town and just missed the bus...tit.
Was it Codders typing the above post on his PDA when he should have been concentrating on his driving ?
Old 30 May 2008, 22:38   #12

Quote:
Ahh but I am talking as the end user - often company owners don't see their business from the customers side - and who is always right.............
Not sure I'd view you as a 'proper' customer Codders .. you know where I'm coming from as.. you have your own