Town: Bexleyheath
Boat name: Project I
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 40hp
MMSI: Non DSC
Breaking News: Ship Radio Licensing

All,

An old subject that has been the subject of much work (by both RA and lately Ofcom) over the last 2 years. The object of the game is to make it easier and less restrictive for the end user to obtain this piece of documentation for radio carrying vessels.

Today Ofcom has published a consultation document in order to get the opinion of “stakeholders” on the results found and the preferred way forward for British vessels. The result will surprise many of those who object to the licence in the first place but hey maybe we weren’t that bad after all.

Please have a look at this http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/src/ you can of course make your thoughts known using the response forms.

Mike
Old 22 February 2005, 10:54   #2

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Great. Let's hope it gets the go-ahead. Thanks for keeping us informed.
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2005, 11:26   #3

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
I don’t get this in recent years ‘government’ has taken any opportunity to increase control on everything via legislation and now with these proposals they are throwing out control that everyone accepts they must be going soft or they are trying to soften us up for something else This is the government that banned people using mobile phones in the car because of 7 recorded accidents This the government who’s employees chase and prosecute people for eating apples You would expect this government to make it law for anyone going to sea to have a vhf, in fact you would expect this government to insist that anyone who goes even near the sea to have vhf, life jacket and flares and yet they are proposing reducing legislation This is so out of character that I have just checked the date to make sure it is not April the first

Still that said it is a good idea

Des
Old 22 February 2005, 11:38   #4
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Looks like some very sensible proposals! If you think it's a good idea (or even if you don't!) then let them know. The feedback procedure is very straight forward, and it only takes a few minutes -- unless you feel the need to write a complete alternative proposal.

BTW Mike, it wasn't clear to me what would happen to the Transportable licence. It's mentioned in the review of the current situation, but I didn't see any mention of how it would be affected by the new scheme.

John
Old 22 February 2005, 12:07   #5

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
I personally welcome the proposal to do away with the yearly fee, having to pay out every year after obtaining the licence, registration and equipment, it just grates on me having to continually fork out money for what is essentially safety equipment, then when you meet people who operate VHF radios illegally kinda makes you think what’s the point !
Old 22 February 2005, 12:26   #6

Town: ramsgate
Boat name: Micki Dee Bee
Make: Ribcraft Seasafari
Length: 9m +
Engine: Twin 250hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235057235
Send a message via MSN to Jon Brooks
Following on from Rat, what is happening to enforcement?
Will that stay as it is?
If MCA take over the Licence will Ofcom keep enforcement?

Regards
Old 22 February 2005, 12:39   #7

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Brooks
Following on from Rat, what is happening to enforcement?
Will that stay as it is?
If MCA take over the Licence will Ofcom keep enforcement?

Regards
Jon no one enforces licenses now! I go out regular with people who frequent this forum who don’t have a licence yet they operate VHF equipment from there boat, why should I bother to renew my registration each year if no one does anything about the unlicensed people ? yes I accept in a life or death emergency its better to have an un licensed radio than none at all, but people don’t use them for this, I regularly hear fishing reports from Joe scum and his mates if something’s biting over some wreck or chatter between people (including members of the forum) about god knows what and without using the correct radio phonetics...... it really pisses me off.

Ok that me done I’ll get off my soap box for now
Old 22 February 2005, 12:50   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge Rat
Jon no one enforces licenses now! I go out regular with people who frequent this forum who don’t have a licence yet they operate VHF equipment from there boat, why should I bother to renew my registration each year if no one does anything about the unlicensed people ? yes I accept in a life or death emergency its better to have an un licensed radio than none at all, but people don’t use them for this, I regularly hear fishing reports from Joe scum and his mates if something’s biting over some wreck or chatter between people (including members of the forum) about god knows what and without using the correct radio phonetics...... it really pisses me off.

Ok that me done I’ll get off my soap box for now
Well they tell us there is.
I understand there will be a large number of inspections to be carried out this year.

I have said it to Mike on many occasion the way to make people sit up and listen is for them to NICK a few and fine them.
Whilst it is nice to take the softly softly route it can have an adverse effect.

All the time the public see little or no action against these offenders they will think "why should I bother"

I am, like many other, miffed with the fact that I undertake all the right training, get the licence yet there are so many who are getting away with not!

Ok I will get off my soap box now!

Regards
Old 22 February 2005, 13:41   #9
DJL

Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Engine: Suzuki DF175TG
Good news - although I think the whole radio licence, CG66 and SSR schemes should be rolled into one. So much information is duplicated and I personally wouldn't mind keeping the license fee to pay for the administration.

As more and more people adopt DSC radios they will be forced to get a ships radio license if they don't already. However, it’s making people attend the SRC VHF course that will ensure correct use of radios. The problem with being more proactive in prosecuting is it might deter people from carrying radios in the first place. Maybe they should be forced to do a radio course instead.

I have never had my licenses checked and I never carry them onboard (it’s too wet).
Old 22 February 2005, 13:44   #10

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL
I never carry them onboard (it’s too wet).
Bung 'em in an Aquapac bag!
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2005, 14:26   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett
BTW Mike, it wasn't clear to me what would happen to the Transportable licence. It's mentioned in the review of the current situation, but I didn't see any mention of how it would be affected by the new scheme.
Well the Portable will be a bit pointless as on-line registration for a boat will be free. If you use a variety of boats with one hand-held you might just as well register each one properly. It's also good for delivery skippers who were the main end users of Portables as they can register the Boat before they go off to pick it up again FOC.

Mike
Old 22 February 2005, 18:22   #12
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
I suppose that it might be worth it for longer deliveries, but unlikely to be worth the effort for odd days here and there.

Who wants to jump through hoops to keep registering a hand held over and over again (even if it is free)? Why not just have a lifetime transportable licence?

I have a hand held VHF, and no boat. The radio is currently unlicensed and will probably remain so . . .

John
Old 22 February 2005, 20:53   #13

That's fine I am assuming you've unscrewed the antenna and taken the battery off the back so there's no problem.

The thing is that once again the Portable licence was a UK only thing, the international rules are that every boat using radio is supposed to have a unique callsign issued by its flag state.

It was thought to be unfair to make people pay for say 5 Ship licences when there was one radio unit amongst the vessels involved.

Mike
Old 20 May 2005, 12:10   #14

Does anyone know what the latest Situation is I think the consultation period has ended so there should be some sort of time table in place Des
Old 20 May 2005, 12:59   #15

Town: Oban
Boat name: RIB Tickle
Make: Humber Assault
Length: 5.3m
Engine: Yamaha 60ETO,Tohatsu 3.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL
I have never had my licenses checked and I never carry them onboard (it’s too wet).
I don't carry the certificate but I put the disc into a motorbike holder and screwed it to the small windscreen I have on the console.
Old 20 May 2005, 13:57   #16

Town: Surbiton,Gt London
Length: 5m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary Des
Does anyone know what the latest Situation is I think the consultation period has ended so there should be some sort of time table in place Des
No but I have just had to send off my renewal for this year
Old 20 May 2005, 14:01   #17

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Champagne Eyes!!!!
Engine: Yamaha 50hp
The reason alot of people dont have radio licences is propably that they dont even know they even exist!

When i started i knew i wanted a radio but didnt know about having an ofcom licence but i did want to learn the correct use procedures.

Old 20 May 2005, 14:15   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal
No but I have just had to send off my renewal for this year
I’m in the same position and was thinking that if they are just about to change things should I bother Des
Old 20 May 2005, 14:32   #19

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL
As more and more people adopt DSC radios they will be forced to get a ships radio license if they don't already.
Is this true - once you've registered once and got an MMSI what makes you renew? Will it be reissued?
Old 20 May 2005, 15:32   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel
Is this true - once you've registered once and got an MMSI what makes you renew? Will it be reissued?

From the way I understand it.
If you have had all you reminders and then a few back up letters they will re issue.
So potentially more than one radio using the same mmsi.

Am sure Mike will confirm or otherwise next time he is on line.

Regards