Old 22 March 2012, 11:28   #21

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by clydeoutboards View Post
Well I just went to renew mine and found that personal items do not include, camera's phones, laptops, Tablet PC,'s any form of music player, wallets i.e only clothes.

mmmm not happy
Better you know now ! I'd expect your houshold policy refers to these as something like ' high risk' items or 'contents away from home'. So if not covered on the boat policy then check to see if they are included in the home contents - or can be at least added . Usually anything over £1000 (ish) in this category needs to be specified - so fancy gizmos, watches & diamonds etc .

As Leapy said - its can be a few minutes now ...but can save hours/days and weeks if anything does happen ! Much less hassle to back up some pics & hang on to paperwork ( I keep everthing I spend on the boats - it will pay for itself if I come to sell or need to make a claim )
Old 23 March 2012, 09:18   #22

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Can't remember who I was with but they did state you needed a lock fitted to the engine and receipt as proof of purchase.
About to take out another small boat policy so will be interested to see what the small print says...
Old 23 March 2012, 10:01   #23

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Like when I was setting up my house insurance on my first place - I was told by the broker I'd be better not having an alarm - apparently if you are out the back cutting the grass and you don't set the alarm if Mr Robber nicks your telly whilst you can't hear him breaking in over the noise of the mower you won't be insured as the alarm wasn't set.....

I paid the extra fiver.
Old 23 March 2012, 10:17   #24

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
Like when I was setting up my house insurance on my first place - I was told by the broker I'd be better not having an alarm - apparently if you are out the back cutting the grass and you don't set the alarm if Mr Robber nicks your telly whilst you can't hear him breaking in over the noise of the mower you won't be insured as the alarm wasn't set.....

I paid the extra fiver.
You wont beleive the problem exactly this has caused big big commercial clients - and thievws know this ..so you can tell what they do - trigger alarm so often it needs an engineer to attend to reset it - which take a few hours - during which time the alarm is not set , stuff gets nicked and then is not covered. !