Old 04 November 2009, 01:47   #1

Length: no boat
Novurania vs Nautica

Hi,

Im looking at either a Novurania 460DL (15') with an Evinrude 90hp or a Nautica Widebody 15' with an Evinrude 90hp.

Im located in Canada and these 2 brands are very popular here and easy to get. Which of these two is the best? And is there another brand you think is MUCH better and worth me looking into?

Also Evinrude and Yamaha seem to be all i see around here...ive done some research and it seems Evinrude outboard are some of the best...would you agree?

thanks in advance!

cheers!
Old 09 November 2009, 23:09   #2

anyone?
Old 11 November 2009, 16:28   #3

Town: Richmond, B.C.
Boat name: ZAP
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 70 HP Tohatsu
You don't say where in this large country of Canada you reside, I assume since your name is bcboater that perhaps you live in BC. The reason for asking is the answers to your questions would vary somewhat on where you do your boating and what kind of boating you are into....
Old 11 November 2009, 23:54   #4

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
There is no "best" of anything.

How appropriate the boats will be depends on your take of how you will use them, and what you want on them.

My buddy's 15.5 Zodiac is a great 2-3 person RIB; add dive gear and he has trouble taking more than himself and one other diver. Contrast that to my Polaris, where it begins getting crowded at about 5, and will handle 7 (better be close friends though.)

As far as motors go, well, Yamaha and Evinrude have both been in business for quite a while. If one was so much better than the other, they probably wouldn't both be around.

Don't really know much about either brand you're looking at; they always struck me more as tenders for the bubble boat crowd: euro styling, cushy accomodations, etc. I don't recall ever seeing either make in the water where I boat (but I also don't hang around the larger marinas and such; that may be partly why.)

How about flagging down a couple of owners and asking them what they think about their RIB's? Most boat owners I know are more than happy to chat about their babies.

jky
Old 14 November 2009, 22:53   #5

Town: Victoria
I can't speak to the Nautica but I own a Novurania 460DL and I have been very happy with the boat. I purchased through Canadian Inflatables. Great boat for cruising the gulf Islands. I run a Yamaha 50 4 stroke and find it plenty of motor. Novurania's are high end tender and are built very well. Handles well with 4 adults aboard. Hope this helps.
Cheers
Old 16 November 2009, 13:51   #6

Town: Windsor CT
Boat name: Blue Moon
Make: ribcraft 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 hp honda
MMSI: 338051172
Hi BC,

Both boats are well made tender class boats. The Nautica is a semi-custom USA made boat. Novurania is more an order off the shelf boat. Spec-wise both are very close. Neither seems to be a real rough and ready rib in the mold of an SR. Both come with bench seating, which many find so-so in rough sea conditions. That said, what are the ages and what about condition? Any patches? How about the dealers? Which one seems better able to provide support or service if need be? Perhaps the answers to those questions will help guide you to a decision.

Bill

www.eclecticwonders.com uncommon art
Old 16 November 2009, 15:53   #7

It's actually kind of rare to find jockey seats on this side of the pond. Not really sure why, except that maybe most of us North Americans tend to pick our days for boating more than our European compatriots.

As far as the motors go, I would select on nearness and availability of service and parts more so than reputations, all other things being equal (which probably doesn't help much, I know...)

jky
Old 16 November 2009, 16:02   #8

I agree on the seats, Ribcraft is probably one of the few here, but my first rib had a convertible bench seat which could be used as a leaning post when the going got rough, and it made a big difference. You're right about the motor, which goes along with the boat. Buy what can be serviced locally. The best motor is one that is running, and the best rib is the one that can get fixed locally if needed.

Bill
Old 17 November 2009, 15:51   #9

Bench seats with a swing back type convertible leaning post should be easy to find. Most offshore fishing boats that don't have a dedicated leaning post will have something similar to that. If you can't locate one for an example, check out the Boston Whaler website, as I know they're on there.

But, for jockey seats, well, wish you luck in the search. Might be easier to have one built up (either glassed plywood, or, if you're a glutton for punishment, making your own mold and laying one up.)

jky
Old 17 November 2009, 20:32   #10

I have jockey seats in my 6.5 Ribcraft. I like them, my wife still can't get 100% used to them, but is ok with them. Other then shock mitigating seats, nothing better IMHO.

Bill