Old 07 January 2007, 09:29   #11

Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
The main problem is most of the lights available or for sale is really cheap crap, commonly made in china or elsewhere, usually flimsy. I am amazed with modern technology some company out there has not found a niche making good resonably priced reliable immersible lights for trailers, and in the process made a name for themselves. Hey Blue sea systems, how about making some lights?

Old 07 January 2007, 10:18   #12

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
My trailer is in and out of the water several times each week and there is no such thing as a perfect light. I switched to LED lights last summer and so far, they have been good. In my opinion, the trick is to solder connections and (with traditional bulbs) coat the connections with some type of anti-corrosion goop. I also tend to turn the lights on after they come out of the water.... my logic being that the heat will dry the connections faster and this should reduce the corrosion... in theory! I also avoid dunking the lights if they have been on for a while. I don't think that there is anything inherently destructive about immersion... it's the temperature change and corrosion that cause problems.

One of the first posts I made on Rib.net was to ask our UK brethern about lights ('cause of the salt water..) and discovered that they seem to use light bars that are removed prior to launching... This seems like the best solution, although a bit of a pain. Perhaps the lights mounted on posts suggested already is the best alternative...

None the less, I always carry a complete light change, spare bulbs and crimping tools in my truck when I am heading away someplace. In my experience, the odds of a light failure increases directly with the distance from home...

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 January 2007, 11:15   #13

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Stoo,

Your right. In the UK we have light bars that are removed prior to launching and it is a pain

However if you guys come up with something that works in saltwater and we can get it in the UK I'm sure I'll be one of the first to try it out.
Old 07 January 2007, 11:59   #14

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
However if you guys come up with something that works in saltwater and we can get it in the UK I'm sure I'll be one of the first to try it out.
I've always maintained that the guy who comes up with a "bomb-proof" lighting system is going to get rich. I'm no engineer, but I just don't think it should be that difficult, so I assme it's one of those "yes it can be done, but not cheap enough to be practical" things...

I have lights I've been diving with for years and years without problems. All it takes is a good o-ring and a little lube now and again!

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 January 2007, 04:09   #15

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
I also avoid dunking the lights if they have been on for a while. I don't think that there is anything inherently destructive about immersion... it's the temperature change and corrosion that cause problems.
Very true. I've seen several bulbs shattered, probably due to a hot bulb being dunked in cold water.

I always unplug the trailer lights after arriving in the lot, and allow them to cool (assuming they heated up) while removing tie-downs, mounting the radio, and loading the dive gear. Just gotta remember to reconnect them before taking off again.

Quote:
None the less, I always carry a complete light change, spare bulbs and crimping tools in my truck when I am heading away someplace. In my experience, the odds of a light failure increases directly with the distance from home...
I've got bulbs, but figure an emergency repair is wire ends stripped and twisted, and a few wraps of electrical tape. But I did just get a couple of toys: a nifty little refillable butane torch, and a butane soldering iron, so maybe I'll throw a more complete repair kit together. Then again, maybe not...

On the bullet-proof lighting thing, I've got another pet peeve about trailer accessories: Why can't they build a trailer jack that will last more than a year with salt water use? Seems that it should be easy enough; just have to choose materials that, when used near salt water, DON'T CORRODE (emphasis for the benefit of trailer accessory engineers.)

On my previous trailer, the jack got submerged pretty often; it lasted, on average, about 6 months before replacement was mandated (turny bits no longer turned.) The new trailer keeps the jack out of the water, but the jack still only lasted about a year (and that's with occasional tear-down and cleanup and grease loading.)

So, as long as we're dreaming about quality parts, well...

jky