Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 04 August 2013, 15:35   #31
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,251
Ofcom can. Bear in mind it doesn't need you to making a prat but someone else who uses your marina / slipway / general sea area at the same times you do and you could get someone down asking for licences etc.

I suspect they'll offer you words of advice first.

But as lightening says there is an underlying 'fear' of using it when you aren't supposed to. Loose an engine, do you try and sort yourself, attract a passing boats attention without coming to the attention of the CG because you don't really want their men in blue jump suits asking you lots of questions about training and such when you get ashore. Only to have actually let a minor situation get worse...
__________________

__________________
ShinyShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 August 2013, 16:08   #32
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8,020
You don't have to have a VHF licence to use a VHF radio if it is an emergency, you can also use a VHF radio without a licence as long as you have someone with a VHF licence supervising you.

No one in there right mind would ever stop you taking a VHF in case of an emergency even if you didn't have a licence.

The VHF course is mainly to provide training on the use, law and dsc and the licence stops any tom, dick or harry buying a VHF and chatting to their mates causing all sorts of problems over the airwaves.

The VHF course and licence is not a given that you will get it all right all of the time, just listen on a few channels next time you are around the solent or any other busy area.
__________________

__________________
whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 August 2013, 16:57   #33
RIBnet supporter
 
Chris Caton's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossymtb View Post
I have and use this one:

Midland Atlantic XT BLK VHF Handheld Marine LCD Radio Kit for Boat Vessel Yacht | eBay

( In white because it looks cool )

Great for chatting to mates and doing radio checks.

I would like to do the vhf course but cant seem to find the time/location at a sensible price,

Talked to plenty of people/watched plenty of videos/read plenty of forums to know how to make a mayday call/ pan pan in a needing situation when out of range or signal for a mobile.

I DO intend on taking the course when its viable but for now atleast i have it incase of emergency and i dont hang around on ch16 causing a nuisance,

Also great for listening to weather reports.
see you have your location as Nth Wales, have you tried Plas Menai, they run radio courses and PB2 etc
__________________
Chris Caton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 August 2013, 17:14   #34
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: North wales
Make: Europa Sport
Length: 3m +
Engine: Johnson 25
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 235
Hi yeah had a look on there site very expensive at the minute. Hoping they have some deals on winter time for vhf.
__________________
rossymtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 August 2013, 17:43   #35
RIBnet supporter
 
Chris Caton's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossymtb View Post
Hi yeah had a look on there site very expensive at the minute. Hoping they have some deals on winter time for vhf.
Safe Water Training, 110 + RYA exam fee VHF/SRC Radio - Short Range Certificate Course | Safe water Training

Hoylake Sailing School, 145 RYA VHF SRC Combined

Professional Powerboat Training in Pwllheli, 95 + 30 RYA fee
Jon_G on Ribnet RIBnet Forums - View Profile: Jon G
VHF Radio SRC Course | NAVSAR Ltd. – Navigational Services And Resources

Plas Menai, 95 + 30 RYA fee Booking Plas Menai

doesn't seem any more expensive than other local centres offering the course, unless you can find someone doing a good deal, see them come up on ebay etc but what you save on the fee you may well be paying in fuel.
__________________
Chris Caton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 August 2013, 17:56   #36
Member
 
Country: UK - N Ireland
Length: under 3m
Engine: 10HP Merc
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
Ofcom can. Bear in mind it doesn't need you to making a prat but someone else who uses your marina / slipway / general sea area at the same times you do and you could get someone down asking for licences etc.
Ok they can, but do they? Like I say perhaps it's my location, but im not aware of anyone ever being at the local marina, which is pretty big (bangor) looking for VHF certificates....



Im actually wondeirng now if I shouldn't be using a radio when im out now, as I only hold a R - CSOC Certificate (Restricted Coast Station Operator Certificate)


Meh, I won't be doing a course anytime soon unles I need to for a job.
__________________
miccheck1516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 August 2013, 18:02   #37
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by miccheck1516 View Post
Ok they can, but do they? Like I say perhaps it's my location, but im not aware of anyone ever being at the local marina, which is pretty big (bangor) looking for VHF certificates....



Im actually wondeirng now if I shouldn't be using a radio when im out now, as I only hold a R - CSOC Certificate (Restricted Coast Station Operator Certificate)


Meh, I won't be doing a course anytime soon unles I need to for a job.
I guess you've got some idea of the procedure then....


It's advisable though for a newbie to have enough knowledge not to pick up the handheld and repeatedly scream 'I'm sinking' til they submerge without releasing the PTT button.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 August 2013, 18:04   #38
SPR
Trade member
 
SPR's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Central Belt of Scotland
Boat name: Puddleduck III
Make: Bombard
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50 HP
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Caton View Post

Safe Water Training, 110 + RYA exam fee VHF/SRC Radio - Short Range Certificate Course | Safe water Training

Hoylake Sailing School, 145 RYA VHF SRC Combined

Professional Powerboat Training in Pwllheli, 95 + 30 RYA fee
Jon_G on Ribnet RIBnet Forums - View Profile: Jon G
VHF Radio SRC Course | NAVSAR Ltd. – Navigational Services And Resources

Plas Menai, 95 + 30 RYA fee Booking Plas Menai

doesn't seem any more expensive than other local centres offering the course, unless you can find someone doing a good deal, see them come up on ebay etc but what you save on the fee you may well be paying in fuel.
Eeek - I need to increase my prices ! I am only 70 + 30 rya fee and includes lunch and refreshments !

I will sort it when the course becomes 2 days in Jan. 2014

S.
__________________
SPRmarine / SPRtraining
RYA Training Courses & Safety Equipment Sales
SPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 August 2013, 18:26   #39
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,251
2 days! Jesus!

Press the button. Speak this message, release button, wait for reply.

Or Press red button blah blah...

What they gonna cover extra...?

But seriously if its going to 2 days people should get in now as prices will probably double! Unless there is somethign really exciting in the extra part of the course that people might miss out on...
__________________
ShinyShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 August 2013, 00:27   #40
RIBnet supporter
 
Chris Caton's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPR View Post
Eeek - I need to increase my prices ! I am only 70 + 30 rya fee and includes lunch and refreshments !

I will sort it when the course becomes 2 days in Jan. 2014

S.
hmmmmmmm .................... but it could just be at that at 70 you are busy and at 95 to 100 they aren't, I know which I'd rather be!

2 days, that's just taking the pi.. !! it seems obvious there are plenty out there with VHF now that won't pay for the course / cert, at 2 days I can't see that getting better anyday soon, and as already mentioned it's a while since I was last asked to show any paperwork, like never!

I'll be knocking on your door for a refresher if I need it
__________________
Chris Caton is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:18.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.