Old 26 September 2006, 07:21   #1

Town: Vancouver
Make: Zodiac SRMN
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 100
Advise for a freshman please

If anyone out there has something to say about the boat I'm about to drop some decent cash on - I'd be happy to hear from you... I'm new to boating in a way that I've never owned a boat myself - I did spend many days diving off the friend's and commercial boats as well as general cruising; now is time for my own toy; I hope to use it for cruising with family and (with approval from higher authority ;-)) few buddies as well as some scuba diving.
And now down to specs: Zodiac 500 SRMN with Yamaha 100 OB. Boat has been built in 2001 and OB in 2000 - story from sellers is (and I believe in it) that it has been used only one season (100 hrs on meter) and put together last year. Prior to that boat itself was rented at times to Filming (?Movie) Company and used as a prop. Current owner works for Zodiac and manufactures custom aluminum accessories (seats, consoles etc) - check out pics: he made all alu components himself. There is very little wear on the boat that I can notice and most electronics are new and pretty high end.
The asking price is 26K CAN but I think I can get better than that.
Hope to hear from you - now back to another sleepless night...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SRMN 009.jpg
Views:	1100
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	22390   Click image for larger version

Name:	new 029.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	22391   Click image for larger version

Name:	SRMN 001.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	22392   Click image for larger version

Name:	SRMN 007.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	22393  
Old 26 September 2006, 09:24   #2

Town: Dartmouth
Boat name: Puffling
Make: Avon Rover 3.4m
Engine: Mercury 15hp
Send a message via MSN to badbaws
Expensive

That is expensive for a 5 year old boat that is under 6 metres!! Find a different one.. or offer them about £15,000
Alex
Old 26 September 2006, 09:33   #3

FOr reference...

A new 150 yamaha HPDI is only £10,000 and then the hull itself.. go find a nice 6 metre hull for about £7000 and a good trailer for £1500 and you get a brand new warrantied engine and it will have more grunt than the 4 stroke on that boat..
If you want a zodiac go on boatsand outboards...use this link..

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F88766/

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/GML082/

Or an Avon...

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/BHG146/

So yes there are better priced boats out there...
Go to a dealer of your choice and spec a boat up how you want it.. Then you can compare to secondhand values
Old 26 September 2006, 09:36   #4

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Erm

C$26000 is £12298 according to www.xe.com so an offer of £15000 would be well received

Does seem a lot though, my 2000 Humber was £7000 when I bought it though of course the expense doesn't stop there....
Old 26 September 2006, 09:51   #5

Opps

Ok then I might read the CAN currency next time.. Is still over priced go in at about £11000 or less
Also an outboard with very few hours can sometimes be in worse shape if it has been neglected so be very careful..
Old 26 September 2006, 11:46   #6

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Actually I think that's a reasonable price in Canada given the scarcity of supply of ribs, new or used. It would be expensive in the UK but thats not relevant to the OP.
Old 26 September 2006, 14:25   #7

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Totally agree - looking at what our Yank cousins are paying for older RIBs this does seem like a good buy - look on Ebay in the US/Canada and there are very few around - what there is tends to be smaller tenders.
Old 26 September 2006, 16:26   #8

Thanks for your support Alan ;-)
You are right - there are not many RIBs to choose from out here. Main inflatable dealer in Vancouver area has few in this size range but after careful comparison I figured it would cost me same or more for basic " civilian" version Explorer 500 with smaller OB and no "goodies" on it; and those accessories add up big time... What I like about the boat is that it has extension on the back (again aluminum) for outboard which gives impression of more space inside the boat - rear bench sits right against the transom. I am limited with size because I figure 5 meter is all I can tow with my car - and here is another question for all you guys in Europe (I'm from there too): what are you towing your RIBs with? I don't remember seeing as many trucks in your part of the world as there is in North America... I have VW Passat with 1.8T and figure the whole package should not weigh more than 1600-1800 lbs (that is around 820kg) - any ideas?
By the way - I was able to negotiate the price down to 23k - which adds up to around 11k pound sterling (where are those darn symbols..?). I'll take it for a spin on the water tomorrow - wish me luck.
Old 26 September 2006, 17:12   #9

Richard,

In Europe we tow RIB's and other boats with normal cars or small to midsize SUV's. It's a particularly North American thing to require a 5.4 Litre V8 pickup truck to tow a medium sized boat! So for example I used to tow a 6.5m RIB with a Ford Mondeo (aka Contour in Canada). That was about the limit for that sized car. When I had a 7.5m boat and trailer (around 2250kg all up) I used an Isuzu Trooper SUV.

Your Passat should be more than man enough for that RIB imho. Only problem will be on slips that are slippery/beach launches etc. Thats when 4x4 comes into its own. Do a search, there have been numerous threads on towing and towcars on rib.net

Cheers,
Alan
Old 26 September 2006, 18:13   #10

Town: Plougastel-Daoulas
Boat name: Kristha
Make: Narwhal HD580
Engine: Tohatsu 90hp TLDI
100hrs and the paint on the prop is wearing out already big time, where was it used?Apart from this, the civilian version (Bombard Explorer DB500) tubes may be made of PVC, not Hypalon (that's the case in France). Oh and the GRP is not as thick on the civilian version either. The hull shape is similar since 2006 and I like it a lot, manages pretty well for its size in a chop.
Old 26 September 2006, 19:16   #11

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Doesn't look like a Yamaha prop. I thought they were all white in colour.
Old 26 September 2006, 19:26   #12
pop

Town: Paihia
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: indoard yam 420 sti
You can get a scorpion 8.1m diesel for the same price, i would offer 25k for the scorpion as its coming to the end of the summer he will be lucky to sell it. www.lymingtonmarinesales.co.uk just shiped a rib to nz for 2,800 so cant be that much to canada
Old 26 September 2006, 20:24   #13

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles
Doesn't look like a Yamaha prop. I thought they were all white in colour.
The standard Yamaha stainless props are what they're calling "black steel", which is stainless with a teflon (I think) paint.

Their performance and pro series props are unfinished stainless.

The aluminums are, I think for the most part, still painted white.

jky
Old 26 September 2006, 20:26   #14

Guys! I appreciate all the input but...23K is in canadian currency - this is harldy 11k in british - if you get me a 8 meter Scorpion for that money I'll pay the shipping gladly.
I'll check that prop issue - maybe it's from another motor? Thanks.
Old 26 September 2006, 20:28   #15

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki
The standard Yamaha stainless props are what they're calling "black steel", which is stainless with a teflon (I think) paint.

jky
Looks like an old alloy prop to me. Taken a battering but not a major problem just got to factor in the cost of a replacement.
Old 26 September 2006, 20:45   #16

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki

jky
That's 100% correct.

That prop is fine, it's exactly the way you would expect to find it.
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2006, 21:47   #17

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
as a freshman myself having owned a similar sized boat for half a season the following things come to mind looking at the pics .

It seems a huge engine for a 5m is it within what zodiac spec.

The large consul and back seat etc don't leave much room on board for the family especially if you want to fish or get changed for swimming etc .

why has the motor got that fin fitted , the consul and wieght of seats and passengers is all near to the back end , is it stern heavy?

I would get someone to look at it and drive it who knows ribs and can compare to others .
Old 26 September 2006, 22:22   #18

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes
It seems a huge engine for a 5m is it within what zodiac spec...
If you check out your facts, you'll find that it''s in spec for this model.
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2006, 22:26   #19

Some good points. Even with bench, seat and console I find it has plenty of room; it has 80 liter aluminum gas tank in the bow which doubles as a seat when covered by a cushion - it also adds weight to the front. There is room for at least 4 scuba tanks (standing) between console and the gas tank. Like I said before, I checked out standard Explorer 500 which had only single pilot seat + console and it felt more cramped for room.
As to about size of the motor: 500 SRMN is rated for up to 90hp (standard Explorer 500 is rated to 70hp) but I think what realy counts is the weight of the outboard and I believe this is within recommendations. SRMN is supposed to be built to military/navy standards with reinforced hull and heavier hypalon (1880 if I'm correct) so I hope with my civilian use it should last forever ;-)
I also noticed that all RIBs I've been looking at had the fin (either on or off the motor) and no one is able to realy justify its use - I think most folks just think it looks cool.
Old 26 September 2006, 22:26   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardP
Guys! I appreciate all the input but...23K is in canadian currency - this is harldy 11k in british - if you get me a 8 meter Scorpion for that money I'll pay the shipping gladly.
I'll check that prop issue - maybe it's from another motor? Thanks.
And when Pop has found a second Scorp 8m Diesel for GBP 11k can I put my name down for the next one please and thankyou.

Buying from the UK would involve shipping costs (GBP 2500 at least to West Coast Canada), any import duties and paying 14% HST (VAT equivalent) on top. So a GBP 11k RIB ($23k CAD) would be GBP 15k ( $31k CAD) by the time its landed, assuming zero import duty. Not impossible but a lot of hassle. Mind you for an 8.1 Scorp diesel it'd be worth it for the price.....