Old 29 March 2019, 09:54   #1

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
locking wheel nuts

as above not boating related but you have to get there, had to have two new tyers on my mini on the front took it to the supplier [who i have used for years great service] took the off side front off but a struggle, near side buggered the security key ordered a new one only from germany took 5 days took it to my local garage took two days to get it off they had to weld round it and knock a socket on took 4 attempts it was that solid they took all nuts off and drove it to release with no joy.
car has only done 19,000 miles and 18 months old on alloys with recessed nuts/bolts it seems the nuts/bolts are put in at the factory dry and tight.
the security key is a cauliflower type with a revolving color according to opinion from different sources the worst you can have but used extensively by manufactures.
just thought i would mention these things can potentially ruin your hols big style
Old 29 March 2019, 21:37   #2
bob

Town: troon
Boat name: shadow
Make: avon
Length: 4.7
Engine: outboard,70hp
Take them off and put normal ones on! These are the bane of a tyre fitters life _tyre fitter of 35 years!!
Old 29 March 2019, 22:45   #3

RIBase
Yep done that Bob
Old 30 March 2019, 00:55   #4

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
BMW locking wheel nuts are truly shocking. Wife has an i3. Last October switching off alloys and summer tyres for winter tyres and wheels, exactly the same thing. Locking wheel nut crumbled under pressure. Took it to BMW dealer who used a factory set of keys and managed to dent one of my diamond cut alloys. They probably used a lump hammer in despair!

Forget BMW forum advice, I use a little marine grease on the wheel bolt threads when refitting and don't over-torque.
Old 30 March 2019, 07:42   #5

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Take them off and put normal ones on! These are the bane of a tyre fitters life _tyre fitter of 35 years!!
+1

Four year old Citroen.....ended up having to drill 13mm hole in the heads of three of them and hammer a torx into them to get them out PIA.
Old 30 March 2019, 08:44   #6

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
A Mercedes 4x4, all new tyres fitted about 6 months previously. Fooked 2 locking wheel nut keys trying to get a wheel off, ended up getting a 1/2” allen key welded to the nut then an small extension bar over the Allen key and getting it off that way.
Old 30 March 2019, 10:23   #7

RIBase
Even the one they got off at the tyre shop and put back with the buggered key was a mare to get back off. To be honest I'm not bothered about lock nuts it appears you can buy a kit for £150 that will get any off so burglar bill will certainly have one.
Old 30 March 2019, 16:15   #8
bob

Town: troon
Boat name: shadow
Make: avon
Length: 4.7
Engine: outboard,70hp
Had one on a year old bm w that broke the tool at 200nm!!!!
Old 31 March 2019, 07:59   #9

Length: 7m +
sounds as bad as an issue I had with removing the caliper housing bolts on an audi, 15mm spline socket needed, in a very awkward place, took me several hours over various days to undo one bolt, never known anyhting so tight in all my life and difficult to get at.
Old 31 March 2019, 11:06   #10

Town: bedford
Make: tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard 60hp merc
Wheel nuts

Thanks for this heads up, I have been thinking of bin ing the locking WN on my Nissan QQ for a while and this has made my mind up that when I change the winter wheels for the summers next week I will not replace the locking nuts. I think I have been protected by the twice a year wheel change and the fact that I always, put a little waterproof grease on the threads.

Has anybody every had a wheel or set of wheels nicked? I guess unless they are very expensive what I call proper lightweight alloys than it's very unlikely unless you leave your motor in dodgy areas regularly.

Thanks

Dave J
Old 31 March 2019, 17:26   #11

RIBase
According to the garage steeling wheels isn't as popular since most cars have alloys. The reason for posting I'm off up the west coast next week if I had a puncture that wasn't repairable with the grunge kit (no spare) I'm miles away from a mobile signal, garages etc a costly job and a ruined holiday at least if I can get the wheel off I've half a chance, having said that I'm looking for a steel wheel to put in the boat as insurance
Old 31 March 2019, 20:24   #12

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
BMW seem to have lots of issues with wheels......

I’ve taken my wheels on and off a couple of times in 18 months running winter tyres dec-apr

Locking wheel nuts come off ok but have noticed some discolouration on the bolts....

Windy guns cause a lot of the issues doing them myself with a ratchet and torque wrench. No issues.......

Wheels still get stolen but less for the wheels more for the near £1k worth of tyres on many SUV and performance cars.....why spend £800 when you can spend £200 and sell your wheels.......