Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Trailers & towing
Click Here to Login

Old 26 January 2014, 09:55   #1

Boat name: Carpe Diem
Make: Ribeye 650S
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Correct trailer length for boat?

If a used roller coaster trailer needs to be purchased separately for a rib what criteria needs to be considered to ensure boat and trailer a compatible?

1.) Trailer weight rating must be greater than boat - what % safety factor should be considered?

2.) Obviously the ideal scenario is to ensure the bow stubber to the last roller at the end of the trailer supports the whole hull length however this is not always possible when but buying a used trailer. I was advised that a shorter trailer could be used but with a maximum of 3ft from last roller to transom is the limit with a 250hp engine / transom been unsupported? Does they seem right / good advice?

3.) Any other factors should be considered?

Thanks
Old 26 January 2014, 10:11   #2

Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by whackywoody View Post
If a used roller coaster trailer needs to be purchased separately for a rib what criteria needs to be considered to ensure boat and trailer a compatible?

1.) Trailer weight rating must be greater than boat - what % safety factor should be considered?

2.) Obviously the ideal scenario is to ensure the bow stubber to the last roller at the end of the trailer supports the whole hull length however this is not always possible when but buying a used trailer. I was advised that a shorter trailer could be used but with a maximum of 3ft from last roller to transom is the limit with a 250hp engine / transom been unsupported? Does they seem right / good advice?

Thanks
1. All depends what your carrying.
I would suggest working out the weight of the boat full to the brim with fuel and your normal gear and adding 15% minimum.
If the boat is currently on a trailer take it up your local sand/ballast suppliers.
I gave them a £5 when I did it and used the weigh bridge.

2. I would ensure the back rollers go as near to the stern as possible to support the engine weight.
I once bought a brand new boat and trailer, I refused to have it partly because the trailer was too short.
Saw it 3 years later with stress cracks exactly where the trailer support stopped!
What a coincidence!!

3. I had a new roller coaster about 4 years ago. Even though the boat was 300kgs underweight it was useless and 'bending' over the axle.
To be fair the dealer upgraded it to the next model up for an extra £50.00!
Which was great.

Also if buying secondhand make sure the brakes are all ok.
If the shoes have been taken out it's about £150 per wheel just for the parts! (May be more now)
My friend was stopped in a police check and had his impounded because he threw them away.
Plonker!!
Old 26 January 2014, 11:29   #3

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Quote:

3.)
Thanks
Advice re trailer length is probably from a dinghy sailor, they have very little weight at the back so overhangs are fine.

But a rib with a few hundred kilo's hanging off the transom will crack or even snap if the transom is not supported. Dont forget to allow weight capacity for the trailer and any kit. i.e. If a trailer is 2000kg capacity its actual carrying cap will be around 1600kg, this will mean that the boat needs to be maximum of 1400kg to allow for kit and fuel.
Old 26 January 2014, 11:43   #4

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Altea 2
Make: Narwhal
Engine: 90 Mariner
Agree with above. You want max support at the transom, especially if you have outboard(s). I have only ever advised a max of about 4" / 100mm from back of transom to rear of last roller(s) / bunks.

Have a look on one of my pages, it gives a brief description of 'losing' a metre fore and aft. It's down to the tube length.

http://www.compasstrailers.com/page2.htm

As a rule of thumb, I'd allow an extra 200kg for fuel, water, fishing gear, anchor(s), sundries etc that are left in the boat, when towing.
Trailer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2014, 12:11   #5

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Guy View Post
Agree with above. You want max support at the transom, especially if you have outboard(s). I have only ever advised a max of about 4" / 100mm from back of transom to rear of last roller(s) / bunks.

Have a look on one of my pages, it gives a brief description of 'losing' a metre fore and aft. It's down to the tube length.

Compass Trailers Tel. 07921 853190 - Boat Trailers

As a rule of thumb, I'd allow an extra 200kg for fuel, water, fishing gear, anchor(s), sundries etc that are left in the boat, when towing.
+1

Gareth, whatever you're up to now, don't buy a trailer with a overhang, you'll just regret it! have a look on SBS Trailers website, click on the Trailer Finder tab, that page gives you a very good idea of how to measure the length you need, the trailer will have a GVW which is basically the weight the axle(s) can carry including the trailer itself, it will also have a load capacity which is basically the weight of the rib, including the engine, fuel when tank(s) are full etc. as Ben, Trailer Guy, has already said a maximum of 4"/100mm from rear of rollers to transom and less if possible! give me a call if you want a chat
Old 26 January 2014, 12:32   #6

Boat name: Carpe Diem
Make: Ribeye 650S
Engine: Yamaha F150
Can't beat ribnobber advice!!!

Wow, thanks everybody for responding with your advice, thought 3 foot sounded a little to far without support

Chris, not got any definitive plans yet just getting all my options on the table and then it will be decision time or squeaky bum time in my case
Old 02 February 2014, 02:54   #7

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Wow, thanks everybody for responding with your advice, thought 3 foot sounded a little to far without support
That's a lot for a rib! Even Fireballs (usually) have a transom support.... Admittedly they are a bit of an extreme.

One observation I made when trying to fit a 5m boat into a 5.7m garage on a braked trailer was that the "boat length" quoted for a trailer usually is for hard boats. Ribs have anywhere between 0.5 - 1m of total toob overhang between the bow and the cones at the stern.

Measure the solid bit of your hull for that bit of the equation!
Old 19 February 2014, 06:36   #8

Town: lattes
Boat name: BENEDETT
Make: lomac
Engine: Yamaha 70 HP
RIBase
Happy new year!

Quote:

Thanks
Hola!!!! How are you, all people?

Aningoul, south France.