Old 29 July 2015, 04:16   #11

Town: Isle of Lewis
Make: Ceasar Thundercat
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 70ces
RIBase
tiller has now been modified so that the cables push/pull the right way. But the cables are now too long by around 60mm, so I need to order shorter ones. going to give Hindle controls a call and see if they can help

Old 28 August 2015, 05:22   #12
Spammer

Town: Southern Ontario
Boat name: -Unknown-
Make: SeaMax
Engine: Merc/Minn Kota
Inspite of receiving some great information above re wiring, removing any of the charge or lighting coils may or may not be the best avenue, I feel. Actually I wouldn't mess with the wiring at all for the mods your doing without a complete Service manual in hand and some knowledge of all the do and don't do specifics. The only advantage I see based on your stated mods is you can sell the parts removed for a handsome price. Hand starting a 70 is no easy task on a engine-moody day. Good luck.

Old 29 August 2015, 04:54   #13

RIBase
Thanks,
all the wiring is now done, got the engine going but still fine tuning it. I took the lighting coils off, I'd done the same on my tohatsu 50 before. It's fairly straightforward, the idea being to reduce electromagnetic drag on the engine and thereby squeeze another 0.01hp out of it!
re starting it, I know now haha! My hands are cut and bruised from pulling it over hundreds of times this last week, wishing I'd left the electric start on until it was tuned...
Old 29 August 2015, 05:39   #14
Spammer

Town: Southern Ontario
Boat name: -Unknown-
Make: SeaMax
Engine: Merc/Minn Kota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roflhat View Post
Thanks,
all the wiring is now done, got the engine going but still fine tuning it. I took the lighting coils off, I'd done the same on my tohatsu 50 before. It's fairly straightforward, the idea being to reduce electromagnetic drag on the engine and thereby squeeze another 0.01hp out of it!
re starting it, I know now haha! My hands are cut and bruised from pulling it over hundreds of times this last week, wishing I'd left the electric start on until it was tuned...
That size engine won't notice a thing in removing lighting coil. The only difference will be 14 lbs from engine weight (starter). How did you manage moving the electric choke to the cowl or base?
Old 29 August 2015, 17:10   #15

RIBase
Probably not but it's one less part to go wrong!
I removed the electric choke controls, the engine has a hole cut in the lower cowl for the choke linkage. I'm just using a length of wire for the linkage just now, theres a choke connection on the bottom carb, it's an on/off choke which clicks into position.