Town: Goudswaard
Boat name: mr D
Make: Deltapower
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha f300 BETU
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Optima bluetops + Ctek 7000 left on all winter. Never had a problem, the batteries have always lasted as long as I've owned the boats. The previous boat had the original batteries in it after 6 years. Fit & forget.
hear hear! they are an investment but DO work!

Old 17 June 2011, 04:27   #22

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 10hp Yam / 150hp opt
RIBase
I think the OP must have some sort of underlying problem or small current drain that's causing him problems.

I'm not sure a traction (deep cycle?) bettery is what he really needs.

FWIW the main battery in my RIB was fitted by the previous owner in 2004 when the Optimax was fitted. The boat gets used through the summer periodically and left for a week to 3 weeks without use. During the winter the boat can be left for 2 months or more without going near it. I've never needed to charge the battery except for one time. This was when I left the battery isolator on one October and by Christmas the fancy AGM spiral wound second battery i'd fitted was totally discharged and could not be brought back to life. The bilge level sensor had discharged it.

So, the OP shouldn't balme his batteries or lack of regular charging but maybe investigate the possibility of another underlying problem.

Is there an isolator switch fitted? And if so is this switched off when leaving the boat?

Old 17 June 2011, 04:31   #23
RIBnet supporter

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've not yet had any battery problems in either of my ribs. The first boat was sold after 4 years and my current is now in it's third season.

I let the engine look after it during the summer and in the winter just leave it on the boat. Admittedly it never really gets cold here and freezes otherwise I'd bring it indoors. The only time I ever charge it is if I've been tinkering when layed up and have been using the radio or other electronics for an extended period. Both batteries were basic marine squadron sealed types. As long as it is stored in a fairly charged state and properly disconnected from any unecessary loads then it ought to be fine. Not really much different from a car except for less regular use.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2011, 04:43   #24

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: 2XS
Make: Halmatic Pacific 24
Length: 7m +
Engine: 135hp Honda X2
Hi
If i have to replace any batteries for customers i use Numax CXV series and have had very good service from them, one customer is dry stored with no shore power and left for 5 month, still had enough power in the battery to start the engines.

Aquafax Marine & Industrial Equipment

www.austinmarine.co.uk
Ian Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2011, 07:37   #25

Town: glasgow
Boat name: arriba
Make: marlin
Length: 7m +
Engine: suzuki 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Optima bluetops + Ctek 7000 left on all winter. Never had a problem, the batteries have always lasted as long as I've owned the boats. The previous boat had the original batteries in it after 6 years. Fit & forget.
had mine (2of) on previous rib about 1998 doing about 200hrs /yr still going ok on this rib
Old 19 June 2011, 12:09   #26
SPR
Trade member

Town: Central Belt of Scotland
Boat name: Puddleduck III
Make: Bombard
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searider View Post
I think the OP must have some sort of underlying problem or small current drain that's causing him problems....

Is there an isolator switch fitted? And if so is this switched off when leaving the boat?
Battery removed from boat and stored inside, behaves it self during the season...

S.
Old 19 June 2011, 12:12   #27
SPR
Trade member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Austin View Post
Hi
If i have to replace any batteries for customers i use Numax CXV series and have had very good service from them, one customer is dry stored with no shore power and left for 5 month, still had enough power in the battery to start the engines.

Aquafax Marine & Industrial Equipment

Its the numax i am buying with a ctech charger for winter...hopefully it will survive next winter!
Old 19 June 2011, 18:26   #28

Length: 4m +
Hi Aldi and lidl ocassionaly have cheap effective intelegent chargers that work well.
One thing to watch out for is discharged battery freezing.
"a severely discharged battery can freeze at -1C."
Nigel.
Old 19 June 2011, 18:29   #29
SPR
Trade member

-27C last winter might have wiped it out! will keep eye on for cheap one...as its a winter purchase!

S.
Old 20 June 2011, 04:45   #30

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
I just used normal car batteries in my old boat because that's all you can buy around here
I had to perform an emergency replacement on tthe super deep cycle highcapacity etc etc battery midway through an event back when the Yam was still buring premix. Couldn't find a direct replacement that afternoon, so bought the smallest, cheapest battery I could find at the local tyre & battrery place on the assumption it was a "get out of jail" purchase, and I'd replace it later. Cost me 35, no name on it.

Here we are 4 years later, 2 of which it sat doing nothing as I rebuilt the Merc, and it's still going strong......

Granted my engine is "standalone" once running, and if need be I can pull a bit of string to bring it to life, but I'm with BM on this one! :Thumbs: