Old 15 June 2015, 09:10   #11

Length: 7m +
On a side note, I did until last year have a SBS 3500 KGS twin axel trailer, but had no problems, was towing using a land rover defender td5. maybe the merc 4x4 you have is just too low, perhaps fitting an adjutsbale height plate on the back would work.

Old 15 June 2015, 10:13   #12
RIBnet supporter

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Some interesting reading
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2015, 18:15   #13

Town: gloucestershire
Length: 4m +
+1 for the dixon bate adjustable drop plate, used them for 25 yrs on all my landys, as I tow lots of different things that all seem to be at different coupling heights.
Old 15 June 2015, 20:08   #14
CJL

Town: London
Make: Ribcrafts
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL

Not sure your expectations are right with this one!

Sounds like your tow bar on your car is is too high and you need a drop plate to get the tow ball to right. See here - http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/attach...190411-002.jpg .

It's not correct to say you can't move the axle location etc without loosing type approval. They are designed to be altered to fit a particular hull shape and they certainly don't come 100% set up for your particular boat - no matter how much info you give! They are supplied as is and you just have to adjust them yourself I'm afraid.

I had a DeGraffe a while back and it was a good fit after I roughly described the hull on the telephone but that's just luck not expert adjustment!! The 2 Indespension ones I had were miles out with the rollers just at the very edge of the beams with no attempt to put them in the right space.

I have now bought 3 SBS trailers, only ever had one problem and a free spare was sent immediately the next day, the rest were flawless. South West Boat Trailer have supplied all of em to me, all at good prices and no problems.

Bottom line it sounds like your trailer is fit for purpose it just needs adjustment.

Chris
CJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2015, 00:17   #15
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJL View Post

Not sure your expectations are right with this one!

Sounds like your tow bar on your car is is too high and you need a drop plate to get the tow ball to right. See here - http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/attach...190411-002.jpg .

It's not correct to say you can't move the axle location etc without loosing type approval. They are designed to be altered to fit a particular hull shape and they certainly don't come 100% set up for your particular boat - no matter how much info you give! They are supplied as is and you just have to adjust them yourself I'm afraid.

I had a DeGraffe a while back and it was a good fit after I roughly described the hull on the telephone but that's just luck not expert adjustment!! The 2 Indespension ones I had were miles out with the rollers just at the very edge of the beams with no attempt to put them in the right space.

I have now bought 3 SBS trailers, only ever had one problem and a free spare was sent immediately the next day, the rest were flawless. South West Boat Trailer have supplied all of em to me, all at good prices and no problems.

Bottom line it sounds like your trailer is fit for purpose it just needs adjustment.

Chris
From what I can gather Chris, he's saying that the hitch is too high, not vice-versa. I get the feeling we're not getting all the facts, he's a tad shy about posting a pic, regardless of several requests. Also he states that he can't move the axles, due to "Type approval", but then goes on to claim that he's moved them as far as allowed, which would indicate some adjustment allowance within the type approval. Not being allowed to move the axles due to type approval is a new one on me & sounds odd, but things might have changed since I were a lad
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 16 June 2015, 02:39   #16
RIBnet supporter

Town: Cambs/Northants
Length: no boat
Surely one of these would sort the problem?

150mm Adjustable Height - Dixon-Bate

They would know if you can use it in the UK too
Old 16 June 2015, 07:19   #17

Town: Mallorca
Boat name: Amaroo
Make: Jeanneau & Seago 2.6
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard 200hp & 4hp
MMSI: 235104224
Attached are a few photos of my boat on an SBS 3500 and in runs and sits perfectly level. It has a 50/50 bunk roller set up. It does sound a set up issue you have. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1434453516.698086.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	106106Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1434453531.188621.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	106107Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1434453549.933828.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	106108

"By skill not force."
Silverfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2015, 12:10   #18
CJL

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox View Post
Attached are a few photos of my boat on an SBS 3500 and in runs and sits perfectly level. It has a 50/50 bunk roller set up. It does sound a set up issue you have. Attachment 106106Attachment 106107Attachment 106108
OK I hope you don't do any towing on little roads

Chris
Old 16 June 2015, 12:37   #19
CJL

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
From what I can gather Chris, he's saying that the hitch is too high, not vice-versa. I get the feeling we're not getting all the facts, he's a tad shy about posting a pic, regardless of several requests. Also he states that he can't move the axles, due to "Type approval", but then goes on to claim that he's moved them as far as allowed, which would indicate some adjustment allowance within the type approval. Not being allowed to move the axles due to type approval is a new one on me & sounds odd, but things might have changed since I were a lad
So the hitch is too high and his tow ball is too low?? Sounds like the car is the issue not the trailer!

Chris
Old 16 June 2015, 17:40   #20
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJL View Post
So the hitch is too high and his tow ball is too low?? Sounds like the car is the issue not the trailer!

Chris

In his first post he states that the trailer is nose down & crushing the front tyres, he the goes on in his second post to state that the hitch needs to come down 5" to sit the trailer level & mate to his towbar, I don't see how both of these statements can be true unless the trailer is riding on humungous wheels/tyres ( Land Rover 750s?) photo?

.....sh1t happens.......