Old 10 August 2005, 03:18   #11

Town: Saltash, Cornwall
Make: Rib less:-(
Length: no boat
Brian
Just a thought about when you said you had to replace the shock drive rubbers, mine were shot when we stripped the leg and transom shield off.
After getting it all reinstalled we got the engineer to come down to the boat with the alignment tool - no idea how much this bit of machined steel costs from Yam. Upon arrival he said it looked fine, but couldn't get the tool in, resulted in lowering the engine 3/4" and movingthe engine 3/4" to port and drilling new mount holes tapping them. Thus its worth getting it checked next time.

hard1,
can you elaborate as this is the first I've heard off where there has bit of metal floating round the leg. I had a drive shaft seal where the shaft and let water in and sloppy steering.

Rgds
James

Old 12 September 2005, 05:59   #12

Town: Bizerte
Boat name: gourck
Make: GulfCraft
Length: 10m +
Engine: diesel i/o
engine/shaft alignement can be checked with a special tool. The rule is that alignment is correct when the drive shaft can be positionned and /or easily removed without force. Each time an alignment problem is evidenced, transom bearing should be checked because of inadequate load.
Regards

Old 12 September 2005, 08:27   #13

Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly
Brian
Just a thought about when you said you had to replace the shock drive rubbers, mine were shot when we stripped the leg and transom shield off.
After getting it all reinstalled we got the engineer to come down to the boat with the alignment tool - no idea how much this bit of machined steel costs from Yam. Upon arrival he said it looked fine, but couldn't get the tool in, resulted in lowering the engine 3/4" and movingthe engine 3/4" to port and drilling new mount holes tapping them. Thus its worth getting it checked next time.

hard1,
can you elaborate as this is the first I've heard off where there has bit of metal floating round the leg. I had a drive shaft seal where the shaft and let water in and sloppy steering.

Rgds
James
Sorry Jelly, just spotted your question (reply) to a comment I made a month ago. I have no intimate technical knowledge of Yamaha legs but 2 colleagues of mine have had to rebuild/replace legs rduring the past year as a result of metal debris and bearing damage in regularly serviced (although out of warranty) legs both on Yamaha motor installations. Probably both around 250-300 hours. In one case it was cheaper to source a pre-owned leg for a cost of 4K than repair the orignal. The second was rebuilt for about 2.5K.

Amazing how it's always "the first time this has happened" though.