Town: West Wickham
Boat name: Aries IV
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Etec 250
MMSI: 235036477
Radar on RIBs

Wow - What a tremendous response!

Thank you all for taking the trouble to reply to my questions - much appreciated and most helpful !

John - Oops! Sorry about the "Ribtec" ... But a dummy box indeed !!!

I shall give serious thought to Stuart (Powerboat)'s concept of attaching the radome to a console frame - what a good idea!

I was inspired by reading about the recent day trip to Cherbourg and thought that the main Channel Islands would be great venues for similar day or weekend trips - when I eventually get my RIB. I've still got to sell "Aries II" and modify my house to accommodate it but I am aware of the speed at which fog can descend in the Channel Islands and the frequency with which it appears, hence my concerns about radar.

Thanks again for your input and thank you John for a great site!

Chris Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 June 2003, 02:27   #12
Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Re: Radar on RIBs

Originally posted by Chris Murray
a dummy box indeed !!!
Well it means you don't have to worry about being zapped

I suppose I ought to explain why Phoenix was pretending to be fitted with radar . . .

In a previous incarnation, the boat was used by Alan Priddy for his trans-Atlantic voyage in 1997. Raytheon had supplied a radar, but the A-frame was way too low to be a useful mounting point and Alan didn't want to add a hulking great chunk of extra metal onto the back of the boat.

Given that he only planned to use the radar at low speed in fog, it was decided to make a mast that could be fitted over the console as required, and stowed away when not required. To be fair to Raytheon and give them some visibility, an empty radome was fitted to the A-frame. This also explains why it is mounted ridiculously low!

John Kennett is offline   Reply With Quote