Old 08 March 2010, 15:48   #11

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Although the "mobile phone" style trackers have an integral battery which is kept charged by the main boat battery. So I would expect it to last several hours (I think one of them claims >24 hrs)? after disconnect. Surely you only need to be able to track for about 2 hours after the engine leaves its designated geofence for you to have time to (1) verify its on the move/stolen (2) tell the police and give them the tracking information.
Your an engine right, Mr Spiner, and your thrown into the back of a transit van. You have been disconnected from your power supply but you have one built in, but it is being drained fast because the metal van is getting in the way. Then you get unloaded and put inside a railway arch, or other nefarious but suitably unseen location. Your battery is going flat and you can not see the sky.

OK, I have scared myself now, I shall go for a lie down.

Old 08 March 2010, 16:12   #12

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by malthouse View Post
Your an engine right, Mr Spiner, and your thrown into the back of a transit van. You have been disconnected from your power supply but you have one built in, but it is being drained fast because the metal van is getting in the way. Then you get unloaded and put inside a railway arch, or other nefarious but suitably unseen location. Your battery is going flat and you can not see the sky.

I've got a terrier, paid 25 for him, I'm willing to post him to you for a trial, chain him to your engine and see if it gets knicked. I'd appreciate it if you didn't do it whilst afloat though!

Old 08 March 2010, 17:04   #13
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by malthouse View Post

I don't have one of these devices to test - but with no display to power I doubt its going to die in minutes. My phone lasts for over two days with a very old battery even if its in an area with no signal (working hard) and has a backlit display to power. If its in continuous tracking mode then you'll know where it was when it ran out of power/lost signal which is presumably much closer to the engine than the tracker left on the boat.

Getting a text to say the boat/engine has just been tampered with if you're not on the doorstep isn't much use.
Old 08 March 2010, 17:45   #14

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Quote:
I don't have one of these devices to test - but with no display to power I doubt its going to die in minutes. My phone lasts for over two days with a very old battery even if its in an area with no signal (working hard) and has a backlit display to power. If its in continuous tracking mode then you'll know where it was when it ran out of power/lost signal which is presumably much closer to the engine than the tracker left on the boat.

Getting a text to say the boat/engine has just been tampered with if you're not on the doorstep isn't much use.
I'm with Polly on this one. I think alot depends on how much you trust you local force.
Been slap bang on the border of two counties the control room sometimes struggle to work out where I am.
During one case my pager went off and the police over took me whilst I was enroute to station, by the time the police had got lost and I proceded within the speed limits I still got there before then!
Old 09 March 2010, 02:05   #15

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Quote:
Your probably right again. I just have a suspicion that the reason they thieves remove the engine is that it is easier to get under cover than the whole boat.

Of real value would be a tracker that used GSM as well as GPS to find a position, like the iPhone does.