Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 10 December 2009, 06:56   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Leeds
Length: 5m +
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 14
advice needed for fishfinder

Hi all, looking for a bit of advice on fishfinders. my old garmin has packed up so looking to buy a new colour unit. It will be used for finding wrecks in the 10-50m range, I've been looking at the 400 series but it lists two different types, dual beam and dual frequency, I assume I need the dual frequency for salt water but can anyone advise me please?

Chris
__________________

__________________
chrisangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2009, 11:47   #2
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,653
Dual freq is for fresh/salt (sort of. More depth related, but that's how it's marketed.)

The higher freq (usually in the 200KHz to 500KHz range) gives better definition, but lacks penetration, so is usually used in lakes and shallow ocean water.

The lower frew (usually 50KHz or so) penetrates to depth better but gives a coarser return. It is normally used for deeper ocean water.

Dual beam gives a wider picture of what's below you, but as far as I know, you tend to lose definition (anything reflecting the signal within the beam shows up as a hit, so it becomes more of a proximity detector.)



jky
__________________

__________________
jyasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2009, 11:58   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: York
Boat name: Sugar Free
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisangus View Post
Hi all, looking for a bit of advice on fishfinders. my old garmin has packed up so looking to buy a new colour unit. It will be used for finding wrecks in the 10-50m range, I've been looking at the 400 series but it lists two different types, dual beam and dual frequency, I assume I need the dual frequency for salt water but can anyone advise me please?

Chris
We are looking at getting a new fishfinder too. Although it is metal we are looking for too, and not fish. Any reason for getting a colour unit over monochrome?

Gary
__________________
GaryC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2009, 16:32   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 859
Garmin dual frequency - normally (?) supplied as 50Hz and 200Hz. I select only the 200Hz out of preference in depths to 55m looking for wrecks ; this has a narrower beam (cone) than at 50Hz so more precise when trying to shot
just mho
Jeff
__________________
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2009, 12:14   #5
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryC View Post
We are looking at getting a new fishfinder too. Although it is metal we are looking for too, and not fish. Any reason for getting a colour unit over monochrome?
Gary
I find the color screens a lot easier to see than monochrome. An added bonus is the color change on signal strength, and it makes it easier to tell if you're over, say, sand vs. rock.

Might be just me though.

jky
__________________
jyasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2010, 10:13   #6
Member
 
Razorbill RIBs's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: N. Pembrokeshire
Boat name: Various
Make: RIBs & Hovercraft
Length: 9m +
Engine: Outboards
MMSI: Various
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,357
RIBase
Bouncing this old post.....

The side imaging debate goes on with the crew....leaning back towards towfish at the moment as we may have found a second hand one....

However, also looking to swap out the Eagle Monochrome fishfinders for a colour unit (dual frequency I think). Have looked at Garmin FF400C Colour Fishfinder c/w Tranducer as per thread starter.....

Want stand alone /don't want to add transducer to the S/H plotter as want full size screen (just personal preference)....

Anyone any recomendations /feedback on this unit or otherwise.....for identifying wrecks mainly....

Thanks, Dan
__________________
Dan Worth
www.razorbillribs.co.uk

Follow us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php...17306504953480
Razorbill RIBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2010, 11:00   #7
Member
 
Channel Ribs's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Worth View Post
However, also looking to swap out the Eagle Monochrome fishfinders for a colour unit (dual frequency I think). Have looked at Garmin FF400C Colour Fishfinder c/w Tranducer as per thread starter.....
The FF400C is a nice unit, but Lowrance are my new bestest buddies and I like the look of the HDC-5x. The latter would also give you more flexibility with your downscan setup and future proof for bb radar.

Have you compared the receive strength on that diddy VHF antenna versus your crystal palace one yet?
__________________
Channel Ribs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2010, 13:26   #8
Member
 
Razorbill RIBs's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: N. Pembrokeshire
Boat name: Various
Make: RIBs & Hovercraft
Length: 9m +
Engine: Outboards
MMSI: Various
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,357
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by malthouse View Post
The FF400C is a nice unit, but Lowrance are my new bestest buddies and I like the look of the HDC-5x. The latter would also give you more flexibility with your downscan setup and future proof for bb radar.

Have you compared the receive strength on that diddy VHF antenna versus your crystal palace one yet?
Cheers Mart....

just dashing out (and away for a few days with EA from early tomorrow), but will look at that unit....guessing you could get a decent deal on it ??

Unfortunately, we can't get hold of the CG from lots of our dive sites with the diddy arial

That said, the mahoosive one stores nicely in the paddle straps and we use both....guess there really isn't any substitute for size......

Dan
__________________
Dan Worth
www.razorbillribs.co.uk

Follow us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php...17306504953480
Razorbill RIBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2010, 13:32   #9
Member
 
Channel Ribs's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Worth View Post
will look at that unit....guessing you could get a decent deal on it
We are just getting set up with Lowrance, great looking stuff and I am liking the prices.
__________________
Channel Ribs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2010, 15:05   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: no name yet
Make: Still building it..
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115 hp
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 582
Lowrance
__________________

__________________
Sonar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:55.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.