Boat name: Charlie Brown
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 275 Verado
MMSI: 235069179
Send a message via MSN to Zippy
Garmin 750S

Morning.

we have a Garmin 750 S on the rib connected to a Garmin transducer. we are getting a depth readiung but no sonar picture.

when you go into the sonar option it gives you option for temp log but no sonar screen.

the transducer is clearly working as its showing depth and temprature but no sonar screen.

any ideas???

Cheers
Old 17 December 2010, 12:23   #2

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
I assume your transducer is in fact a fully blown sounder and not just a depth only unit?
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2010, 11:17   #3

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Sadly the so-called intelliducer is not that bright, at the moment NMEA2K only does numerical depth and not sonar data.

This came as a considerable surprise and I have suggested that Garmin make the difference much clearer in their specs.
Old 31 December 2010, 11:22   #4

That was a bit of a close one, as you know I looked at the 750S specifically as I wanted sonar. Glad I didn't now, as I'd have been well and truly hacked off to have changed my installation over only to find it didn''t do what I expected it to. I have to say, that is the one thing that lets Garmin down, their description and website details of their accessories is not very good.
Old 31 December 2010, 11:23   #5

You can get sonar with a 750S, just that you need an old fashioned transducer.

Network sonar will be here, not this year though!
Old 17 January 2011, 20:11   #6
PUP

Town: Devon
Boat name: Camira
Make: Ribeye
Engine: Yamaha
MMSI: 235085732
I obviously didn't do enough research then when speccing my new RIB with a Garmin 750s! Is there a way round this then, as I'd much rather have the sonar picture that I'm used to rather than just a depth reading?
Old 17 January 2011, 20:19   #7

Town: New Forest
Just to be clear. the 750S does have sonar when connected to a standard transducer. (the one that comes as standard)

I have the N2K intelliducer (networked transducer) which doesnt gave the capacity to transfer the amount of information required for the Sonar. when i spoke to garmin at the show they suggested this was a limitation of the network rather than their product......

whilst we are being critical, i spoke to Garmin at the show about a setup issue we have with our plotters. sent them an e mail last night with pictures showing what i tried to explain. got a reply back today with full description of how to sort it and offering to come down to make sure its set up correctly! very pleased!!!

I do get depth readings, (which is what we wanted) but dont get sonar picture. reason we went for the Intelliducer was we have 2 750S units and didnt want 2 transducers on the transom to allow us to show depth on both units.

The 750s is a great unit and if you want Sonar, get it with the standard transducer. would be perfect!
Old 17 January 2011, 21:20   #8

Been looking into a new touch screen plotter. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the drawbacks to the 750s are:-

Won't accept GPS aerial data via N2K (only internal or via dedicated BNC connection)
Doesn't network, though will accept radar via ethernet port
Doesn't have video in

Anything else obvious that I've missed that a 5008 would have?
Old 17 January 2011, 23:23   #9

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
Lowrance do this, they have ethernet connections that transfer sonar data including pictures across the network.
I can see the single transducer on my transom from both units including the live pictures on the screen.
Old 18 January 2011, 08:55   #10

Town: New Forest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
Been looking into a new touch screen plotter. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the drawbacks to the 750s are:-

Won't accept GPS aerial data via N2K (only internal or via dedicated BNC connection)

think that is correct although it does have an internal receiver so no need for external aerial unless you are mounting it below deck of inside a larger boat

does accept Radar and does have some network facility, our to are networked in so much as single transducer feeds depth info to both plotters. single fuel tank sensor feeds to both plotters. engine data is viewable on both plotters. i dont know how much further you can go as i am not technically minded really!!

Doesn't have video in

dont think so

Anything else obvious that I've missed that a 5008 would have?
the 5008 is a better unit for sure but the price is much higher. the 750 was designed as a stand alone unit hence the limited network ability. you pays your money, you gets your product...
Old 18 January 2011, 09:30   #11

Quote:
Won't accept GPS aerial data via N2K
Doesn't have video in
It does network, though not as we now know sonar (or radar) but one unit will display non-networked feeds for either or both.

As said it comes down to value for money really, £1800 for the 8" screen fully networked 5 series versus £900 for the 7" screen 750S.

You also need a black box sounder to get proper sonar into the 4 or 5 series, so if you want a good value sonar-capable plotter then you are going to have to look a long time for something to beat the 750S.

Unless of course you want to do as Bruce rightly points out and consider a Lowrance, which is similar money and blows Garmin out of the water (for now) with sonar performance.

Zippy's solution of two 750s networked together is a good one, and at the same price as a single 5008 your getting 14 inches of versatile* fun.

* Not the first word I typed!

Unless you really need a networked GPS or SONAR or RADAR, or you really need video inputs then I would go with the 750S. Then spend the change on fuel and use the boat more.

/worstsalespitchever
Old 18 January 2011, 12:42   #12

Thank you 'Salesman of the year'

I've already got the black box, and also generally take the view that it's better to buy the best you can get/afford at the time otherwise you end up kicking yourself at some future date because it hasn't got a feature you want. One of my gripes about the 750s was that it didn't do radar overlay, though I see they've now brought out a software update to allow that. It boils down to no video input and lack of networking. Networking isn't an issue for me at the minute, but I'd be peeved if they brought out a sidescan equivalent and it only worked on a networked plotter. Strangely the screen is a higher resolution than the 5008. Not sure if it makes a huge amount of difference in the real world bobbing up and down at 30 knots.

I may in the future go Lowrance for sidescan as that really interests me, but that will have to be on next years Christmas list
Old 18 January 2011, 12:54   #13

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Probably my no1 criteria when choosing a plotter is screen size, my philosophy (as with anything else ) is go for the biggest I can fit/afford.

You could always put one of them wedding lists in to Alderney Marine as well as De Gruchys
Old 18 January 2011, 13:00   #14

Good idea. That's your gift sorted then
Old 18 January 2011, 13:49   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by martini View Post
You could always put one of them wedding lists in to Alderney Marine
I would like to make it clear that Malthouse, Alderney Marine, Martin, nor anyone else I can think of is in any way associated with this suggestion. When Martini does finally run out of hiding places he can take one for the team as far as I am concerned.

PS Can I have your boat please?
Old 18 January 2011, 13:52   #16

Quote:
Thank you 'Salesman of the year'
I just cant stop myself
Old 18 January 2011, 20:32   #17
PUP

Town: Devon
Boat name: Camira
Make: Ribeye
Engine: Yamaha
MMSI: 235085732
Zippy, et al,

Many thanks - I feel a bit better now!!

Looking forward to getting my hands on it. Errrr.... literally, I guess, given that it's a touchscreen!!!