Old 22 February 2012, 13:37   #21

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by gohelm View Post
I Tried imray as well but found it much more complicated. A plotter like a garmin 620 or 7something works simply better because the are designed for the circumstances and an iphone or ipad for that reason never will be an as good substitute.
Absolutely true, but likewise I think we are talking backup systems here - I have a Garmin GPS12 which due to it's miniscule memory I have to make sure the correct one of the waypoint files I have spent ages perfecting is "onboard" it before I leave the house. It is by no means the perfect Nav aid, but should the plotter or battery die, it's a lot better than a guess in the fog!

Having said that, the '12 was my main nav aid 'til lI got the plotter, and many sibbers use handhelds 'coz there's nowhere to park a plotter. Once again horses for courses.....
Old 22 February 2012, 21:21   #22

Town: Goudswaard
Boat name: mr D
Make: Deltapower
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha f300 BETU
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280
Having said that, the '12 was my main nav aid 'til lI got the plotter, and many sibbers use handhelds 'coz there's nowhere to park a plotter. Once again horses for courses.....
For nav 'aid' indeed iphone works fine and indeed seems to be a 'horses for courses case'.
Come to think of it, I prefer for practical reasons my garmin handheld (same vintage as your '12) over the ipad type of nav aids since it is much more rugged and you can operate it in winter conditions and/or with your toes and/ or nose, if needed ( and it plots much faster and accurately on a racing course ), which is another point for dedicated equipment of 80 gbp (garmin gps 72?) over 500 gbp 'multitaskers' like an Iphone! (which not even float). Again I hear you..what functions you seek/need, how often you use it, etcetera.
It's more fact than feeling that i would rely on a plotter or a good'ole garmin 12, whereas I would never do so on an iphone plotter...
Old 24 May 2012, 11:58   #23

Length: 4m +
Boat Beacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMac View Post
does anybody use thier iphone for AIS?
Yes, I use Boat Beacon - its a sea-faring version of ShipFinder with collision detection, compass mode and an AIS transmit mode too.
Old 24 May 2012, 12:12   #24

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarita View Post
Yes, I use Boat Beacon - its a sea-faring version of ShipFinder with collision detection, compass mode and an AIS transmit mode too.
Actually it can't have an AIS transmit mode - all it can do is put the information on the internet - only of any use if someone is looking at a web based system which is nobody afloat that you would like to be seen by!

A VHF based system is the only system of any use if you want to be seen! This sort of thing is only of any use if:
  1. You want to see other shipping
  2. You only want to see what is available on the internet
  3. you never go out of 3G coverage
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2012, 12:17   #25
RIBnet Supporter

What Cookee said. Also, there is quite a time lag on the web AIS sites - so the speed of the tracked objects is very important. Helos can be 20+ miles away from their logged position. I wouldn't want to be using it in anger - good fun at home though
Old 24 May 2012, 12:23   #26

Wow - that has kicked up a storm rising to it's defense - It has real time data - no lag - it uses raw live data feeds (not internet web sites) - and ship positions are interpolated between updates. It does require internet coverage - but the data rates are so low that 2G is good enough and over 95% of the UK coast has 2G coverage out to 12 miles. The AIS position sharing does only work via the internet - but it allows me to share my position with other folks who have the app - and my wife can keep an eye on me too from home! For the price its worth giving it a try. There is an interesting debate about it here too http://panbo.com
Old 24 May 2012, 12:29   #27

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Wow - that has kicked up a storm rising to it's defense - It has real time data - no lag - it uses raw live data feeds (not internet web sites) - and ship positions are interpolated between updates. It does require internet coverage - but the data rates are so low that 2G is good enough and over 95% of the UK coast has 2G coverage out to 12 miles. The AIS position sharing does only work via the internet - but it allows me to share my position with other folks who have the app - and my wife can keep an eye on me too from home! For the price its worth giving it a try. There is an interesting debate about it here too http://panbo.com
Looked at their chart showing users and it has three in my area and all of the are ashore, in fact most users seem to be ashore, does this mean it's a toy for most users? Personally I would rely on one afloat - an AIS receiver is not that much money and would be more reliable and show up on your plotter.
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2012, 13:02   #28
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Wow - that has kicked up a storm
Lol - when you've been on here a few months, you'll know this isn't a storm. I'd make it more a F4, gusting F5