Old 18 August 2005, 17:22   #1

Length: no boat
Yamaha 50hp

How much would a good price for a yamaha 50hp engine be???
Old 18 August 2005, 18:45   #2

Town: Chelmsford/Anglesey
Make: Avon SR/RibLite 3.1m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda 30hp/Yam 8hp
More than a good price for a Suzuki, Mariner or Evinrude 50, that's for sure!
One dealer on the South coast last year was quoting £3,600 for a new Evinrude E-Tec 50hp which had a list price of around £4,800 Another was prepared to part with a new Suzi 50 for £3,800, which has a similar RRP to the 'Rude.

If you're talking 4-stroke, be aware that Yamaha brought out a new 50 last year with Efi. You could well be able to find a dealer who's stuck with one of the carburettor versions and would be prepared to do a deal. Only last month I was looking for a new Yamaha Malta 3hp engine which Yamaha stopped building about 2 years ago. Convinced I'd only ever find a second hand one, I made a last ditch phone call to one of their best dealers, Liverpool Power Boats. Imagine my surprise when the girl on the phone said they had a brand new shiny one literally hanging up in the showroom window!! It was only one of two left in the country
Old 18 August 2005, 19:44   #3

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
I concour with Lord D on this matter, it definately does pay to shop around, and if like myself your not interested in getting your hands dirty fitting out the engine, then there's always room for a good deal.
With the Soton boat show fast approaching its the best time of year to pick up outgoing 05 engines, i went through the process this time last year and was astounded just how much dealers knocked there prices down just to make the sale, though the boat show seemed like a nasty dead duck for obtaining good deals.

Also worth thinking about where you will get your shinny new motor serviced and maintained whilst still in warranty, no good buying a rude cheap on the south coast when you live in Kent, suddenly your faced with a 200 mile round trip to get the engine serviced or warranty work done ! make sure whatever you buy can be serviced or looked after by your local dealer.