Old 28 January 2009, 17:48   #1

Town: honolulu
Boat name: no name
Make: Zodiac
Length: 7m +
Engine: twin 90 mercs- petro
The Zodiac Mark 6 Project

Hey Sibber/Ribbers!
The Plan is to turn this hunk of rubber and aluminum into a functioning open ocean dive/tour boat. I could use any advice on how these boats handle, ideas for the transformation, previous experience, electronics, ANYTHING. I like the look of the Titan 249 XL dive config. But I am unsure what can be bolted into the modular aluminum deck. I would like to add, Radar tower, bow spirit for anchor, dive ladder, motor bar, centered back-to-back seating... that's it so far
This is my first go at a SIB/MIB so I have a lot of learning to do!
Thanx for reading and I will keep the progress posted
-AV
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	project2.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	40203   Click image for larger version

Name:	project rear.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	40204   Click image for larger version

Name:	project.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	40205   Click image for larger version

Name:	project front.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	40206   Click image for larger version

Name:	DiveBoatCayman.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	40208  

Old 29 January 2009, 10:37   #2

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
That's a beautiful looking beast! How many gallons does that fuel tank hold?

Supposing it were say, a, 60 gallon tank, would it not be more versatile to fabricate a floor mounted bracket for a dozen Scepter NATO (5 gallon) Jerry cans? This would allow you to fill them at any drive up pump which is probably a much cheaper source of gasoline than a Marina pump.

Here are 6 different configurations for a Mark 6 as offered as 'kits' by zodiac which may give you some ideas forr your boat.

http://www.zodiacmilpro.com/product/...K%206%20HD.pdf

Old 29 January 2009, 11:04   #3

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by avius View Post
But I am unsure what can be bolted into the modular aluminum deck.
Don't know about that particular boat, but the flooring on my Achilles was fairly soft (extruded?) aluminum. I wouldn't have bolted anything to it that generated any kind of force, lest the flooring be wrenched out of shape.

Quote:
I would like to add, (snip) centered back-to-back seating...
I assume you mean bench seats running along the keel line, with passengers facing out over the tubes? That's not an ideal orientation for them, especially in rough water. They tend to rock side-to-side as you hit swells and troughs. Facing forwards is much better.

jky

Edit: Never mind the last - just noticed you're in Hawaii, which, as we all know, doesn't get any swell, except on surfing competition days. (just kidding.)
Old 29 January 2009, 11:47   #4

As Jyasaki mentioned, the aluminum floorboards would not be a suitable platform to attach an anchor post. Any seating attachments to the floorboards would need to have several anchorage points dispersed over a wide area.

How many diving passengers would you like to accomodate? How many touring passengers would you like to accomodate? Would it see most of it's use with divers or with general tours? Do you prefer a stand up console or a jockey seat with console?
Old 03 February 2009, 12:42   #5

Aloha

Thanks for the responses guys, you all pose great questions that have got me thinking.
Prairie tuber; She is quite the beast, I dont know how many gal the tank is because unfortunately the boat is still in transit to my island. I like the Sceptor idea and will probably keep a couple mounted on the radar tower for back ups. Touring is seasonal out here, given the Humpbacks only visit for a few months. So I think most of my business will be SCUBA and snorkel related with a max passenger load of 8 and 15 respectively. As for the layout, here's what I'm thinking; imagine walking from the bow astern; off the bow will be an anchor box, SCUBA tank storage, main console with two seat bench in front and a stand up for captain, then undetermined seating system, gas tank box with three pax bench seat, radar tower w/ Aux. tanx and ladder. I would also like to instal some sort of rtractable sun protection canopy/ bimini.
jyasaki; To keep the modular aluminum deck from getting wrenched out of shape I was thinking of running three 6061-T6 structural aluminum channels down the length of the deck, like stringers on a surfboard. Hopefully this will disperse the force better.

I attatched some more photos of RIBs with the features I like.
I am interested to hear what you guys think!
Mahalo!!
-AV-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT2032.JPG
Views:	238
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	40312   Click image for larger version

Name:	rescue ladder.jpg
Views:	792
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	40314  
Attached Images

Old 05 February 2009, 09:22   #6

Keep in mind that when Zodiac rates it's carrying capacity at 20 people that is based on a military operations configuration where everyone is sitting on the pontoons and the operator with either a small console or at the stern with a tiller. I would expect that if you are offering commercial tours, your passengers will expect that they will have forward facing seats spaced in such a way that they can have a decent view. This will reduce the # of passengers you carry by a fair bit. As for a bow locker for basic boat gear, here is what I did;

http://rib.net/forum/showpost.php?p=254162&postcount=8
Old 09 February 2009, 13:11   #7

Town: San Diego
Boat name: Stormbringer
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Mariner
Congrats!

On your monster SIB!! I saw it on auction and had to pass. shipping to CA would have been a fortune! Did you get the motors as well?
As for your idea about aluminum stringers, Should work well.
good luck!
Old 10 February 2009, 15:09   #8

mahalo

thanx man, spent hell of a lot more than i anticipated to acquire the whole package. the boat just got in yesterday from kauai, cost me 900 bux to send it 70 miles! it would have been cheaper for me to make the crossing myself.... what do you think a fair value on this thing is? it is my first boat and the little research i did mad me feel like it is a worthy investment but, i am now realizing i have a lot more money and work to invest into her. check back to see the transformation from beast to beauty!
-AV
Old 10 February 2009, 20:00   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by avius View Post
.... what do you think a fair value on this thing is? AV

I guess that all depends on its condition, if any repairs are necessary. I know that the List Price on a Mark VI HD sold in Canada back in 2003 was $39,219.00 Canadian (~ 33,000 US). I have no idea what they would have typically gone for once a final selling price had been negotiated (who pays list ).
Old 17 February 2009, 14:08   #10
wes

Town: St. Thomas
How many passengers do you want or expect to carry?