Old 27 May 2016, 16:14   #1

Town: Maryland
Length: no boat
Avon 540 Hypalon Question

Looked at an 80s Avon 540 today and looks to be in good shape overall and I may buy it as they look fun. The owner states that the tubes are new from 2000...yep 16 years ago. That being said I saw no patches or seam issues from my amateur eyes. I asked him when it was pumped up last and he scratched his head and said sometime before winter and hasn't added air...it was fully inflated btw. He has kept it in his garage so there is some fading of the blue tubes (not painted) but some cleaning would bring out more of the color possibly.

Can you masters of prognostication be able to give a rough idea on how many years is reasonable, assuming covered when not in use. It would be trailered and used in the mid-atlantic area...I also plan to use 303 on it regularly also.

Thanks!
Old 31 May 2016, 18:07   #2

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by sufius View Post
Looked at an 80s Avon 540 today and looks to be in good shape overall and I may buy it as they look fun. The owner states that the tubes are new from 2000...yep 16 years ago. That being said I saw no patches or seam issues from my amateur eyes. I asked him when it was pumped up last and he scratched his head and said sometime before winter and hasn't added air...it was fully inflated btw. He has kept it in his garage so there is some fading of the blue tubes (not painted) but some cleaning would bring out more of the color possibly.

Can you masters of prognostication be able to give a rough idea on how many years is reasonable, assuming covered when not in use. It would be trailered and used in the mid-atlantic area...I also plan to use 303 on it regularly also.

Thanks!
Is the material nice and soft?
Does it feel like canvas?
Look closely...do you see cracks in the surface? Mold spots?

I have seen hypalon/csm/neoprene type boats last 40 years. I've also seen them last less than 10 years. It all depends on the environment and amount of use.

Blue tubes = Probably an Avon Adventure it sounds like? Probably an Adventure 560 like mine?
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2016, 19:49   #3

I know the hypalon tubes were shipped from England is all the owner states and may be all he knows. I hope to buy it from him within a week or two if all goes well as the price is reasonable. There were no cracks nor mold spots that I saw when I looked at the tubes. They seemed a bit faded but no exposed stitching or any patches at all and they seemed to feel more like canvas if my memory serves correct. I do not know how deep the blue was to begin with to determine how much it did fade. The deck/hull was painted but appears to have been orange previously and made white...poorly as some of the areas that were harder to reach were still orange. I just would prefer to not make a purchase and have to fully rig the boat where I could just end up buying one here in the states for less fully done...been there and done that with other boats lol.
Old 07 June 2016, 12:56   #4

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by sufius View Post
I know the hypalon tubes were shipped from England is all the owner states and may be all he knows. I hope to buy it from him within a week or two if all goes well as the price is reasonable. There were no cracks nor mold spots that I saw when I looked at the tubes. They seemed a bit faded but no exposed stitching or any patches at all and they seemed to feel more like canvas if my memory serves correct. I do not know how deep the blue was to begin with to determine how much it did fade. The deck/hull was painted but appears to have been orange previously and made white...poorly as some of the areas that were harder to reach were still orange. I just would prefer to not make a purchase and have to fully rig the boat where I could just end up buying one here in the states for less fully done...been there and done that with other boats lol.
Some chalking and oxidization of the CSM topcoating is normal.

Post many pictures and we can help?
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 June 2016, 01:14   #5

Thanks good to know!

I couldn't take pics when I was there...I was severely rushed and just asked the owner for a quick look. The owner's pictures he posted were horrific and would be of no use lol. Heck, I did not even know the tubes were blue until I got there. If I can get back over there next week I will try and see the boat again and snap some pics.

Thanks again!
Old 13 June 2016, 01:14   #6

Town: Rhode Island
Make: avon
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90hp merc
not sure if u were looking for a 5.4 searider but it seems that with the blue tubes it may be an avon adventure. definitly not the same boats. make sure u know what boat u r looking at..
Old 15 June 2016, 19:30   #7

Town: Connecticut
Make: Zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: Undecided
It is a Searider he was looking at. The tubes are now factory tubes. Hull is definitely a Searider. I was looking at it too.
www.DinghyPro.net
cgoing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avon