Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 27 October 2012, 04:59   #51
RIBnet supporter
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,596
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leapy View Post
Good job it wasn't the hard shoulder of the M6 then :-)
Too right, I still carry the scars, physical & mental. Well, more mental actually
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2012, 06:06   #52
AJ.
RIBnet supporter
 
AJ.'s Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Warwickshire
Boat name: Impulse
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
Even if you own it, if he's a named driver and crashes, they look at your circumstances. If you own another car and he doesn't, they start looking in to whether he was the main driver. They ask school if he parked there, they ask your work what you turn up in, its pretty simple. They prove he was the main driver and they don't pay. Happened to a friend of mine and it was only for a 350 claim!

To get cheap insurance for kids some firms are offering very cheap cover for a) driving only between set hours of say 7am an 7pm, work and school fine, but not evening "cruising" b) a black box camera installed that shows speed and the incident. You crash, they look to see why! Speeding? they don't pay. Fair enough really.
Having worked as a commercial fleet underwriter in an old life, I have heard some of the investigations that HP mentions if they can get out of paying the claim they will. Best option is to take out a policy where the lad is the main driver but they see the risk reduced by having older more experienced drivers on the same policy (mum and dad).

With regards to minis look great but when I was 17 was never allowed one as my mum worked in A&E the code used for a RTA involving a mini was we have a sardine can casuality. Their design although great not much crumple zone and the engine is too close to the passengers legs and head on accidents tend to result in an unfavourable outcome.

Although does nothing for their street cred. A supermarket car such as a Clio or fiesta is a better result, plus after a couple of years with their hopefully built up NCD they can get something better.
__________________
AJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2012, 07:00   #53
Member
 
HUMBER P4VWL's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ.

Having worked as a commercial fleet underwriter in an old life, I have heard some of the investigations that HP mentions if they can get out of paying the claim they will. Best option is to take out a policy where the lad is the main driver but they see the risk reduced by having older more experienced drivers on the same policy (mum and dad).

With regards to minis look great but when I was 17 was never allowed one as my mum worked in A&E the code used for a RTA involving a mini was we have a sardine can casuality. Their design although great not much crumple zone and the engine is too close to the passengers legs and head on accidents tend to result in an unfavourable outcome.

Although does nothing for their street cred. A supermarket car such as a Clio or fiesta is a better result, plus after a couple of years with their hopefully built up NCD they can get something better.
Agreed, my old man new of a few people back in the 70's who lost their legs in head on crashes on minis. The engine etc just came straight through on to the legs.

Conversely a colleague recently had a 20tonne truck go up his bonnet and onto the roof of his 5 series. He managed to survive in the cocoon of the driver area. The roof came in but there was enough strength to keep him safe. You look at the car and think no way, but the design is awesome.
__________________
HUMBER P4VWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2012, 07:29   #54
RIBnet supporter
 
Ian M's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: New Milton
Boat name: Jianna
Make: Osprey
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 E-TEC
MMSI: 235076954
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,933
Eldest son has just turned 17, so I have bought a decent little Fiesta for him. On a Learners only policy (Collingwood) we are paying 65 a month, and have got on-line quotes for when he passes his test in the region of 1000. Not great, but better than some are saying. Maybe it is due to living in the retirement quarter of Hampshire
__________________
Ian

Dust creation specialist
Ian M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2012, 07:37   #55
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fugly & Rokraider 1
Make: Pac 22 & Porter 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Ford 250 & jet,DT140
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian M View Post
Eldest son has just turned 17, so I have bought a decent little Fiesta for him. On a Learners only policy (Collingwood) we are paying 65 a month, and have got on-line quotes for when he passes his test in the region of 1000. Not great, but better than some are saying. Maybe it is due to living in the retirement quarter of Hampshire
When my daughtert was interested in getting her license, we had a look round at options. I was going to build her a jeep Wrangler with a turbo diesel, but couldn't get any insurance for her at all until she was 25! The best quote was for a Morris minor through the Minor Owners Club, which I believe was around 500 per year capped to 10k miles per year.

Of course, she didn't want a Minor. So when I started getting quotes for other small cars, some of them were quite reasonable, whilst she was a learner (hence accompanied) but rocketed when she would pass her test. I don't think there is any such thing as reasonable insurance for youngsters.
__________________
Rokraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2012, 08:19   #56
Member
 
HUMBER P4VWL's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,013
Out of curiosity how much is moped insurance?
__________________
HUMBER P4VWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2012, 08:28   #57
Member
 
kerny's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 60
MMSI: 235087492
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,040
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL
Out of curiosity how much is moped insurance?
No good for you mate... your feet wont be able to touch the floor. :wink:
__________________
Member of S.A.B.S. (Lancashire Division)
kerny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2012, 08:42   #58
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: bicester
Length: no boat
Engine: outboard only
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 894
I worked on a lot of minis in the 1960s during my apprenticeship , like everything else good ones and bad ones,as a point of intrest or maybe not Alec Issigonis who designed the mini, used to drink at the Trout Inn at Wolvercote in Oxford, his drinking partner at that time was my granddad.
__________________
uncle al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2012, 08:58   #59
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: chesterfield
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 30
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 160
As a current owner of 2 classic minis im a little bias.
Value wise expect to pay in the region of 1500-1800 for a road worthy mini.
Insurance for my Daughter 17 on a classic policy is 1700 with HIC insurance.This is with a stage 1 kit fitted,uprated brakes and alloy wheels all declared.
I also run a Vauxhaull power 1800cc mini as my summer toy all mods(and its a big list)declared and its 95 fully comp with agreed value of 5800.But then im old
Bypass hoses are not a problem just plug it off.Bottom hose is a 1hr job just take radiator out.
If you want to improve safety you could always mit later mpi doors and boot lid as they have impact bars in them.
Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0963.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	73614  
__________________
secondopsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2012, 09:10   #60
Member
 
Leapy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by secondopsman
If you want to improve safety you could always mit later mpi doors and boot lid as they have impact bars in them.
That'll sort it ;-)
__________________

__________________
Leapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:12.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.