Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 18 September 2012, 12:51   #31
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,653
Still unclear on the history.

1) When was the boat built? 1a) What was the warranty period when new? Was the warranty transferrable (unless purchased new)?
2) When did you take possession of it? Was it previously owned?
3) When did you notice the leak?
4) Did Merc initially try to remedy the situation, or just off-load it to Defender?
5) After Defender worked on it, how long was it until you reported the on-going problem?
6) Did you try to amicably resolve the problem through Merc again, or did you rant at them the way you have on here? (and yes, this is a legitimate question.)

There are numerous instances of boating companies not standing behind their products, just as there are numerous instances where they did. But complaining to a group about your situation without clarifying exactly what that situation is won't get you anything more than a little satisfaction from venting.

jky
__________________

__________________
jyasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2012, 15:05   #32
Member
 
Country: Canada
Town: Quebec city
Make: Zodiac hurricane
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribraff View Post
This tube looks exactly the same as the DT 750 Valiant sectional tube, can you recognise if it is manufactured in PU or Hypalon?
Is it possible that this is a DT 750 Valiant and rebadged? This tube can not be fitted with the hull upside down
... and if you can find someone who will manufacture and fit you a new one for $5000 US then good luck!!
The 5000$ I mentionned is for replacing the tube only, not the tube itself.
__________________

__________________
Boulet Lemelin Yacht inc.
1125 boul. Champlain
Québec QC G1K 0A2 Canada
educhesne@blyacht.com
achille2124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2012, 15:09   #33
Member
 
Country: USA
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnjack View Post
Have you called Defender?

Is this a PVC, hypalon or polyurethane boat?
No have not called Defender. It was all arranged through Mercury. Here is the video for those of you that missed the result of Mercury's wonderful repair:
__________________
garyboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2012, 15:13   #34
Member
 
Country: USA
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Still unclear on the history.

1) When was the boat built? 1a) What was the warranty period when new? Was the warranty transferrable (unless purchased new)?
2) When did you take possession of it? Was it previously owned?
3) When did you notice the leak?
4) Did Merc initially try to remedy the situation, or just off-load it to Defender?
5) After Defender worked on it, how long was it until you reported the on-going problem?
6) Did you try to amicably resolve the problem through Merc again, or did you rant at them the way you have on here? (and yes, this is a legitimate question.)

There are numerous instances of boating companies not standing behind their products, just as there are numerous instances where they did. But complaining to a group about your situation without clarifying exactly what that situation is won't get you anything more than a little satisfaction from venting.

jky
Am I ranting? Go buy a Mercury. See for yourself. Not sure why you are defending them. Good luck if you do. Boat was new. The problem surfaced AGAIN a few months after the Defender repair. Mercury was notified immediately - although it was not easy to get the product manager on the phone. He didnt return my calls until I called his boss. Lovely.
__________________
garyboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2012, 15:17   #35
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyboat View Post
No have not called Defender. It was all arranged through Mercury. Here is the video for those of you that missed the result of Mercury's wonderful repair
Nobody missed it the first time. Was Defender the original dealer?

You still don't seem to want to answer people's questions about how old the boat is, when the problem started, your correspondence with Mercury and your dealer, and the rest of the questions people here have asked you.

So you are coming off as a wingnut crank.
__________________
captnjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2012, 15:20   #36
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,925
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnjack View Post
So you are coming off as a wingnut crank.
...a triple video posting wingnut crank
__________________
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2012, 15:21   #37
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Gary can you answer the unanswered questions. A chronology/timeline would be most informative and help everyone understand your side of the story. As you've now been asked the same questions be several people and prevaricated, are we to assume that the answers would not support your case?

Answering 1-6 from jky together with who you bought the boat from (I assume Merc don't sell direct in the US like the UK) would be a good start.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2012, 15:22   #38
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
...a triple video posting wingnut crank
quadruple - he double posted it the first time he put it up too!
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2012, 14:48   #39
Member
 
Country: USA
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnjack View Post
Nobody missed it the first time. Was Defender the original dealer?

You still don't seem to want to answer people's questions about how old the boat is, when the problem started, your correspondence with Mercury and your dealer, and the rest of the questions people here have asked you.

So you are coming off as a wingnut crank.
The double posting seems to have something to do with how the forum is handling the link. I did not insert it twice. The boat is a 2005 boat bought in 2007. Bought from Inflatable Service and Supply in the state of Washington - a Mercury dealer at that time. Do you guys have any link to Mercury or interest in defending them? Certainly seems like it. Again, if anybody is considering buying a Mercury: Do yourself a favor and call me at 212-684-0200 during East Coast business hours. You will see very quickly that I am not a "wingnut" or whatever.
__________________
garyboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2012, 16:00   #40
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,925
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyboat View Post
Do you guys have any link to Mercury or interest in defending them? Certainly seems like it.
I doubt that they do, I certainly don't. You however are still being VERY shy with the details, although we're getting somewhere with you.

You have finally revealed after 11 posts (and quite a few in the naughty box too) that the boat is a 2005, bought (by you?) in 2007. You might do us the honor of telling us if it was you and what the remaining warranty was on the boat when you acquired it. You also haven't said what the original fault/damage was, just that the repair didn't hold.

All in all, I still think that you're trying to manipulate a complaints process by using this forum to badmouth Mercury. I don't think that anyone on here is buying your story and I strongly suspect that Mercury have had a long and difficult time with you.

Anyway, now that you're here - welcome to RIBnet
__________________

__________________
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:34.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.