Old 10 July 2014, 09:56   #1

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Simrad EVOII 9"

Guys, just thought I would provide some feedback on this plotter. I have been putting off going with a touchscreen as I have read a lot of conflicting reports. However with the New Osprey Demo boat we opted for the Simrad...

Having used it a bit I can't praise it enough, really nice and simple interface, very easy to use, the screen is superb and the touch function works well even if there is a bit of water about... The good thing is if water does become an issue, then you can lock out the touch screen and use the traditional buttons and rotating knob to operate the unit....

Liniked into the E-tec NMEA no problem and has a great screen for those of you who want to look at lots of lovely gauges.!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG0532.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	96644   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG0535.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	96645  

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2014, 12:02   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Guys, just thought I would provide some feedback on this plotter. I have been putting off going with a touchscreen as I have read a lot of conflicting reports. However with the New Osprey Demo boat we opted for the Simrad...

Having used it a bit I can't praise it enough, really nice and simple interface, very easy to use, the screen is superb and the touch function works well even if there is a bit of water about... The good thing is if water does become an issue, then you can lock out the touch screen and use the traditional buttons and rotating knob to operate the unit....

Liniked into the E-tec NMEA no problem and has a great screen for those of you who want to look at lots of lovely gauges.!!
I'd looked at the Simrad range for my next boat, good to have some first hand experience. I was worried about the touch screen side, I'm still not convinced that touch screen is a good idea on an open boat. What charts does it take, Navionics?
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2014, 12:04   #3

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I'd looked at the Simrad range for my next boat, good to have some first hand experience. I was worried about the touch screen side, I'm still not convinced that touch screen is a good idea on an open boat. What charts does it take, Navionics?
Hi Dave, yes we went for the full 3D option, it has the built in CHIRP sounder option as well although we are just using an Airmar through hull at the moment. Was still able to see the fishing line on the sounder screen though !

I am also not a great fan of touch screen on an open boat, but with this you get the best of both worlds.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 October 2016, 07:13   #4

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Engine: outboard
Navico

I went with lowrance (same company as simrad) just because they have more down resolution which benefits me more fishing and diving.

Have to agree the touch is no problem in open centre console boats and theres always the option to simply turn off touch and use buttons only if it starts to rain hard.

After seeing Dr Sonar compare chirp with non chirp I decided to stick with lowrances 200\50htz. After seeing the improvements in side-scan from my old hds unit I also decided to stick with the lss2 transducer over 3d but Im still considering the 3d.

Heres a couple of screenshots (all in metric) as you can see sidescan does an ok job at 30kh but really improves at lower speed. Most of the widths are 50-60m each side, which is like scanning a football pitch.

Jon

30kh and still showing both sides

found a new dive site or two

driving through krill with whales to the left

adding sidescan to the chart page