Old 25 October 2015, 15:20   #1

Town: San Pedro, CA
Boat name: CATSASS
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 1986 30HP Mariner
MMSI: 338206221
Dry Dock/No Power Charging Options Between Daytrips

I am installing a fishfinder with GPS on my Avon. I used to have this mounted in my Achilles and used a pelican case with a small 12v AGM UB12100-S battery in it. These are sold as kits for people to use on their fishing kayaks. The pelican case has a charging cable through the side and when done for the day I would just unplug the pelican case and bring it home and charger it there. Only issue is the battery doesn't last very long. Maybe 4-6 hours. Since I have all that room under my jockey seat, I'd like to put a full size battery under there. That way I would have more than enough to run the FF/GPS and maybe even be able to charge my phone, handheld VHF or run a small bait tank for example.

Only issue is that I keep my RIB in a dry dock in San Pedro and they lift it in and out of the water onto my trailer as I use it, then they put the whole rig back into my stall. I haveaccessto water, but the power is about 100 meters away, and across the lane way. I can't plug in a cord and leave the boat there connected to a charger/maintainer to top it up for the next day. I use my boat a lot and I don't want to be hauling that battery back and forth to my tiny studio apartment.

I'm thinking of running a solar charger of some sort, but it would have to be something I plug in and just leave on the boat while parked, then remove while out on the water, or if it's some kind of roll up, and I got it he islands, I guess I could put it in a dry bag. Anyone have any suggestions? The other concern is sometimes I do have several day breaks where I don't use my boat, and don't want to overcharge either on those rare cases where I am not using the boat for extended periods, although I guess I can always run down and remove it if I know in advance it will be sitting a while.

Old 25 October 2015, 15:51   #2

Length: 3m +
Why not charge off the engine?

Solar charge controller would sort the over charge concern

Old 25 October 2015, 16:33   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Even in california you might struggle to charge a full size battery from a solar panel, unless it is very large (expensive) and feeds the battery via controller (more money) and has no shadow on it at all.
Old 25 October 2015, 17:15   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
Why not charge off the engine?

Solar charge controller would sort the over charge concern
It's 30HP manual start Mariner so no charging ability that I'm aware of.
Old 25 October 2015, 17:16   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Even in california you might struggle to charge a full size battery from a solar panel, unless it is very large (expensive) and feeds the battery via controller (more money) and has no shadow on it at all.
I was afraid that was going to the answer. It's outside in full sun but that might now work I guess. Maybe I'll see if I can get a stall closer to a plug.
Old 26 October 2015, 04:10   #6

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Mercury
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
MMSI: 235074042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smesh View Post
It's 30HP manual start Mariner so no charging ability that I'm aware of.
i would look into the charging smesh i have a Suzuki 25 and bought a charging kit cost 106.00 its basically a rectifier & fused wiring loom i got full instructions with it took 20 mins to fit.i use an 8 AH motor cycle battery works well i took a lead off to a cigar lighter to use for charging other kit too

cheers
Old 26 October 2015, 07:58   #7

For that size of engine it would not be impossible that it has a "lighting" coil that just needs connected. You don't by any chance have to wires coming from under the flywheel area that have dead end crimps on them?

I keep a 100Ah caravan battery topped up with a 20W solar panel. After two days use (mostly LED lights, but LCD TV for a few hours etc, USB phone/tablet chargers) the battery can be dipping down a fair bit. 2 weeks later it'll be full charged again.

So it depends what size of battery, what size solar panel and how long between visits to let it recharge. You'll probably only take it to 40-60% of stated capacity so in my case I need to put 60AmpH back in. 20W panel at 12V is capable of producing 1.5+ AmpH. But that assumes good sun etc. In daylight without sun you can get 25-40% of output still if the angle is right. I assume I'm getting 0.5AmpH from the panel. So thats 120hours of charging to get me back to charge. I usually have 12 days frfom running down to returning so thats 10 hours of daylight. That seems to work OK for me so I think my assumptions are OK.

If your battery is smaller you'd have less charging time. If your panel is bigger you'd have less charging time. GPS will draw < 1Amp, FF the same. USB charger the same. VHF I think similar. No idea about your bait tank!

If you are doing some weekend boating and parking up for the following weekend you just need to add the amps together, multiply by number of hours you are operating the kit before returning to base. (If charging phones etc combine the same overnight figure with your total). Now divide that figure by 0.4. That tells you the capacity battery you need.

Then you need to work out the likely number of hours of daylight between parking up and needing the battery to be fully charged again. Take the figure you divided by 0.4 and divide it by the daylight hours between charges. Thats the number of Amps you need per hour from your panel. In my experience you get 0.025Amps per watt, so multiply your Amps per hour by 0.025 - that gives you your solar panel size in watts.

You need a charge controller as Poly says but only cost ~10 on fleabay. If there is a lighting circuit (you'll need a rectifier probably) and you should probably fit one anyway if you are charging a battery from it or running electronics that may not like a spike of 25V being chucked at them when you accelerate!

That will give you a cost to compare to retro fitting a a lighting circuit.

Of course you can then get into having a small panel on an A frame, a lighting circuit a battery and a big panel and working out what the requirements of each would be to keep you at a critical level of power...
Old 02 November 2015, 15:58   #8

Thanks for all the info Shiny Shoe. Right now I'm using a small 12v AGM battery inside a pelican case kind of like this, although simpler.

https://youtu.be/d1cKStvnuTM

I'm planning to mount a full size deep cycle battery under the seat and run it to a Blue Sea fuse box under the console. While we're at it, anyone have any mounting ideas for the battery? I understand there are some concerns about drilling through the deck? Is that true? Any other ideas besides drilling holes?
Old 26 November 2015, 00:11   #9

Sorry to dig up an old thread here, but I'm just addressing this now. I don't have any wiring looms in my motor, but I see that something called a rectifier is still available for purchase. Would this charge my battery while the motor is running?

1986 Mariner Outboard 7030226 ELECTRIC START COMPONENTS Diagram and Parts
Old 26 November 2015, 00:15   #10

Here's another "rectifier assembly" listed under "Optional Parts" that's a bit more money. I'm not sure what the difference is between it and the link above.

1986 Mariner Outboard 7030226 OPTIONAL PARTS Diagram and Parts

Do I need the voltage regulator too? Ugh $347!