Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 16 August 2009, 18:30   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Electric handbrakes said it would happen!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/8204326.stm

Bloody things should be banned - poor kid had a really lucky escape - what chance has anyone got of finding out how to use one in an emergency???
__________________

__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2009, 02:08   #2
Member
 
Leapy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,728
"Paige Dean accidently knocked off the car's handbrake..."

How do you 'accidently' leave an 11 year old in charge of a car on the edge of a cliff, put/leave the keys in the ignition, turn the ignition on, put your foot on the foot brake, press a switch and take your foot off the foot brake?

With a mechanical handbrake, you could always just 'accidently' press a button and the same would occur.

Rather than blaming the handbake, why not blame the parents?
__________________

__________________
Leapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2009, 04:32   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Here
Boat name: doggypaddle
Make: Avon 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: yamaha 80
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,107
Driver error too??? I always park in bottom or reverse gear and on lock pointing to the kerb too.......if the car was in gear or park it wouldnt have rolled away. The other question is given electronic handbrakes are interlocked to the footbrake how can you knock it off accidentally?
__________________
I am usually not as green as i am cabbage looking.
doggypaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2009, 04:39   #4
Member
 
Leapy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggypaddle View Post
The other question is given electronic handbrakes are interlocked to the footbrake how can you knock it off accidentally?
Quite
__________________
Leapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2009, 04:41   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,841
Is this not just another car over a cliff incident, where the car happened to have an electronic handbrake, as they are now more common?
__________________
Mollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2009, 04:46   #6
Member
 
Leapy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Is this not just another car over a cliff incident, where the car happened to have an electronic handbrake, as they are now more common?
I'm sure you're right... I just don't understand why the handbrake is being blamed as opposed to those in charge of the car
__________________
Leapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2009, 06:46   #7
Member
 
chewy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leapy View Post
I'm sure you're right... I just don't understand why the handbrake is being blamed as opposed to those in charge of the car
Because Codders started the thread.
__________________
chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2009, 07:32   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
No because it makes it too easy to happen.

Kids love playing with buttons. When she accidently released the brake she didn't have a clue how to put it back on - a handbrake is FAR more intuitive.

And the kid said she was on the passenger side.

i am very sorry I just do NOT trust electronics enough!!!

There was a photo on this very site of a new Pugeot I think which had driven itself into a marina. It was locked - in gear and had a remote start key fob thing. It shouldn't have happened - but it did............

Once when I recovered my boat my mate's dozy father forgot to put the handbrake on in my Disocvery - I was in the boat on the trailer heading backwards down a steep slip. I yelled at him and he managed to jump back in and grab the handbrake - what chance would he have had of finding a small button?

What is wrong with a simple mechanical lever?
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2009, 07:52   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,556
I agree,

no need for it to be electric
__________________
Here it comes again, I don't stand a chance
Soul possession, Got me in a trance
Pullin' me back to you - Deja Voodoo
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2009, 08:49   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Here
Boat name: doggypaddle
Make: Avon 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: yamaha 80
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
No because it makes it too easy to happen.

Kids love playing with buttons. When she accidently released the brake she didn't have a clue how to put it back on - a handbrake is FAR more intuitive.

And the kid said she was on the passenger side.

i am very sorry I just do NOT trust electronics enough!!!

There was a photo on this very site of a new Pugeot I think which had driven itself into a marina. It was locked - in gear and had a remote start key fob thing. It shouldn't have happened - but it did............

Once when I recovered my boat my mate's dozy father forgot to put the handbrake on in my Disocvery - I was in the boat on the trailer heading backwards down a steep slip. I yelled at him and he managed to jump back in and grab the handbrake - what chance would he have had of finding a small button?

What is wrong with a simple mechanical lever?
Dont you mean.....

Once when I recovered my boat my mate's dozy father forgot to put the handbrake on in my Disocvery - I was in the boat on the trailer heading backwards down a steep slip. I yelled at him and he managed to jump back in and grab the handbrake - and i spent the rest of the week bouncing up and down the slipway because of all the backlash in the transmission
__________________

__________________
I am usually not as green as i am cabbage looking.
doggypaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:41.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.