Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Ocean & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzi DT200EFI, DT9.9
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Defender 110 TD5

Hi All.

Iím interested to hear from anyone knowledgeable about what a 1 or 2 year old 110 TD5 Defender would be like to live with as an everyday car.

Some background
Towards the end of this year, or early next, Iíd like to swap my 52 plate 3.2TD Shogun in.
Iíve really enjoyed owning it, and its never got stuck anywhere, even on gravel beaches with the boat and trailer on the back. It is however a little bit fragile, and is going wrong quite often now at 110K hard worked miles. But it does offer very good on road comforts and performance.

The plan was to go for a 1 or two year old 4.2TD Amazon, but the marine electronics industry doesnít pay as well as the Tobacco industry I came from. So weíll upgrade Mrs Nashers car to something we can use more often, and the 4x4 will be to tow the boat, get me to work, and camping trips etc.

Iíve always liked the look of the defender in a mid-life crisis type of way, and the smaller Nashers tell me they are ĎCoolí. They do of course come with Air Con etc so the general spec will be similar.
There is also great scope for me to Ďpersonalise ití at a reasonable cost. Did I mention mid-life crisis already?

Having spoken to a couple of people already (Thanks guys) Iím a bit concerned by the following.

The 2.5l TD5 engine is less powerful than my 3.2TD.
Cruising speed on the motorway will be reduced.
The noise on road will be greater.
They leak as the doors donít fit or seal properly especially at speed.

Nasher.

Nasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2007, 08:33   #2

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
Hi All.

Iím interested to hear from anyone knowledgeable about what a 1 or 2 year old 110 TD5 Defender would be like to live with as an everyday car.

Some background
Towards the end of this year, or early next, Iíd like to swap my 52 plate 3.2TD Shogun in.
Iíve really enjoyed owning it, and its never got stuck anywhere, even on gravel beaches with the boat and trailer on the back. It is however a little bit fragile, and is going wrong quite often now at 110K hard worked miles. But it does offer very good on road comforts and performance.

The plan was to go for a 1 or two year old 4.2TD Amazon, but the marine electronics industry doesnít pay as well as the Tobacco industry I came from. So weíll upgrade Mrs Nashers car to something we can use more often, and the 4x4 will be to tow the boat, get me to work, and camping trips etc.

Iíve always liked the look of the defender in a mid-life crisis type of way, and the smaller Nashers tell me they are ĎCoolí. They do of course come with Air Con etc so the general spec will be similar.
There is also great scope for me to Ďpersonalise ití at a reasonable cost. Did I mention mid-life crisis already?

Having spoken to a couple of people already (Thanks guys) Iím a bit concerned by the following.

The 2.5l TD5 engine is less powerful than my 3.2TD.
Cruising speed on the motorway will be reduced.
The noise on road will be greater.
They leak as the doors donít fit or seal properly especially at speed.

Nasher.
all of yur observations are correct in my mind, they need chipping to get a good turn of speed.

the very best advice would be to loan one or hire one or test drive one over the weekend as see if it is the type of vehicle you are happy with for every day use etc, i know of 2 people who purchased them and then changed them in quite quickly as not ideal for main car......caravanners!

Old 08 May 2007, 08:46   #3

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
I think Defenders are an aquired taste. Do not expect car like levels of comfort or refinement. Having said that they are FUN which is sadly lacking with normal vehicles.

They need a bit more looking after than a normal vehicle but they do reward TLC.

You mention aircon - it is fitted in the front passenger footwell and restricts the limited legroom quite a bit. The rear mounted one is fine though. To be honest I wouldn't bother as the front flaps are better than any aircon unit!!!

The later TD5 engines were great - not as good offroad as the old 300tdi though but much better on the road.

Get one with traction control if you can - it makes an awesome vehicle just about unstopable - other than that try to avoid all other fancy electrics.

Get a full length roofrack with a ladder at the back. Kids just love climbing up there. The roofrack is just so versatile - I have carried 2 complete 3 piece suites on mine no problem.

As standard the 110 has awesome ground clearance - I can get my knee under the sill and I am 6' - other offroaders don't even come close.

You mention the costs of a 2nd hand Amazon - have you any idea how well 110s hold their money? You may be shocked. Buy a Landie right and you won't lose money on it.

As to door leaks etc what's the problem? Don't think mine ever has but you don't tend to notice silly things like that on a Land Rover.

Defenders are not really motorway tools - you can battle along at 90mph but they hate strong headwinds.

As for towing and offroad there is nothing that comes close. A bloke I know in Swansea has a 110 TD5 that he uses for boat deliveries all over Europe. He even has a tacho fitted. He wouldn't use anything else and has done over 165,000 miles of heavy towing with NO problems at all - not bad.

Best engine in a 110 is the V8 but sadly not made anymore!!!
Old 08 May 2007, 09:47   #4

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
...Best engine in a 110 is the V8 but sadly not made anymore!!!
Mmm, maybe, cos you'll be lucky to better 12mpg when towing.

Nasher, if you can live with moss growing in your inside window channels, then you'll be ok with a Defender. I can't.

See if you can pick up a Disco at about 50k miles; still not luxurious but a whole lot better than a Defender for general use. Shouldn't be too expensive either.
Old 08 May 2007, 10:43   #5

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Ocean & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzi DT200EFI, DT9.9
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Thanks All

Keep the comments coming.

I was wondering who would be the first to suggest a Disco. Both Mr 7 and Mr Halliday suggested the same thing.

Iíve noticed the defenders do appear to hold their value well.
How much extra torque can you get out of a TD5 with a chip upgrade? Iíve read a bigger intercooler helps as well.

Iíve tried to borrow one for an extended test drive, without any luck, our local Dealer wasnít much help mainly because I took an instant dislike to the salesman who was more interested in the guy looking at Range Rover Sports than me.

I have months and months to make up my mind, and could yet decide to buy a slightly older Amazon or something completely different.

Nasher.
Nasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2007, 10:47   #6

My V8 returns about 18mpg when used gently - 16 is more like it. I am one of the few people who actually gets BETTER economy when towing!!!
Old 08 May 2007, 10:52   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
My V8 returns about 18mpg when used gently - 16 is more like it. I am one of the few people who actually gets BETTER economy when towing!!!
are you saying that when towing your boat you get better than 16-18 using a v8 landy?
Old 08 May 2007, 10:54   #8

As regards the Discovery the finest is a TD5 series II - I had one on lease for a while - it was fantastic. It was an automatic which is normally sluggish but they remapped the later ones to give it the same performance as a manual - it was quite thirsty though but I do have a lead right foot.

Offroad it really was awesome - traction control is brilliant. It is better than a Series I Discovery because it has better clearances. I drove across bare mountain when I lost the track - it just went over the heather and boulders and anything else I pointed it at - the sort of terrain I thought you could only walk. Defenders are better but considering the Discovery would cruise at 100mph on the M4 it was pretty bloody good.

I still prefer the Defender though - it is more fun and you know it's just not another car. In my discovery I seem to be invisible to people and they will never let you out of junctions or anything - in my Defender I NEVER get that problem!!!
Old 08 May 2007, 10:55   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jardon View Post
are you saying that when towing your boat you get better than 16-18 using a v8 landy?

I get about 16 - 18 when towing or driving gently - 14 when pushing it. It really is suprising considering I was getting 22mpg out of a Vectra!!!
Old 08 May 2007, 10:57   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
Thanks All

Keep the comments coming.

I was wondering who would be the first to suggest a Disco. Both Mr 7 and Mr Halliday suggested the same thing.

Iíve noticed the defenders do appear to hold their value well.
How much extra torque can you get out of a TD5 with a chip upgrade? Iíve read a bigger intercooler helps as well.

Iíve tried to borrow one for an extended test drive, without any luck, our local Dealer wasnít much help mainly because I took an instant dislike to the salesman who was more interested in the guy looking at Range Rover Sports than me.

I have months and months to make up my mind, and could yet decide to buy a slightly older Amazon or something completely different.

Nasher.
both friends choped in their defenders for discos as the defenders were too raw!
the es models have plenty of toys and comfort and are pretty good. we have had landies for years and the td5es is the best of the bunch we have had, 300tdi and 200tdi.

they are around 125 hp standard and 135 for auto version, chipping takes them to around 160hp and chip and intercooler etc takes them to around 200hp

there are a lot better engines out there than the 2.5 landy in my opinion, the fiat 2.8jtd common rail for example wipes the floor with the landy engine