Old 21 August 2011, 14:32   #1

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Tooper/Monterey front wheel bearings

The last couple of days I've been getting a squealing from the drivers side hub. I've whipped the wheel off to have a look, but all seems fine (no stones, loose bits etc) there is also some healthy brake material left on the pads. What i did notice was that after I replaced the wheel, I gave it a tug top to bottom and there appears to be some bearing play. About a couple of mm's on outer edge of tyre. Rotating the wheel shows no sign of rumble.

I'd like to do the simple things first so will be looking at re-torquing the front bearings. Anyone got an torque/preload figures or tips on the 98 3.1TD model?

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2011, 17:29   #2

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
No but there might be some bods on here who know;

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ :: Index
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2011, 18:24   #3

I've posted a thread there too! No ones replied, so I guess they don't know either

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 21 August 2011, 20:40   #4

Town: Chorley / Holyhead
Boat name: Northwind Challenger
Make: Tornado
Engine: Mariner 115 efi CT
MMSI: 235080598
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Festinghouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
The last couple of days I've been getting a squealing from the drivers side hub. I've whipped the wheel off to have a look, but all seems fine (no stones, loose bits etc) there is also some healthy brake material left on the pads. What i did notice was that after I replaced the wheel, I gave it a tug top to bottom and there appears to be some bearing play. About a couple of mm's on outer edge of tyre. Rotating the wheel shows no sign of rumble.

I'd like to do the simple things first so will be looking at re-torquing the front bearings. Anyone got an torque/preload figures or tips on the 98 3.1TD model?
when you take the outer cover off (ring of allen bolts) you will see two (i think) philips head grub screws. remove these and tighten up the bearing until there is no play in the wheel (wheel can be left on while doing this) but no so much that it makes it harder to turn the wheel, play with it until you are able to re fit the grub screws. re assemble and try it, trial and error works every time!
Old 22 August 2011, 00:47   #5

Oh Ok! Thought there might have been a preload. So as easy as the trailer bearings then

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 22 August 2011, 09:28   #6

Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fugly & Rokraider 1
Make: Pac 22 & Porter 6.5
Engine: Ford 250 & jet,DT140
Does it have automatic free wheeling hubs? If so they are prone to playing up. If the hub bearings are squeaking, they may have dried out and need repacking with grease, assuming the bearings aren't shot.It will be the inner one that will dry out, usually because the hub seal wears out and allows crap to get into the grease. Just tightening them up wont improve anything in that situation.
Old 22 August 2011, 16:08   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokraider View Post
Does it have automatic free wheeling hubs? If so they are prone to playing up. If the hub bearings are squeaking, they may have dried out and need repacking with grease, assuming the bearings aren't shot.It will be the inner one that will dry out, usually because the hub seal wears out and allows crap to get into the grease. Just tightening them up wont improve anything in that situation.
I've found out that the noise is actually coming from the rear, I only found out as my wife drove off on a shopping trip earlier. I've stripped the rear and found the problem. Sticky guide pins which has resulted in on pad wearing away. So new pads and pins will do it.

I'm still going to tighten up the front though. I've been getting a little inside tyre wear on the fronts and want to have the tracking done. I'll do the bearings before I shell out money for the tracking.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 22 August 2011, 17:12   #8

Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fugly & Rokraider 1
Make: Pac 22 & Porter 6.5
Engine: Ford 250 & jet,DT140
It is quite normal for the outer edge of the front tyre to wear, all of the 4x4's with independent front suspension suffer with it. PAS doesn't help either. The short wishbones cause a lot of geometry change as they travel. None of the manaufacturers seem to be able to get it right.
Best bet is to rotate the tyres frequently.