Old 05 November 2012, 11:04   #21

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 150
There's your problem then, give Icom a ring (01227 741741) and send it to them over in Herne Bay and they'll pop a new RX filter in it for you FOC.

I had the same problem and spent ages buggering about with the same ariel as you, re did all the connections and then found out Icom had an issue with their receive filters.
Old 06 November 2012, 10:45   #22

Town: Exmouth, Devon
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post
Is there anything I can do to test my current aerial or is it a case of checking the connections?
Only reliable way of checking antenna system is using am SWR meter. This will clearly show if the cable/antenna are working efficiently. Apart from checking all the connections, including ferrule or whatever in antenna base, and retesting, there's not much else you can do. Be wary of continuity/resistance tests as even antennas from the same manufacturer can have different characteristics.

You might find a local radio shop or repair centre will let you borrow a meter. They have to be suitable for the VHF frequency range (ie cover 150-200MHz) to work correctly. Don't use a CB radio one for example. You can do it anywhere - no need to be near the sea as you aren't relying on any message actually being received/transmitted.
Old 27 May 2013, 12:51   #23
RIBnet supporter

Town: Orkney
Boat name: Skylark
Make: Bombard 500
Length: 5m +
Engine: 60hp Yamaha outboard
MMSI: 235091893
Hi all. Just to say I've recently replaced my Rib Raider antenna with the Metz from Salty John and the improvement is amazing. Coast stations I'd not heard before all come in all the time now.

Exactly the same setup and location apart from the antenna. I'd question whether it was worth getting anything cheaper, especially for those times when you want your signal to be as strong as possible. Seriously thinking about replacing my AIS antenna with a Metz too now.

Hope this helps

Steve
Old 27 May 2013, 13:34   #24

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
I took the frame off of the SR last week to have it re-powder coated. Fortunately, I broke the Ribraider getting it off.
I have an s/s whip on it's way, so the VHF should burst into life for the first time once it's fitted.

Tags
rib