Town: Lancs
Boat name: Beretta
Make: Ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: 175hp e-tec
MMSI: 235035778
RIBase
Add ICOMMAND

This summer I have enjoyed the RIB, and its got me through the bad times - but it needs some TLC.

I have wanted this for a while, but never actually got round to it, but now as my MAP 3500c has packed in - this winter will be the time to change my electronics.

I want to add ICOMMAND - as this is all new to me, has anyone had any experience?

Ideally I command that will link with the new plotter?
Old 30 October 2013, 18:34   #2

Town: Blackpool
Boat name: Magic II
Make: Tohatsu 6.1
Engine: Evinrude 115 E-tec
MMSI: 235050189
Send a message via Skype™ to kwil
Icommand is just the name given by Evinrude for a range of instruments that connect via nmea2000. The Icommand instruments are the same as Lowrance LMF guages and Suzuki gauges, just the firmware is different.
The important bit to get everything talking is to create a nmea2000 network. But you can have a mixture of nmea and traditional gauges, I have done this and you are welcome to have a look at my setup as I am not too far away. My setup has Commander analogue tachometer, analogue trim, analogue volts, LMF200, Lowrance GM8200, Lowrance HDS 5, Lowrance nmea2000 radio and memory module for fuel calculations.

Keith
Old 30 October 2013, 18:40   #3

RIBase
Where do I start? Do they do a starter kit?
Old 30 October 2013, 21:22   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
Basically... NMEA 2000 is the way you'll need to do it.

This is a network system, think of it like a tank of water, any pipe can put water in and any pipe can take any water out. Everything is shared.

For a basic system all the information you need is the engine data, and a GPS module.

The iCommand can show all this data but you can also link your plotter into the network, and assuming you choose a suitable one, it will show the engine information too which can be very useful for example in order to store fuel data.

I think you need BRP P/N 0763541 which should connect the engine's brain into this new network, I would suggest a call to Mike Vincent at South Coast Marine to have a chat and make sure which parts you need, he will know if you give him your model year and say you want to connect it into the NMEA 2000 network. This cable(s) will need to be run from the engine up to the console. In the console you will run this new cable into a "t" connector. See here for a really good basic guide.

To this you need to add a wire which runs to the battery, then you need to add in a GPS module, probably the new Lowrance Point-1. An iCommand then just has one wire which goes into the network and it takes its power from the network. If you have a compatible plotter it will get position info and engine data off the network too.

To begin with you need:
NMEA 2000 terminators (Male & female)
4x NMEA T connectors
NMEA 2000 power connector,
NMEA 2000 GPS Module
iCommand Guage
NMEA 2000 harness for the engine

I would suggest you also get the Evinrude Memory Module, this allows the iCommand to calculate the fuel you have remaining just from the fuel it knows you have used.

I recommend Garmin for the new plotter: 751
Old 31 October 2013, 08:47   #5

Boat name: Hysucat
Make: Hysucat
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin Suzuki 175's
MMSI: 235102645
RIBase
Im reading this with interest as I intend to connect my twin Suzuki's to my Garmin. I want to measure fuel consumption / range left / temp etc - (revs and trim are taken care of via the guages already).

So I suppose I just need the network cable since the engines are brand new as is the Garmin - they should be compatible right ? - is it just a case of connecting them, or do I need some software for the Garmin to interperat the engine output ?

Would Mike Vincent at South Coast Marine be a suitable contact for all the bits, or is there someone else I should speak to as its Suzuki / Garmin ?
Old 31 October 2013, 10:41   #6
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimix View Post
Im reading this with interest as I intend to connect my twin Suzuki's to my Garmin. I want to measure fuel consumption / range left / temp etc - (revs and trim are taken care of via the guages already).

So I suppose I just need the network cable since the engines are brand new as is the Garmin - they should be compatible right ? - is it just a case of connecting them, or do I need some software for the Garmin to interperat the engine output ?

Would Mike Vincent at South Coast Marine be a suitable contact for all the bits, or is there someone else I should speak to as its Suzuki / Garmin ?
I believe that I was the first person in France to connect a Suzuki to NMEA 2000. It is very simple. Which Garmin unit do you have?

It is simply a question of getting a harness to connect the engine into the network. What does the guage on your console look like for the engine. It is possible that it is an iCommand as Suzuki use the same guages. If so then it is simply a question of adding a "t" and branching to the Garmin. If not then you'll need to follow my suggestions above and start from scratch.

South Coast marine is for BRP really, I'm sure someone will be along shortly to advise the best Suzuki dealer who can help you with the engine bits.
Old 31 October 2013, 11:19   #7

RIBase
Ive a 750s Garmin.

The guages on the consol are white ones. Revs (with the various warning lights) and trim guages.

So you reckon all I need to do is add a T junction and the information will flow from the engine to both the Garmin and the current guages. That does sound nice and simple

So does the Garmin convert this info to its own graphic display, or do you need software to do that ?
Old 31 October 2013, 11:30   #8
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Quote:
Ive a 750s Garmin.

The guages on the consol are white ones. Revs (with the various warning lights) and trim guages.

So you reckon all I need to do is add a T junction and the information will flow from the engine to both the Garmin and the current guages. That does sound nice and simple

So does the Garmin convert this info to its own graphic display, or do you need software to do that ?
Ok, so the gauges are individual for each of their functions? That means you need to start again because you have no network.

I would suggest that you sell the existing white guages and replace them with multifunction Lowrance LMF-400 guages. These are the same as iCommand and what Suzuki supplies with new engines. These are digital and will be able to display any information you want. I ran into this issue with my Suzuki - it is either/or for each of the data sets. You can either have it on the network or you can have it going to the individual data, I suggest it is better to have it all on the network. You can get 2 and 3.5 inch guages.

The graphic displays are already built into the Garmin, all you need is to connect it into the network and it will show the data however you want it, no need for any software.
Old 31 October 2013, 11:50   #9

RIBase
Oh, thats a shame

So your saying the information going to the guages I have cant be split to go to the Garmin as well.

So I need at least two new digital guages (Revs / Trim) and a network cable that can plug into the Garmin. Or if they are digital guages I could get them to display things like temp / pressure / fuel use etc could I ?

I have seen in the Garmin catalogue a cable that measures fuel flow - perhaps I can just use that to monitor fuel being used by the engines. Since Im really only interested in consumption / whats left type of info.

Mmmm, so its not that stright forward then.
Old 31 October 2013, 12:02   #10
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Quote:
So your saying the information going to the gauges I have cant be split to go to the Garmin as well.
Hmmmm.
I think I may be getting confused between my current etec and my old Suzuki.

I was about to answer yes however on my Suz I did have the old style rev and trim guages working perfectly well alongside the NMEA 2000.

I don't remember exactly what data went to the plotter but I know for sure that fuel consumption was on there so if that's all you want it for then that would be perfectly possible, leaving the existing gauges as they are.
Quote:
So I need at least two new digital guages (Revs / Trim) and a network cable that can plug into the Garmin. Or if they are digital guages I could get them to display things like temp / pressure / fuel use etc could I ?
If you did swap the analogue gauges for digital then yes they could display all that. Though the plotter will of course...
Quote:
I have seen in the Garmin catalogue a cable that measures fuel flow - perhaps I can just use that to monitor fuel being used by the engines. Since Im really only interested in consumption / whats left type of info.
Those fuel flow meters are renowned for being useless, the engine is the only thing that knows how much fuel it is using. The Garmin can then use this data and time to work out how much fuel has been used, and if you tell it how much you started with then it can work out how much you have left very accurately.
Old 31 October 2013, 12:12   #11

RIBase
Ah, OK................. so perhaps its not bad news then.

So I could / maybe able to keep my guages (which are nice) and send data to my Garmin.

Im really only interested in fuel - flow/range left.

Anyone know of a Suzuki Dealer who knows the answer and can supply the cable.

(Good heads up on the Garmin fuel flow meter, cheers)
Old 14 November 2013, 10:23   #12

RIBase
Anyone know of a good supplier for this kit - I will be buying it in stages due to cash flow, but plan to have it all ready for the Anglesey cruise
Old 14 November 2013, 16:16   #13

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHall View Post
Anyone know of a good supplier for this kit - I will be buying it in stages due to cash flow, but plan to have it all ready for the Anglesey cruise
Mike Vincent at South Coast Marine
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2013, 18:42   #14

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
+1. Top bloke and service and super knowledgeable. The biggest e'rude spares dealer in the land.
Old 14 November 2013, 19:59   #15
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
+2
Old 15 November 2013, 20:22   #16

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Stepping back slightly, as this may be being read by non Suzi owners, NMEA 2000 is a "global" standard - I currently have my 1970s premix Merc Clamshell talking to a Lowrance plotter and displaying cyl head temp & coolant pressure. Once the testing period is over I'll set a couple of alarms & remove the engine data from screen.

On paper at any rate, if your plotter talks NMEA2K, your engine will talk to it if it has either an adaptor module or NMEA built into the engine control electronics. "extras" can be added by fitting individual sensors to the data bus.

There's almost an argument these days for two plotters - one to display engine data. I guess the logical conclusion to that is you could use one for engine data, but if the nav. machine packs up, then you have a backup map....
Old 18 November 2013, 17:12   #17

RIBase
Wow! Got the first quote back to add iCommand...£1955.53+VAT
Old 18 November 2013, 18:05   #18

RIBase
Quote:
Wow! Got the first quote back to add iCommand...£1955.53+VAT
Is that for someone else to do it or just for the parts to diy?
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 18 November 2013, 18:10   #19

RIBase
That's just parts.... Not sure I understand them all though?

Bits with questions.
28ft wiring harness £181.13 - not sure what this is for?
GPS Aerial £324.12 - can I use my current Lowrance 2000 GPS? Has what looks a blue NMEA plug?

Others
3.5 inch I Command gauge 329.32
2 inch I Command gauge 206.56
15ft EMM data cable 65.60
Terminator kit 14.54
Power supply kit 33.87
Network Cable 25ft 38.94
Memory Module 92.07
Water Pressure sender 133.63
https://www.facebook.com/rib.beretta/
SteveHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2013, 18:34   #20

RIBase
Quote:
That's just parts.... Not sure I understand them all though?

Bits with questions.
28ft wiring harness £181.13 - not sure what this is for? This is to convert your engine wiring harness to Icommand so you get trim position displayed on the icommand/lowrance plotter. Not essential if you're not bothered about seeing trim displayed.
GPS Aerial £324.12 - can I use my current Lowrance 2000 GPS? Has what looks a blue NMEA plug? Dunno, so can't comment.

Others
3.5 inch I Command gauge 329.32
2 inch I Command gauge 206.56 Don't see why you need this, most of your info will display on your plotter assuming it's N2k, all of the data will be on the 3.5".
15ft EMM data cable 65.60
Terminator kit 14.54
Power supply kit 33.87
Network Cable 25ft 38.94
Memory Module 92.07
Water Pressure sender 133.63
See above