Old 30 June 2008, 11:16   #1

Town: Bristol
Boat name: n/a
Make: Honwave T35AE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 18hp 2stroke
Bearing savers/buddies

I've just received a set of bearing buddies from Autow Warehouse but have found them to be very different from what I guess are the original bearing buddies here. The ones I have received are just an aluminium cap with a grease nipple and a pressure relief valve in the centre. On the 'genuine' bearing buddies website it explains how a spring pushes down to "maintain a slight pressure between the inside of the hub and the outside environment" - I don't have that spring on mine, only the relief valve

I am a bit concearned that the ones I've just paid £39 for might not do the job properly. Can anyone tell me if this is the case or will the ones without a spring be up to the job?

(Also a bit peaved that the genuine ones are a fraction of the price)
Old 30 June 2008, 11:33   #2

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy JC View Post
I've just received a set of bearing buddies from Autow Warehouse but have found them to be very different from what I guess are the original bearing buddies here. The ones I have received are just an aluminium cap with a grease nipple and a pressure relief valve in the centre. On the 'genuine' bearing buddies website it explains how a spring pushes down to "maintain a slight pressure between the inside of the hub and the outside environment" - I don't have that spring on mine, only the relief valve

I am a bit concearned that the ones I've just paid £39 for might not do the job properly. Can anyone tell me if this is the case or will the ones without a spring be up to the job?

(Also a bit peaved that the genuine ones are a fraction of the price)
Umm, I have the original B/Buddies on the 6.5m boat trailer and need to get four for the new trailer. Those 'copies' look a bit pants.
Old 30 June 2008, 11:36   #3

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
I think the true answer is that it depends on how much you use your trailer. I prefer the spring loaded ones too, but if you grease the other type regularly, I dont think they will be much less effective. The reason I prefer the spring ones is that you can monitor the grease going down, and then know, when they need a top up, but perhaps you'll know by experience how often that should be? Having said that some people might be a bit over enthusiatic, with too much grease which is potentially as big a problem .. send em back
Old 30 June 2008, 11:50   #4

Cheers guys, think I'm gonna send them back.

Is there a supplier in the UK for the genuine ones or shall I just order directly from the US site?

Their part numbering seems a bit strange, any idea which ones I need to order for an HG505 hub - think it's a pretty standard unbraked type hub on a Snipe trailer?
Old 30 June 2008, 11:54   #5

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
I think they are cheeper as well!
http://www.indespension.co.uk/b2c/ap...N35=001&slnk=1
Old 30 June 2008, 12:14   #6

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
I bought the ones from Autow for 505 hubs a few years ago, sent them back because they didn't fit the hubs.
Unless they have changed the Indespension ones won't fit either, wrong size.
I have the non sprung ones on my trailer and, while I haven't used it yet, I suspect the sprung ones will only work better if you strip and clean regularly although I an willing to be corrected if someone with experience of them knows better?
Old 30 June 2008, 13:24   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
I bought the ones from Autow for 505 hubs a few years ago, sent them back because they didn't fit the hubs.
Unless they have changed the Indespension ones won't fit either, wrong size.
I have the non sprung ones on my trailer and, while I haven't used it yet, I suspect the sprung ones will only work better if you strip and clean regularly although I an willing to be corrected if someone with experience of them knows better?
As I ordered a new set of hubs from Autow as well they do fit ok (already checked) but I'm not happy that they don't have the spring setup so they're going back.

Nick, the picture won't load on the indespention site for the bearing savers, can you tell me if they are the type with a spring arrangement and also if they're SS or alloy?

Cheers
Old 30 June 2008, 13:53   #8

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy JC View Post
As I ordered a new set of hubs from Autow as well they do fit ok (already checked) but I'm not happy that they don't have the spring setup so they're going back.

Nick, the picture won't load on the indespention site for the bearing savers, can you tell me if they are the type with a spring arrangement and also if they're SS or alloy?

Cheers
Had 2 new axles from them last year & they came with the SS bearing savers with spring, best give them a call they have always been very helpful on the phone!
Nick
Old 30 June 2008, 23:55   #9

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Does anyone know if you can get Bearing Savers for an Avonride Axle?

All the ones I see are for Indespension hubs
Old 01 July 2008, 17:03   #10

Town: Oakland CA
Bearing Buddy protectors (the original ones, like Andy posted in the original post), are manufactured in sizes:

1.78" (45.33mm)
1.81" (45.06mm - not sure why they list this as smaller than 1.78")
1.96" (50.08mm)
1.98" (50.41mm)
2.047" (52.08mm)
2.08" (52.92mm)
2.24" (56.98mm)
2.44" (62.08mm)
2.56" (65.07mm)
2.717" (69.06mm)

Measurement is the diameter of dust cap mounting hole (outer end of the hub.)

Bearing Buddy website here: http://www.bearingbuddy.com/

No idea where you can get them across the pond, though. You might try Champion Trailer Parts (http://www.championtrailers.com/) if you want to attempt to order from the US.

jky