Old 10 June 2014, 04:57   #1

Town: seattle,wa
Boat name: Hurricane
Make: Zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude
Seattle to Alaska

Id like to take a 7M Zodiac from seattle to alaska nxt summer are the diesel midship inboards more reliable than say twin or single e-tec
Old 10 June 2014, 09:15   #2

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavrick211 View Post
Id like to take a 7M Zodiac from seattle to alaska nxt summer are the diesel midship inboards more reliable than say twin or single e-tec
I'm somewhat surprised someone contemplating such a trip would be asking such a fundamental question....
For reliability Range AND economy, on which could be 4000 mile round trip!!!!....not to mention ease of re-fuelling..and minor repairs en route for that type of Voyage...A Good! Diesel set up,wins out every time for sure!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2014, 11:29   #3

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
I'm somewhat surprised someone contemplating such a trip would be asking such a fundamental question....
For reliability Range AND economy, on which could be 4000 mile round trip!!!!....not to mention ease of re-fuelling..and minor repairs en route for that type of Voyage...A Good! Diesel set up,wins out every time for sure!
As I understood it, he would be towing the boat to Alaska, not sailing it. That adds a new dimension
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2014, 12:27   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
As I understood it, he would be towing the boat to Alaska, not sailing it. That adds a new dimension
You reckon Dave?...
.why is it not a general point about engines then?..I thought he must be thinking about buying the best Rig for the job...??..
Being the ''E heck E-tec rep''I should have known you'd have spotted this un
Over to you Maverick....

Old 10 June 2014, 13:07   #5

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
You reckon Dave?...
.why is it not a general point about engines then?..I thought he must be thinking about buying the best Rig for the job...??..
Over to you Maverick....

I had spotted the Etec reference, but decided not to bite, as I knew someone would be along with a smartarsed comment

.....sh1t happens.......
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2014, 16:19   #6

Ya I would be sailing from seattle
My only problem with getting one with a cummins6bt and a Conrad out drive ( and I believe this combination to be the most reliable I can find)
Is the lost deck space and I would like to get some suspension seats it doesn't look like they would work well with the console
Old 10 June 2014, 17:05   #7

Quote:
Ya I would be sailing from seattle
My only problem with getting one with a cummins6bt and a Conrad out drive ( and I believe this combination to be the most reliable I can find)
Is the lost deck space and I would like to get some suspension seats it doesn't look like they would work well with the console
If you are going New...then you can spec the Boat to suit,and if the Zodi doesn't stack up,Im sure you'll find another maker that does..have you looked at Ribcraft 7.8? They take a diesel pretty well,and being towards the rear more..still leave plenty of deck space.
If it's a used Rig,at least you can try before you Buy!
As to Suspension seats... I have Ulmann Biscaya's and can't Fault them
Either way it's an epic Run in. RIB!!..and one I'm sure we'd like to see some pics/video of

Old 10 June 2014, 17:20   #8

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
You reckon Dave?...
Over to you Maverick....
Looks like you was right mate that Pikey fella knows feck all
Old 10 June 2014, 17:24   #9

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
You reckon Dave?...
Over to you Maverick....
Looks like you was right mate that Pikey fella knows feck all
Old 10 June 2014, 17:46   #10

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
..have you looked at Ribcraft 7.8?
Old 10 June 2014, 20:48   #11

I'm not rich enough to buy a new one
My options are the 7m Willard and zodiacs that have been reconditioned or are in good condition
My question is
Are the inboard diesels more reliable
Than if I bought 2 150 e-tech
Some one had commented on another post that having the engine in the middle is more stable better in the rough
The drawback for me for diesel is the lost deck space and top speed is reduced by 10
I'm looking for feedback from some one that has experience with the yanmar or cummins
Yanmar is faster like in the interceptor zodiacs 50mph
Old 10 June 2014, 21:49   #12

Town: Hood River
Boat name: Seal Team 7
Make: Zodiac SRA-750
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude ETEC G2 300
MMSI: WDI 8895
Quote:
I'm not rich enough to buy a new one
My options are the 7m Willard and zodiacs that have been reconditioned or are in good condition
When you say Sailing what do you mean? Confusing thread, are you running the rib up the inland passage or towing or other and please explain how and by what vessel.

Regarding diesel. It's a tricky question. The 6bt / Konrad platform is extremely reliable except after being abused by the Navy. I have one and got it from one of the supposed refurbishers but now I've pretty much redone or replaced everything that was originally done. Beware of throw away work.

I also believe the Willard / 6BT exhaust design is a problem. Countless posts on boatdiesel about the problem on other boats but basically, the exhaust outlet is too low and can let in seawater if engine is shutdown in a seaway. Basically Navy gets around this by launching and retrieving these boats while still running.

Lesson #1: Don't look at engine hours. If the hours are low and the engine was installed 7-8 years ago (typical Navy rotation), then more hours might actually be better. Marine age is what kills them. Sitting idle all the time on the deck of a Navy ship, sometimes half submersed in sea water in the bilge because the only maintenance is FLOCs (Fluid lube oil change).

Lesson #2: Buying a 6BT, goto boatdiesel.com and figure out how to properly survey this engine. Exhaust especially (salt water intrusion through turbo) and measure blow-by NOT compression.

Lesson #3: If you do need to replace one or all the mechanical that goes with it, expect it will cost a whole lot.

Lesson #4: I have high standards, now that I know what I know, I would buy a hull myself at auction and redo it from scratch. Basically this is now what I have.

But mine is a Cummins QSB 330hp with a Konrad 560, so it cruises at 30-34 kts and tops at 40 kts. The cruise range is 3-3.7 nm per gallon and 200+ nm range. See the Diesel Repower thread.

It's an awesome boat though. Your post says Hurricane 7m+. What do you already own?

Regarding the Diesel Willard combo. It's very comfortable in a sea. The mod boat weight is very well balanced and the drive can trim the boat up and down effectively. Yes the shock seats won't really work (you won't need them. reg seat is fine) esp if you keep the stern box. It can be removed, but you need storage somewhere and it is a good location for the diesel.

That being said. Outboards can be fixed and sometimes more easily in places such as Alaska.
Old 10 June 2014, 22:00   #13

I think I've seen your vids
Why did you decide to upgrade engine
Old 10 June 2014, 22:09   #14

My engine 6BT ran fine when I bought it (200hrs supposedly) but was repainted (always a bad sign). Turbo had been replaced (hmm). After I owned it I also found out Injection pump was not original and turns out was pretty hammered (way more than 200hrs) and needed all new guts. Anyway, I had numerous oil / seal leaks and problems and developed bad blow by, then it went away and then engine started smoking badly (40hrs only in my use). Head off and we found badly scored cylinders and pistons and salt water intrusion thru exhaust at turbo (all previous life).

Others have had great luck. If you know how to properly survey them and do so, you greatly increase your odds of getting a good one. The one thing about this combo with 6BT is it is loud (mechanical diesel) and not great top end. The QSB solved both but at a cost.

I really only have myself to blame because all the bells went off when reviewing the boat, but I chose to ignore them because I was so in love with the willards and still am. I just have a really awesome one now after a ton of work and money.
Old 11 June 2014, 03:43   #15

Thx for the reply
I guess I'm kinda like you I want ultra reliability and am willing to pay to get it
Did you do a brand new Konrad 560 as well?

How much was the engine
Old 12 June 2014, 16:17   #16

The 560 is the leg only. I bolted it to existing 520 transom assembly and trim cylinders etc.

Engine new? A lot, I don't have a figure but I believe they are around 30k ouch. Although 2 new outboards would be similar.

My engine was a never used new engine but was 6 yrs stored in warehouse for a new build that never completed.

Going up in HP is not easy as you need all new exhaust and different supporting infra like bigger fuel lines. Plus the fuel tank on Willard is 34 gal so too small. Installing a diesel is not cheap either.