Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 01 December 2005, 14:32   #1
DGR
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 827
Yanmar 315HP......

I've been told that the Yanmar 315HP is the same engine as the Landcruiser Amazon - 4.2l TD. Does anyone know whether it has a separate starter relay on the Toyota version, i.e. is separate from the starter motor and solenoid unit?

The marine engine has one, it's bust, and a replacement one (if they decide that they can't/won't do it under warranty) is 73.27



D...
__________________

__________________
DGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 December 2005, 14:53   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,841
I gather that the block is the same, the ancilleries may differ. My experience is with Mercruisers which are either Ford V6 or GM V8. You have to quite careful buying auto rather than marine componants. The marine starters/alternators etc are all "spark arrested" to minmise fuel leak explosions. The marine block also has a crank driven mechanical fuel pump rather than an electronic item to lessen the amount of motors in the engine bay. It still could be the same item though.
__________________

__________________
Mollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 December 2005, 15:00   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: scotland
Boat name: Leviathan
Make: Phantom
Length: 8m +
Engine: GM Diesels
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGR
I've been told that the Yanmar 315HP is the same engine as the Landcruiser Amazon - 4.2l TD. Does anyone know whether it has a separate starter relay on the Toyota version, i.e. is separate from the starter motor and solenoid unit?

The marine engine has one, it's bust, and a replacement one (if they decide that they can't/won't do it under warranty) is 73.27



D...
Just replace it with a generic Automotive 30 amp relay, and mount it so it can't fill with water. (ie, connections facing down) twood be fine.
__________________
Jonny Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 December 2005, 15:16   #4
DGR
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 827
Thank you JF - I will investigate further tomorrow.........

Dylan...
__________________
DGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 December 2005, 08:31   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollulnan
My experience is with Mercruisers which are either Ford V6
????

you sure about that, obviously limited experience!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollulnan
The marine block also has a crank driven mechanical fuel pump rather than an electronic item to lessen the amount of motors in the engine bay. It still could be the same item though.
Only the old ones, you need to take a look at a current motor! The only reason they had a mech pump was because that's how the motors came from chevrolet, when the car world went electronic, the marine world was forced to as well!
__________________
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!
Dirk Diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:24.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.