Old 26 August 2018, 21:49   #1

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: honda 150
RIBase
nmea 2000 fuel metering

we are in the process of refitting our boat I have ordered a simrad go9 to and the is42 gauge to go with it I can remember on my last go7 there was a page that came up with fuel used. but I never bothered with it as the boat had the smartcraft gauge so I was monitoring fuel usage through that the dilemma I have is that when we are on holiday the boat sits on a swing mooring and either way I have to handball fuel out to it with a tender so my choices are the removable fuel tanks ie hulk or a larger tank that I can get to fit in the console so can anybody tell me if the simrad paired with the is42 gauge be used to countdown the level of a tank I should also mention the engine is a Honda 150 that is getting linked into the nmea system
Old 27 August 2018, 07:37   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezeblock View Post
we are in the process of refitting our boat I have ordered a simrad go9 to and the is42 gauge to go with it I can remember on my last go7 there was a page that came up with fuel used. but I never bothered with it as the boat had the smartcraft gauge so I was monitoring fuel usage through that the dilemma I have is that when we are on holiday the boat sits on a swing mooring and either way I have to handball fuel out to it with a tender so my choices are the removable fuel tanks ie hulk or a larger tank that I can get to fit in the console so can anybody tell me if the simrad paired with the is42 gauge be used to countdown the level of a tank I should also mention the engine is a Honda 150 that is getting linked into the nmea system

I haven't setup a Honda, but I've done Etecs & a Suzuki, they are basically the same. So assuming that the Honda can be selected as the "fuel remaining source" in the fuel setup on the Simrad, then it "should" work. What year is the engine & is it fully NMEA 2000 certified?
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2018, 21:24   #3

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I haven't setup a Honda, but I've done Etecs & a Suzuki, they are basically the same. So assuming that the Honda can be selected as the "fuel remaining source" in the fuel setup on the Simrad, then it "should" work. What year is the engine & is it fully NMEA 2000 certified?
the engine is a 2018 and it does display fuel consumption on the go9 but I still can't get it to display fuel remaining I had a look a bit further into stand it seems I need a fuel data manager which is basically a small storage device that builds up the data for use later on am I on the right track or am I a mile off answers on a postcard
Old 01 October 2018, 05:53   #4

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezeblock View Post
the engine is a 2018 and it does display fuel consumption on the go9 but I still can't get it to display fuel remaining I had a look a bit further into stand it seems I need a fuel data manager which is basically a small storage device that builds up the data for use later on am I on the right track or am I a mile off answers on a postcard

Yup, sounds like you need an EP 85 module ( Sod’s law, I’ve recently sold one that’s been kicking around in the shed for years) some of the recent engines now have them built into the gauges, but others need it adding on.

http://www.lowrance.eu/products/sens...torage-device/
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 01 October 2018, 07:31   #5

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Yup, sounds like you need an EP 85 module ( Sod’s law, I’ve recently sold one that’s been kicking around in the shed for years) some of the recent engines now have them built into the gauges, but others need it adding on.

Lowrance
ordered it today cheers
Old 15 October 2018, 08:25   #6

Town: Aberdeen
Boat name: Moby 2
Make: Northcraft
Engine: honda BF100
MMSI: 232015658
I bought Dave’s one and it worked perfectly on a 2018 Honda 100hp. I did have to up date the firmware on the 85r to the latest revision. If your buying new it should be good to go.
Old 15 October 2018, 08:44   #7

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by hesko View Post
I bought Dave’s one and it worked perfectly on a 2018 Honda 100hp. I did have to up date the firmware on the 85r to the latest revision. If your buying new it should be good to go.

Good to know it worked for you[emoji106]
Old 21 September 2019, 22:08   #8

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
Having just upgraded my RC 5.3 engine to a 2015 honda bf100 ,i too am looking for fuel burn via a nmea2000 system ,aiming to get similar results to the speed and fuel gauge on my yam 115 on the nautica . So far i understand i need a honda cable to bring data from engine to console ,in addition i am planning to buy a garmin starter kit ,which hopefully will link engine data via a drop cable to my garmin gpsmap750 which has a nmea 5 pin on the back ,
As above i thought i would be complete ,but now reading above posts i am curios about the fuel sensor mentioned ,was i being nieve thinking the engine was providing fuel burn data and this is combied with gps distance covered to give me fuel used data ??? ,have i overlooked a whole bunch of sensors here ?
Old 21 September 2019, 22:20   #9

I have a Honda bf100 (2018) it provides fuel burn info and is very accurate. It is displayed on a lowrance HDS7. Neither the engine or the lowrance unit have the ability to store fuel data. There for I required the EP85 to store the fuel used, fuel remaining, trip and season usage data.

If your Garmin unit can display and store the info from the engine you should be good. I presume the 2015 engine will send the same info as the 2018.
Old 21 September 2019, 22:57   #10

Engine: Yamaha
I use lowrance HDS3 with Yamaha Command Link for all my engine / fuel data but I too have been missing the old pre Command Link Yamaha Fuel Management system that I used to use which would display total fuel burnt - would the EP85 be useable with my system?
Old 21 September 2019, 23:32   #11

I presume so. It’s just a memory that links into the NMEA2000 set up. So your HDS3 would be seeing the engine and the EP85 and taking info from both.
Old 22 September 2019, 09:02   #12

Quote:
I have a Honda bf100 (2018) it provides fuel burn info and is very accurate. It is displayed on a lowrance HDS7. Neither the engine or the lowrance unit have the ability to store fuel data. There for I required the EP85 to store the fuel used, fuel remaining, trip and season usage data.

If your Garmin unit can display and store the info from the engine you should be good. I presume the 2015 engine will send the same info as the 2018.
Thank H ,looks like i just need to check out garmin tech on monday ,see what you mean about the need for a time relationship with fuel burn to do the maths ,i suspect thats the function of the ep85 ,
will i also get more details about engine temps and oil pressure and battery voltage ?,as phantom says this is all so good on yam ,but on Honda just seems to be a light ,you know nothing about until it comes on !
Old 22 September 2019, 12:05   #13

RIBase
from what I have experienced the the honda isn't as good as the mercury mariner set up it doesn't seem to carry as much info
Old 22 September 2019, 15:28   #14

When I read into it I think Suzuki gave the most info. My display from Honda on HDS7 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5816.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	130935
Old 22 September 2019, 16:56   #15

Quote:
When I read into it I think Suzuki gave the most info. My display from Honda on HDS7 Attachment 130935
Thanks for that ,is all showing standard without any additional engine senors ? ,i am guessing those are in a non running state ?,i am very impressed and quite excited to see that ,thanks again ! i see you must have a tank sensor as extra ?
Old 22 September 2019, 16:59   #16

Yes all coming from engine with no additional sensors
Old 15 October 2019, 22:25   #17

Quote:
Yes all coming from engine with no additional sensors
amazing set of results ,just bought a £43 genuine honda lead and a garmin starter kit £75 and got all the parmeters i need inc fuel use (which is what i wanted ) hav,nt quite sussed speedo and distance travelled but think these are gps functions i need to merge maybe