Old 14 October 2011, 08:41   #41

Town: Buckingham
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 75
I'm not sure that it is waterproof or that I want any possibility of 240v around me in a RIB ! Even then it says a 36 hour charge from mains - so overnight will not be enough.

Since you have a pull start outboard - do you actually need a battery (navigation lights can usually be run from the lighting circuit output on the outboard) ?
Old 14 October 2011, 17:08   #42
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishLes View Post
I'd like opinions on using one of these instead of a normal battery on a small (3.1m) rib with a pull cord starter.

Maplin have one for £55 with a 17ah battery, torch, 200w mains inverter, 12v sockets and air compressor.
HeavyDuty 5in1 Jump Starter Free Delivery : InCar Battery Chargers and Compressors : Maplin

By my reckoning it would be capable of running over 10 hours with plenty still left and could then be charged overnight ready for the next day.

If it lasted that long it might also be useful in an emergency when I upgrade to a bigger rib with electric start.

Thanks
I've run my 20HP Yam off a "jump start pack" for the last 5 yrs. It was only supposed to be a bodge whilst I set everything up (and the jump pack wasn't new then). its worked well so I never got round to putting in a proper unit. I don't have a compressor on mine (I don't have blow up tubes so no use for one on the boat). I also don't have a mains invertor on mine and not sure I'd want one even although mine lives inside a locker. It charges direct from the engine and has been faultless until about 2 weeks ago. I'm not sure if someone had been "playing" with my boat at the boat yard and turned something on - but it was completely dead when I went to take it out. It did recharge eventually but probably served its useful life now.
Old 14 October 2011, 19:11   #43

Town: South Yorkshire
Boat name: Sold it !
Length: 3m +
Engine: Totallyhotsue 9.8 2S
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishLes View Post
I'd like opinions on using one of these instead of a normal battery on a small (3.1m) rib with a pull cord starter.

Maplin have one for £55 with a 17ah battery, torch, 200w mains inverter, 12v sockets and air compressor.
HeavyDuty 5in1 Jump Starter Free Delivery : InCar Battery Chargers and Compressors : Maplin

By my reckoning it would be capable of running over 10 hours with plenty still left and could then be charged overnight ready for the next day.

If it lasted that long it might also be useful in an emergency when I upgrade to a bigger rib with electric start.

Thanks
Its a 17ah battery don;t discharge it to less than 50% regularly as you will seriously shorten its life.

Does you 15hp have an alternator at 12V? If so This will charge at 12V...