Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Electrics and electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 17 February 2016, 05:43   #1

Town: Cape Town
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 60 3cyl 2str
Control box, odd button + kill cord hook up

Hi there, bought first rib and not sure what this switch is? Power switch, I think the lever is missing..

Also, where does the kill cord attach to?

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk
Old 17 February 2016, 09:10   #2

Town: Llanfair pg
Boat name: just about to change
Make: Aircraft
Length: 8m +
Engine: Outboard
MMSI: 13
The killcord should attach to a 'flick' lever below the ignition key in the box beneath it
Old 17 February 2016, 10:05   #3

ah ok thats what i thought.. tx
Old 17 February 2016, 10:11   #4

Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Normal Mercury Quicksilver side mount control.

The key switch is your normal ignition switch - on/off/start.
Below it is a two position flick switch in the little plastic box. This is your killswitch. Up for run, down for dead.
On the end of your killcord is a figure 8 shaped piece of plastic. (On the carabiner in your pic) Put the switch down. Hold the large end of the 8 over the switch with the other end hanging down. Put the switch up so the toggle goes through the big end. The kill cord should now be kept in place & be hanging from the switch. Pull the cord & the switch should be turned off as the cord comes away.
The slot in the top of the switch surround allows you to access the switch if it's in the up position & push it down - I use the point of the ignition key.

The metal lever lying flat on top allows you to increase revs without engaging gear. Useful when starting and flushing. Only works in N.

The side lever is your F-N-R selector and throttle. There should be a safety lever you need to depress to allow you to shift out of N. The buttons/switch on the end are for power tilt&trim.

On mine the engine choke is engaged by turning the ignition key to ON & then gently pressing it in. A click from the engine tells me it's engaged & I can then turn the key to engage the starter motor.
Old 17 February 2016, 11:05   #5

fantastic paintman thanks! VERY helpful info.. wish id asked yesterday - after 3 hours cranking and scratching my head a 1000 times.. called previous owner and he said to push key in - boom.. instantly started!!

great - i thought something broke off there.. at the moment it just flicks up and down.. ill check it when im back at the boat

Old 22 February 2016, 12:41   #6

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintman View Post
The metal lever lying flat on top allows you to increase revs without engaging gear. Useful when starting and flushing. Only works in N.
Use for starting is debatable on a clamshell - see below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstarocka View Post
after 3 hours cranking and scratching my head a 1000 times.. called previous owner and he said to push key in - boom.. instantly started!!
Fstarocka,

Based on your other post I think you may have a "Clamshell" engine. (cowl comes off by opening like a book rather than lifting the lid off?) If not ignore the rest of this post!

If you do have a Clamshell, just be aware when cold starting that the "Choke" on those engines isn't a traditional "cut the air off" butterfly valve type choke - it's actually an enrichening valve - in other words it allows more fuel in through the idle nozzle rather than cutting off the air. (has the same overall effect on the starting air-fuel mix - more fuel = less air)

What that means is that if you try to crank it cold with the fast idle lever up it totally negates the fuel valve by opening the throttle & letting lots of air in, effectively de-choking it. What you may find is you have to crank / fire it on "choke" with your other hand on the fast idle lever to get the revs up as soon as it fires. Each one is slightly different, so have a play and you'll find what yours likes.

I find if I crank mine for 10s or so with the fast idle lever up open then put that lever back & crank it on choke it seems to "pre charge" the intake cavities nicely. (a bit like running open throttle with no spark so draws fuel in)

The "boom" fire you got is likely 'coz you had pumped plenty of fuel through already on your previous 300 cranks!

Just a heads up 'coz it is counter intuitive to how most outboards work - had me stumped for a while on my first outing!
Old 22 February 2016, 12:52   #7

Hi yeah its a clam shell split case 1989.. It idles after first swing almost.. I wasn't pushing in the key!! Don't need the little cable to be pulled.. But thanks for the info anyway

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk
Old 22 February 2016, 13:43   #8

Town: Leicester
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Mine is a clamshell - Black Max.
As you say, correct term is 'enrichener valve'. Pushing the key in turns it on, letting the key back out turns it off.

My own first start of the day:
Squeeze bulb until hard.
Raise throttle lever slightly (and I do mean just a little - not halfway or fully open!)
Turn & push key in. Audible click tells me it's working.
Slow count to 5.
Let key out & turn to start.
Usually starts instantly.

Restarts during the day I usually only open the throttle lever slightly.

I suspect we all have little variations on engine starting & it's what works best for yours
Old 22 February 2016, 15:06   #9

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Aye, they're all different......

« Navlight pole | Top | Gps »