Old 12 June 2007, 20:39   #1

Town: Rhode Island
Make: avon
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90hp merc
RIBnet New England Meet Plan B - Oakland to Newport - Sunday 1 July 2007

I do hope that we can get together for the ride, I also wanted to say that if the shirts were made up I will gladly pay for mine, I had asked for 3 and dont want anyone to get stuck with them. If they are made up let me know and Ill send you a check. We will take the ride so they are still needed.

I also wanted to let any one interested know that I am thinking of taking my boat out to see the tall ships in newport RI. They are there the weekend of the 30th of june. I am thinking of going that sunday for when they sail out of the bay. Anyone interested can let me know. It is suposed to be the largest gathering of the ships for a long time. I will see if I can find any other info out.

Old 12 June 2007, 22:45   #2

Town: Windsor CT
Boat name: Blue Moon
Make: ribcraft 6.5
Engine: 150 hp honda
MMSI: 338051172
Learn to fly: My wife and I may be interested in Newport. Is there ramp to launch the boat from near you or somewhere nearby? It's a long way by boat from Long Island Sound area where we usually launch in the ocean. It would be a great ride, but with the price of gas and all I'd rather put her in closer to Newport.

Let me know.

Bill

Old 12 June 2007, 23:18   #3

hello, There are plenty of ramps around here, I last put in at oakland beach in warwick RI and figure I could get to newport in about 30 minutes, there are a few choices around. It would be better to lauch a bit away and boat over because it will be crowded anywhere close. I will check into seeing if there is a public ramp at quonset point. It is an old navy base and would be a nice ride to newport harbor from there. If we figure out when they are leaving we should be able to see a great show. Im going away the week before that and come home that sat. The boats are leaving that Sunday and I am hopeing that I get a chance and enough ambition to take a ride to see them sunday. from what I have read it will be one of the largest amount of ships for about 20 years at one time. Ive never seen them there but figure it will be a zoo on land. The only way to see them would be from the sea
Old 13 June 2007, 08:58   #4

Town: Marblehead
Boat name: Calypso
Make: Protector 28
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2x Verado 225
Tall Ships

I was planning on heading down to Newport by car to check them out, but now that you mention it, trailering the RIB down might be more fun. Good idea.

I'm money-good for the T-shirt too, if someone's looking for $$$
Old 13 June 2007, 09:17   #5

Thanks, let me know what you find out regarding boat ramps. Then if it's a go arrange to meet.

Bill
Old 13 June 2007, 14:01   #6

Town: Marblehead, MA
Boat name: Bouncy Pumpkin
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude 90 E-TEC
There's a great ramp and plenty of free trailer/vehicle day parking at Fort Adams. No overnight parking though.

I could be in for Sunday 7/1, possibly. Need to check with my wife about other stuff going on that weekend.
Old 13 June 2007, 19:01   #7

that is a nice ramp but I dont think you would get anywhere near there that whole weekend, I thought it would be better to launch and take a short ride over but I could be wrong. Id hate to drive there and find it so crowded there might even not be many spaces left. This in my humble oppinion. I have not been to newport when the ships are there but even on a normal nice day in the summer it can be buisy. I will look for some different options for anyone.
Old 13 June 2007, 21:09   #8

I think you are right. We would also enjoy a cruise to and from Newport. What ramp do you use to put in in that area?

Bill
Old 13 June 2007, 21:27   #9

I must be getting old, I missed your post the other day where you mentioned the Oakland Ramp. I found a review of it and it seems to be a decent ramp. Warwick is less than two hours for me and sounds ok.

We can call that a plan if that sound good to you. We can set a time to meet and call it a plan.

Bill
Old 13 June 2007, 22:16   #10

yes, I have used the oakland beach ramp and it is a great ride to newport. The ramp is a double cement with a large dock that will allow 2 or 3 boats to unload and tie up on both sides, even when it was buisy it went very fast in and out. there is a preety good amount of parking there also...