Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 08 March 2019, 02:46   #1
Member
 
HUMBER P4VWL's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,223
Simrad Go 7 xse - views?

Considering purchase, what else other than transducer is needed to go with new Merc 200hp
Charts?
Vessel view?
__________________

__________________
HUMBER P4VWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 March 2019, 03:50   #2
RIBnet supporter
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 8,734
RIBase
I’m out of the electronics loop, but compare the prices with the equivalent Lowrance unit. They are all the same inside, same features/software etc. Lowrance tend to be cheaper.
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 March 2019, 14:03   #3
Member
 
Lee argyle's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Porchfield
Boat name: Katie
Make: Stingher
Length: 10m +
Engine: Verado 350 x 2
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 517
I’m as we speak removing my old chart plotter (Garmin 5008) and mercury engine gauges and fitting two new Simrad 9’s side-by-side. I did a little research and speaking to the trade the Simrads always got recommended, supposedly a good match to mercury engines especially with the dedicated vessel view option (which we are also fitting ). We’ve networked the two screens so you can have a multiple choice of info, charts, sonar, ais, engines etc etc spread over both the displays - gone for navionics for the mapping
__________________
Fully fledged member of the ‘Boarding negligent and very irresponsible club’.
Lee argyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 March 2019, 14:13   #4
Member
 
HUMBER P4VWL's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee argyle View Post
I’m as we speak removing my old chart plotter (Garmin 5008) and mercury engine gauges and fitting two new Simrad 9’s side-by-side. I did a little research and speaking to the trade the Simrads always got recommended, supposedly a good match to mercury engines especially with the dedicated vessel view option (which we are also fitting ). We’ve networked the two screens so you can have a multiple choice of info, charts, sonar, ais, engines etc etc spread over both the displays - gone for navionics for the mapping


So what vessel view unit did you purchase and how much ££? I believe there is a single and twin engine option.

I'm led to believe the NMEA will provide most of the details in tile format, but is less than half the price. The VV has pretty digital gauges but is an extra £400 on top of the plotter!!
__________________
HUMBER P4VWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 March 2019, 15:18   #5
Member
 
Lee argyle's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Porchfield
Boat name: Katie
Make: Stingher
Length: 10m +
Engine: Verado 350 x 2
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
So what vessel view unit did you purchase and how much ££? I believe there is a single and twin engine option.

I'm led to believe the NMEA will provide most of the details in tile format, but is less than half the price. The VV has pretty digital gauges but is an extra £400 on top of the plotter!!
We’ve gone for the twin installation and the VV unit was £800 ish, I appreciate its a little more pennies than just using the plotters graphics/software but my limited understanding is there’s quite a lot more detailed info and options available with the mercury system inc trolling and cruise control
__________________
Fully fledged member of the ‘Boarding negligent and very irresponsible club’.
Lee argyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 March 2019, 08:09   #6
Member
 
HUMBER P4VWL's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,223
Cheers - OTT for us I think.
__________________
HUMBER P4VWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 March 2019, 10:09   #7
RIBnet supporter
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 8,734
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
Cheers - OTT for us I think.


Do you need the VV to interface the engine to the N2k network or can you just plug the engine straight in? If so, what does the VV add?
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 March 2019, 11:43   #8
Member
 
Lee argyle's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Porchfield
Boat name: Katie
Make: Stingher
Length: 10m +
Engine: Verado 350 x 2
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Do you need the VV to interface the engine to the N2k network or can you just plug the engine straight in? If so, what does the VV add?
I’ve been running engine data on my old Garmin via a generic gateway, this displayed all the engine info plus engine trim and trim tabs positions. I guess the VV is just mercs dedicated gateway to the displays, having had a play with VV at Southampton boat show and subsequently on a mates boat ealerier this year I was very impressed with the graphics, ease of use and how simple is was to split screens, displaying as little or as much engine data as required

https://youtu.be/dR6afVNk3Ns
__________________
Fully fledged member of the ‘Boarding negligent and very irresponsible club’.
Lee argyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 March 2019, 16:34   #9
Member
 
HUMBER P4VWL's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,223
On reflection - unless you've a 9" screen or ideally 12", and perhaps twin engines, splitting the screen for maps and VV data is pretty pointless. The two standard Merc gauges with led screens at the base can show most of what you need.
__________________
HUMBER P4VWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 March 2019, 17:58   #10
RIBnet supporter
 
jambo's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 6,044
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
On reflection - unless you've a 9" screen or ideally 12", and perhaps twin engines, splitting the screen for maps and VV data is pretty pointless. The two standard Merc gauges with led screens at the base can show most of what you need.


Paul since I changed to the 150 I have found the two Merc gauges more than adequate for my needs and give me all the information I need. Atb B
__________________
jambo
'Carpe Diem'
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:44.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.