Old 31 December 2018, 19:22   #1

Town: North West England.
Make: Humber
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard 55hp
Battery advice

Howdo,
I've got a small 4m Humber assault RIB with a 55hp sizuki 2 stroke. She's been miss reated an sponson been badly repairs and a little TLC. Engine has been ran but I've ripped out all the electrical cables apart from the engine loom etc...

My main question (one of many over the months) is what battery do I buy to run the engine, trim/tilt and a good and radio. Pos nav lights if I decide to put them on.

Also as there only 1 lead the the battery + terminal, do I need a kit to be able to charge the battery when the engines running?
Regards
Steven
Old 31 December 2018, 21:21   #2

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
Marine battery's are built different from car batteries in a way they handle being bumped and banged better over rough conditions. They normally have a general 3 sizes unless you are getting into large deep cycle ones for running electric motore etc.

Personaly I use quite a small 12 volt marine battery for my Yam f 70 and carry a small lithium jumper pack just incase of failure. By the way I've never had a battery issue on any boat I've owned in 42years of owning boats ( I have once had a battery lead problem). Small outboards under 115hp can normally be pull started once the cover is removed from the flywheel.

As for running lights, these days by using led lights your power draw will be extremely low. You could even buy fully legal removable battery operated night lights that run on a couple of AA batteries for around 120hrs.

Most people will have their lights on at night while underway, with the engine running and the alternator putting power back into the battery.
Old 01 January 2019, 06:26   #3

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
Howdo,

Also as there only 1 lead the the battery + terminal, do I need a kit to be able to charge the battery when the engines running?
Regards
Steven
The wiring and rectifier/regulator for charging is integrated within the engine so no external wiring is required for that.

You're best with a "leisure" type battery as it will survive being left flat much longer which is a possibility if something's been left switched on when you hap up the boat.

Never had any issues with these..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LV22MF-75...rte5:rk:9:pf:0
Old 01 January 2019, 10:55   #4

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
get a dual cycle gel battery
Old 01 January 2019, 11:24   #5

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Engine will charge the battery via the same lead that starts it so no worties there
If your using it as mainly a start battery you can just use a fairly cheap small car battery. Something like this
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F301828607396

Pure Leisure batteries are not designed for starting loads. They are for light loads over long periods & starting will reduce there life however you can get dual purpose kinds of halfway house batteries now.

For your purpose you can have two perfectly adequate batteries for the price of 1 leisure battery
Whilst it may be argued the leisure battery will last longer i doubt it will last twice as long
Old 01 January 2019, 13:13   #6

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
Looks like the same battery, same price with a higher cold cranking capacity and being called a "marine leisure battery".....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MARINE-LE....c100505.m3226.
Old 01 January 2019, 15:01   #7

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
Looks like the same battery, same price with a higher cold cranking capacity and being called a "marine leisure battery".....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MARINE-LE....c100505.m3226.
[emoji106]good find and doesnt carry the usual "marine premium"