Old 05 January 2005, 11:14   #31

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Martin
A few words In defence of ALL European radio manufacturers.
This is one of the perks of manufacturing to a national market of well in excess of 16 million......
Mike
Oh really, so are you saying that the costs of manufacturing a USA spec radio is less than a European one..

Surely it's just a case of pricing at what the market will stand for, which in our case is an expensive one!

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for high prices, I work on percentages so a higher price gives me a larger profit, (although I'm cheaper than most!!!!! ).

It's just that it really annoys me when manufacturer's or their representatives blame import duty and vat as the reason for the high cost of items, when we all know that high profit margins are the biggest cause.

Out of interest, I've enclosed a pic of a USA spec and Euro spec Icom M1, the one on the right is the "legal" one.

Now are you really going to tell me that the manufacturing costs are any different, the shipping costs from Japan aren't similar, so Why is the yankie one half price?????

All IMHO of course!!!

Oh, and before you ask, I only use the "illegal" one when I'm overseas!!!!!! Yeh right!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0293.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	9915   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0294.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	9916  

Old 05 January 2005, 12:00   #32

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Very true DD

Bet they are manufactured in China / Far East anyway. Landed cost in Europe is moreless identical to landed cost in US. However they will clearly price to what the market will bear as do everyone else from Sony to Levi jeans!

Old 05 January 2005, 15:19   #33

Town: New Forest
Boat name: Charlie Brown
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 275 Verado
MMSI: 235069179
Send a message via MSN to Zippy
Hummmm.....

I hadnt intended this to slip into the usual debate about why things are cheaper in the US and how hard done by we brits are paying through the nose!

It all falls down because the vast majority of people in the uk are still prepared to pay UK prices. Price is determed by market forces retailers have every right to charge what they can get away with and the customer always has the choice to go else where.

Thanks for all the replies. it would seem there is money to be saved by buying on the net but as for me, think i will be going to the boat show to get my gadgets from there. Prices may be higher than on the web but i can try them back to back and actually talk to people about the product to get the one thats right for me. Personally i think you cant put a value on that!

Thanks
Howard.
Old 05 January 2005, 17:42   #34

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: 2XS
Make: Halmatic Pacific 24
Length: 7m +
Engine: 135hp Honda X2
hi
Was listening to radio 2 (i know but i am over 40) the other day and there was a chap on there saying about buying from the Web, 1 thing i didn't know is that you have more rights if you buy from the web than you do from a shop.

If you buy somthing from the web and for any or no reason you can return it for a full refund no questions to be answered.

HTH

www.austinmarine.co.uk
Ian Austin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06 January 2005, 01:28   #35
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
This is covered by the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000. It's not specific to web sales -- it applies to any sort of mail order.

Key features:
  • the consumer must be given clear information about the goods or services offered
  • after making a purchase the consumer must be sent confirmation
  • consumer has a cooling-off period of 7 working days

John
Old 06 January 2005, 09:01   #36

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
Bringing this back to bits of kit can anyone fill me in on the "E" or "e" suffix to some gear sold in the states that according to them is fully compliant to EU legislation.

I spoke to a US supplier who basically said we stock both models as we sell alot on the internet so we can sell you either just choose the one with an "e" after it if you're going to use it over here.

I did once wonder if prices did go down would volume go up and would I like the fact that "hey this stuff is cheap" and fill my boots with handhelds and gpss et al coming out of my ears to the point where my annual spend might actually be a lot more than it is now due to value for money going up.

Then some guys in a mini hit me with a fish before I could hit them first.
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 January 2005, 15:37   #37

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: 2XS
Make: Halmatic Pacific 24
Length: 7m +
Engine: 135hp Honda X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett
This is covered by the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000. It's not specific to web sales -- it applies to any sort of mail order.

Key features:
  • the consumer must be given clear information about the goods or services offered
  • after making a purchase the consumer must be sent confirmation
  • consumer has a cooling-off period of 7 working days

John
Thanks John
Had a mental block last night and for the life of me could not remember what it was called, but i knew that someone with greater intelligence than me would know

www.austinmarine.co.uk
Ian Austin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06 January 2005, 16:42   #38

Town: Bembridge IOW
Make: Cobra 8.5m
Length: 8m +
Engine: Merc DTronic 250hp
I bought a Raymarine chartplotter earlier this autumn from www.boatfix.com. No probs at all - all works just fine. Did get stung for VAT & duty but it was still considerably cheaper.
Old 07 January 2005, 05:59   #39

Town: Preston
Boat name: Katy Blue/Banana Yuk
Make: Ribcraft / Mirror
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF90
MMSI: 235086157
Duty Rate?

Paul

Can you remember what the applicable duty rate was? Thanks.

(I'm getting very close to ordering a Garmin plotter).

Neil R

Twenty years in the aircraft industry, five years boating, and I still can't spell propellor ...
Neil R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 January 2005, 09:12   #40

Town: sunny south coast
Boat name: Pride of Bilboa
Length: 10m +
MMSI: 4
Awaiting delivery of a Garmin 178c Plotter.. It left the USA 2 days ago via a friends address.. 367 as apposed to between 570 and 720 in the UK..