Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 10 June 2014, 00:57   #1
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Port Angeles,WA
Boat name: Hurricane
Make: Zodiac
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 28
Seattle to Alaska

Id like to take a 7M Zodiac from seattle to alaska nxt summer are the diesel midship inboards more reliable than say twin or single e-tec
__________________

__________________
mavrick211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2014, 05:15   #2
Member
 
Maximus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,272
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavrick211 View Post
Id like to take a 7M Zodiac from seattle to alaska nxt summer are the diesel midship inboards more reliable than say twin or single e-tec
I'm somewhat surprised someone contemplating such a trip would be asking such a fundamental question....
For reliability Range AND economy, on which could be 4000 mile round trip!!!!....not to mention ease of re-fuelling..and minor repairs en route for that type of Voyage...A Good! Diesel set up,wins out every time for sure!
__________________

__________________
A clever Man learns by his mistakes..
A Wise Man learns by other people's!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2014, 07:29   #3
RIBnet supporter
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,595
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
I'm somewhat surprised someone contemplating such a trip would be asking such a fundamental question....
For reliability Range AND economy, on which could be 4000 mile round trip!!!!....not to mention ease of re-fuelling..and minor repairs en route for that type of Voyage...A Good! Diesel set up,wins out every time for sure!
As I understood it, he would be towing the boat to Alaska, not sailing it. That adds a new dimension
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2014, 08:27   #4
Member
 
Maximus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,272
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
As I understood it, he would be towing the boat to Alaska, not sailing it. That adds a new dimension
You reckon Dave?...
.why is it not a general point about engines then?..I thought he must be thinking about buying the best Rig for the job...??..
Being the ''E heck E-tec rep''I should have known you'd have spotted this un
Over to you Maverick....
__________________
A clever Man learns by his mistakes..
A Wise Man learns by other people's!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2014, 09:07   #5
RIBnet supporter
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,595
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
You reckon Dave?...
.why is it not a general point about engines then?..I thought he must be thinking about buying the best Rig for the job...??..
Being the ''E heck E-tec rep''I should have known you'd have spotted this un
Over to you Maverick....

I had spotted the Etec reference, but decided not to bite, as I knew someone would be along with a smartarsed comment


.....sh1t happens.......
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2014, 12:19   #6
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Port Angeles,WA
Boat name: Hurricane
Make: Zodiac
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 28
Ya I would be sailing from seattle
My only problem with getting one with a cummins6bt and a Conrad out drive ( and I believe this combination to be the most reliable I can find)
Is the lost deck space and I would like to get some suspension seats it doesn't look like they would work well with the console
__________________
mavrick211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2014, 13:05   #7
Member
 
Maximus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,272
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavrick211 View Post
Ya I would be sailing from seattle
My only problem with getting one with a cummins6bt and a Conrad out drive ( and I believe this combination to be the most reliable I can find)
Is the lost deck space and I would like to get some suspension seats it doesn't look like they would work well with the console
If you are going New...then you can spec the Boat to suit,and if the Zodi doesn't stack up,Im sure you'll find another maker that does..have you looked at Ribcraft 7.8? They take a diesel pretty well,and being towards the rear more..still leave plenty of deck space.
If it's a used Rig,at least you can try before you Buy!
As to Suspension seats... I have Ulmann Biscaya's and can't Fault them
Either way it's an epic Run in. RIB!!..and one I'm sure we'd like to see some pics/video of
__________________
A clever Man learns by his mistakes..
A Wise Man learns by other people's!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2014, 13:20   #8
Member
 
kerny's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 60
MMSI: 235087492
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,040
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
You reckon Dave?...
.why is it not a general point about engines then?..I thought he must be thinking about buying the best Rig for the job...??..
Being the ''E heck E-tec rep''I should have known you'd have spotted this un
Over to you Maverick....
Looks like you was right mate that Pikey fella knows feck all
__________________
Member of S.A.B.S. (Lancashire Division)
kerny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2014, 13:24   #9
Member
 
kerny's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 60
MMSI: 235087492
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,040
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
You reckon Dave?...
.why is it not a general point about engines then?..I thought he must be thinking about buying the best Rig for the job...??..
Being the ''E heck E-tec rep''I should have known you'd have spotted this un
Over to you Maverick....
Looks like you was right mate that Pikey fella knows feck all
__________________
Member of S.A.B.S. (Lancashire Division)
kerny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2014, 13:46   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
..have you looked at Ribcraft 7.8?
__________________

__________________
Mollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:34.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.