Old 25 March 2010, 12:06   #1

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Any updates on broadband radar?

I was working up a mast yesterday, adjacent to the harbour office's big spinner and as my brain started to bubble out of my ears I thought 'what's going on the the Lowrance stuff I wonder'.

Having done the search and read through some of 2008 and 2009's threads I thought I would ask the question, those that did fit it - what did you think and those that were going to - did you?
Old 25 March 2010, 17:29   #2

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
No idea, but have you read this? http://www.panbo.com/archives/2009/0...rt_2.html#more and the follow up articles.
Old 19 April 2010, 11:49   #3

Town: Chichester
Boat name: Mokoro
Make: Mako
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki 250
BB radar

I have the Lowrance unit on RIB. It is genuinely impressive. At shortest range settings it will show moored boats (obviously) but also the mooring buoy and chain. Pilings in jetties also show up. Navigation marks show very well, and when the radar pic is overlaid on the chart it is strikingly good - very helpful.
It makes night or poor vis navigation a great deal easier. I haven't RTFM'd yet so Marpa and other functions are a mystery but they are all there. Range is not huge but with the thing at a height of 7' above water on a frame it's hardly important.
That one isn't being subjected to bombardment by microwave is a definite bonus. So impressed last season that I have fitted a Simrad version to my Hunton; it's the same but rebadged.