Old 28 August 2011, 15:00   #1

Town: Palm Beach
Boat name: Titan
Length: 7m +
Zap Cat / Thunder Cat

These boats look like a lot of fun. The racing looks even better. Is there anyone with these in FL? Is there anyone that would be interested in starting a series? Look them up under either name on youtube.
Old 30 August 2011, 13:05   #2

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
There are quite a few threads about zapcat and thundercat racing in the racing forum on this site. The APBA (American Power Boat Association) refers to this type of boat as 'Superlight Tunnel' boats, and holds races under this category. There is at least one U.S. based member on this forum (Fast Fred). He is in the Massachussets area and is a racing outboard modification guru.

Here is a link to info about an SLT event in the Marathon, FL area:

http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...athon-Race!!!&
Old 30 August 2011, 21:04   #3

Town: Palm Beach
Boat name: Titan
Length: 7m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post
There are quite a few threads about zapcat and thundercat racing in the racing forum on this site. The APBA (American Power Boat Association) refers to this type of boat as 'Superlight Tunnel' boats, and holds races under this category. There is at least one U.S. based member on this forum (Fast Fred). He is in the Massachussets area and is a racing outboard modification guru.

Here is a link to info about an SLT event in the Marathon, FL area:

OPC Invited to APBA's Marathon Race!!!
Thanks for the info. The marathon event was in 2004, but I have sent an email to APBA about the status of schedule. If I get something interesting, or if there is anyone in South FL interested I will post here.
Old 31 August 2011, 16:14   #4

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
There used to be a US manufacturer of ZapCat clones; can't recall their name offhand. Haven't seen any around nor heard about them for quite a while though; maybe out of business? As I recall they were based in someplace like Michigan; I recall thinking it was a kind of unlikely location.

Not a lot of info in this post; sorry.

jky
Old 31 August 2011, 16:32   #5

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
There used to be a US manufacturer of ZapCat clones; can't recall their name offhand. Haven't seen any around nor heard about them for quite a while though; maybe out of business? As I recall they were based in someplace like Michigan; I recall thinking it was a kind of unlikely location.

Not a lot of info in this post; sorry.

jky
There's a whole slew of them, (usually with name variants of Dux, Thunderdux, X-cat, Advanced Cat, X-treme, Sea Wolf, Sea Eagle etc...) which are mostly manufactured in Asia with US or Canadian branding. Generally not considered to be sturdy enough to hold up to the demands of racing. It is best get a genuine South African built brand (Gemini-Evo (zapcat), Ceasar (thundercat), Aquarius, I think there are one or other SA manufacturers).
Old 01 September 2011, 15:21   #6

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Dux was the one I was thinking about. Didn't know they were imports.

Seem to recall seeing a South American manufacturer as well. Might have been a RIB manufacturer, though. It's been a while.

jky
Old 05 September 2011, 13:59   #7

Town: Clarkston MI
Boat name: ThunderCat
Make: Aquarius
Length: under 3m
Engine: Evinrude
Aquarius AquaCat

These boats are the way to go. I just purchased one and love it. Three year warrantee on the race course. There have been way too many horror stories with Dux boats. More info about our members at http://www.facebook.com/thundercatsna or http://inflatableboatracer.webs.com/

http://www.aquariusinflatablesna.com/
Old 05 September 2011, 15:23   #8

Town: Newmarket
Make: Aquarius
Engine: tohatsu
Aqaurius NA

Hey everyone, I am the North American distributor for Aqaurius Inflatables, we are currently getting a firm foundation built of races and dealer support across the country, Our home base is in Ontario Canada but can get anything you need no mater your location in North America.This is a long term plan for us here may it be race support or recreational running. if anyone wants to come out for i ride let me know .feel free to ask any questions or contact me directly if needed 905-715-2209

This summer was a great start looking forward to a great 2012