Originally Posted by Richard B
Interesting which part of Mat's post you've chosen to post. And bear in mind that there are two standards of Motorcycle helmet - your purchase at £40 apiece can only be the cheaper type. The rest of Mat's post stated:
I would suggest that your research into Geckos and marine safety helmets starts with a call to Jeff. He's a very pleasant guy and the conversation will be a pleasure as well as informative.
I have done!!!!
The conclusions I made were as follows
1. Yes the Gecko is ideal for the marine environment - one size fits all and it will stand up to getting wet very well.
2. Would not call them overpriced for what they are - just they don't mass produce enough to get the cost right down.
3. Gecko are contradictory in their advice - what they say about the "bucket" effect I totally agree with which means a full face helmet is more at risk. And yet they produce a full face which is flared at the bottom which would make the bucket effect worse.
4. Obviously a full face helmet would be far better in the event of a full stuff or collision with an object.
5. Full face reduce visibility and situation awareness.
As a result I decided to get an open face with a visor - I concluded that motorbike helmets are also designed for wet environments - you get pretty wet on a bike in the rain.
I do not like the chin strap on mine - I will either leave it undone or will replace it with a velcro strap. The helmet is quite a snug fit and will absorb 1 impact before being dislodged - which should be sufficient.
I never buy ANYTHING without reading up on it first and asking questions.