Old 07 April 2009, 11:40   #31
Town: Walmer
Make: Fletcher
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60hp Mercury ob
The New Atlantic 85 inshore lifeboat has RDF as well, it really does make a hell of a difference if your trying to find someone not only in fog but also if surrounded by other traffic!

Originally Posted by chewy View Post
All weather lifeboats can also use RDF if you have a VHF fitted to pin point your postion in fog.

alphaechcharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 April 2009, 12:42   #32
Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Originally Posted by alphaechcharlie View Post
The New Atlantic 85 inshore lifeboat has RDF as well, it really does make a hell of a difference if your trying to find someone not only in fog but also if surrounded by other traffic!
as long as there is no headland or reef in the way , lol

m chappelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 April 2009, 14:45   #33
Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Teesmouth managed to RDF a certain paraffin budgie hiding in the fog above Kettleness when they said it was too bad for an exercise in Runswick Bay. The chopper reckoned they couldn't find the bay despite staring into it. Cracking boat and crew Teesmouth!
chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 April 2009, 15:14   #34
Make: XS // Delta
Length: 6m +
Engine: 60hp // 2x90hp
We always have a VHF in the RIB when it's out, and it's usually used fairly often.

I keep it monitoring Ch16, Ch18 (Barrage Ctrl), P1 (Private Harbour Authority Channel), P4 (Usually used as the Centres Operating Channel) and if leaving Cardiff Bay - Ch69 (Severn VTS).

Obviously depending on what the boats being used for (from powerboat courses and safety cover to running exclusion zones for events etc) depends on what the primary channel we use is and how often it's used.

Although I always insist that whoever is using the boat, they always have a VHF onboard.
TonyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2009, 10:07   #35
Town: Seil Island
Boat name: Ron Mor
Make: Delta
Length: 5m +
MMSI: 235116643

I bought a RIB last May which had a VHF fitted, first RIB I've owned to have one. Was cruising on Loch Fyne between Tarbert and Portavadie on the Clyde, when the channel 16 picked up a mayday. Two small boys had drifted offshore on a large plastic tub, used for transporting salmon from fishfarms they had found washed up on the beach. I was the only fast boat in the area and the wind was wrong for the yachts so I responded to the coastguard. Guided by the Portavadie ferry (using the vhf) I searched for about 4 miles up the loch in and out of small bays and finally found the boys, aged 9 and 11 about half a mile from shore drifted west into the pretty rough open waters of Loch Fyne. I came alongside them and lifted them into the boat, didn't even get their feet wet and zoomed back to Portavadie where their frantic parents (who had raised the mayday) eventually met us. Turns out the lifeboat would have taken 45 minutes to get there from Tignabruich on the Kyles of Bute and the helicopter 30 minutes and would have definately knocked them into the water from the downdraft (they didn't even have coats on never mind lifejackets).

That day could have turned out so terribly different if I didn't have a vhf on 16. Get one fitted and keep it on and hope that everyone else around you does the same. It could be your turn one day!
Stevie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2009, 11:07   #36
Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Good job, Stevie!

jyasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2009, 20:31   #37
Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
I have two Standard Horizon VHFs installed, with separate antennas of course. One stays on 16 all the time. The other is used for chatting with friends. We have no cell coverage here beyond a mile out or so, and the boat (and radio) traffic is so light, there's lots of channels to share.

As well, I have a S-H hand-held for shore excursions.

I can't imagine leaving shore with one.. or two... or three.

Pump it up and RIDE!
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote