Old 27 July 2003, 02:18   #11
Town: Highlands
Boat name: Quicksilver
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 15hp

Swiftech were the importers for the radios which were made in the far east. When Swiftech went bust Silva took over as the impoters for the same radios. They are now sold as the 'StarM 298' under the Silva brand name. This of course means that they are no obsolete and can be repaired etc.

So mine is now up at the Silva repair centre being fixed. Cost 49.95 inc vat (why the heck don't they just call it 50.00?) plus 6.00 shipping. So 56.00 in total. Cheaper than a NEW radio anyway (see next paragraph). For having the radio checked over and not having it repaired costs 17.63.

Well, there I am looking through the new 'Compass' catalogue and what do I see on page 93? My Swiftech radio looking out at me wirh a Silva badge. However they are just 99.95 (there they go again - do they think we're daft?) now. I paid over 200.00 when I brought it from Inverness Boat Yard in North Kessock. Anyway it is still a saving as I'd have had to pay the 17.63 in any case.

Here is the address for Silva Service Centre:

Unit 24, Six Harmony Row
G51 3BA
Tel: 0141 445 5585

Keith (over and out) Hart

Small boat - BIG truck
Keith Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2003, 07:54   #12
Town: Upavon, Wiltshire
Boat name: Dromedary
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.55
Engine: Honda 130
Tut Tut Mr Hart "over and out" you should know that this ia a no no as it is illogical.

Scubakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2003, 09:23   #13
Boat name: Yes
Make: Assorted
Length: <
Engine: 8m
Keith, my colleague returned from leave today, and I now have his old set. From the above do I presume you no longer need it ?

Phill is offline   Reply With Quote