Old 29 April 2004, 16:19   #1

Town: Shropshire
Boat name: She's Gorn!
Make: No boat
Length: no boat
Engine: Nada
Lowrance downloads

After reading one of the previous posts about Garmin tidal info, I though I'd let you know about Lowrance. I'm sure you lot already knew this but it's taken me 18 months to find out that I could download some really useful stuff from them.
I have a Globalmap 3000MT which is now no longer sold, however, they are still putting updated software on their website which can be downloaded for free. The latest version available now enables you to see tidal flow and height infomation at most ports. This was obviously always there on the MMC card but is now viewable.
The other little beauty is an emulator which enables you to use the charts (via a card reader) on the pc. The screen shows an exact copy of the unit and you press the 'buttons' with the mouse. I can now plan routes and copy them to the GPS in the comfort of my house rather on the boat, in the garage. The other use of these emulators (for GPS's and all other kit) is as a 'try before you buy' tool. If my one is typical, they are exactly the same as the real thing. Also available for free.
Any of you Lowrance users out there who are as slow as me and did not realise this was available, or want to try some Lowrance kit, I can recommend it.
Old 29 April 2004, 17:11   #2

Town: Carigaline/Baltimore
Boat name: XS-600
Make: XS-Ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc Optimax 150 XL
I tried this before I bought my LMS-320 and I can only agree. The battery on my last boat was quite poor and so being able to plan routes on my pc instead of running down my battery outside in the rain (I hate Irish weather!!)
saves me those embarassing moments at the slipway floating away in the strong current. You won't get very far with paddles especially when there's only one onboard!!

Great software!! Identical to my plotter/ sounder in every way, right down to the contrast illumination settings.
Old 29 April 2004, 19:19   #3

Town: Stockholm
Boat name: Osprey & Ring
Make: Osprey & Ring
Length: 9m +
Engine: Plenty
I`ve been using different brands of GPS but 2 years ago i got my first Lowrance and i will never change, we have plenty of islands in the Stockholm archipelago and it`s so great to plan the routs in the PC the day before.
I bought the Global Map 7000C last week and i can definetly recomend it, a lot of new usefull things in it, great display, it`s not far after when you cruising in 55 knots (joke about cruising)
Old 14 June 2004, 21:03   #4

Town: Breda
Make: Scorpion
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude 250 DI
Petrov,
do you plan your routes in the pc with the Lowrance Emulator and transport them to the 7000c with the MMC card? I've purchased a 7000c a week ago, but find it difficult to use the cursor in the Emulator (I use the LCX-104c Emulator). I'm looking for software to plan routes in a pc and use the cursor to move around. Found ExpertGPS but it's not working that good. Do you have any suggestions?
MarkM
Old 15 June 2004, 07:18   #5

Town: Stockholm
Boat name: Osprey & Ring
Make: Osprey & Ring
Length: 9m +
Engine: Plenty
Hi Mark;

I recieved my 7000C not long ago so i have`nt tried it on this unit but the models i had before was very easy and i did`nt have any problem.
I will try it on my new and keep you informed.
Old 30 June 2004, 13:41   #6

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
any update

on PC planning
Old 23 July 2004, 22:23   #7

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
hi petrov,
those it work ok on pc planning and then uploading to plotter via the card. Have tried the demo download and found it difficult to use on PC

I use maptech maps on PC and wonder if it can be outputted to the card to the plotter. Very easy to use on PC

Paul