Old 29 November 2017, 21:13   #1

Length: 5m +
Y F100F i box this winter..

This winter’s gonna suck!
Got a brand new Yamaha F100F in.. well out of the cardboard box, WAITING for spring. Untouched and as so, with no oil.
Had the yellow cap off just see if it at least had a oilfilm - dry as a bone!

It has to lay down in a cold dry warehouse, and that’s why the factory ships it with no oil. But for how long is that “a good idea”

My plan is to launch March- if I can stand it for so long. [emoji30]

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2215.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	222.9 KB
ID:	122885
Old 29 November 2017, 21:28   #2

As I said before, check with Yamaha if your manual doesn't give the info you need, NOT the dealer!!!! what they want done and do EXACTLY what they suggest. You are risking your warranty going off piste so early in the day. This applies to storing it, PDI, first service etc.

It begs the question though, why buy an engine and write off 5 months of warranty? Get it on the back of the boat and get it ran in ready for march.
Old 29 November 2017, 22:00   #3

Y F100F i box this winter..

The manual says nothing about pre storage. Only be aware it comes with no oil.
Yamaha Corp says ask your dealer - it’s even #1 when you call them “are you a private owner calling Yamaha Motors press 1...” TUUUUT
“Please call your nearest Yamaha dealer, goodbye!” And it hangs up!

The dealer has no clue whether it can sit there with no oil or not - kinda why I’m asking. I do get it have had a testrun, but it is seriously dry when you look at the lifters through the oil fill port.

If it fails with something the warranty covers, it’s gonna do so within the first season anyway.
If you get top controller, lanyard panel, 18P SS prop, 10L oil, filters, demobilizer, other instruments, gazcans, hoses, sealants, 15” teflon cables, yamashield spray, doing all services my self and upholding manufacturing warranty - in trade for an old Merc and 48.000DKR.
No one with give a flying something for 5 months unused warranty, if they were offered the same deal. That’s why.

AND the original idea was in a matter of fact, to launch right away, but it’s pitch black at 1600 now and 1 C, pretty poor excuse I know.

But yeah I hear you brother, might as well pop that cherry!
Old 29 November 2017, 22:18   #4

Is this the same dealer that you bought the engine from saying no comment?

If it is then you need a new dealer me thinks, they clearly don't want to risk it breaking over winter and you blaming them.

Is there a section in the manual about winterising? Follow that if you have no option.

I would still mount it and get it ran in if at all possible.

I don't think you are allowed to ship engines with any oil in them which is probably why it is as good as bone dry. But it may have sat for months or years like that before you got it so another few months wont hurt it. You would need to check the serial number for how old it is to get a gauge on that.

Whilst I dont want to keep dragging up old ground, this is important. who told you that you can service it and keep the warranty? You have said yamaha are not interested in dealing with you and the dealer doesn't have a clue about storing it in current state, so how do you know you have a warranty if you self service it?

Something isn't adding up here with your dealer, be very VERY careful with what you are doing. I bet my mortgage yamaha will void your warranty in short order with self service unless they tell you themselves in writing.
Old 29 November 2017, 22:23   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
Is this the same dealer that you bought the engine from saying no comment?

It’s Yamaha Corp! As suggested I call instead of the dealer. The dealer is kind and all, but doesn’t have a clue on anything. Like every thing else in this modern world.
Old 29 November 2017, 22:54   #6

There is a section in the manual for prolonged storage, I've just found it on yamaha UK site. Check your own manual you got with the engine as it tells you what to do for storing for 2 months plus. Failing that your own country yamaha site you can get the manual.

Also, this is on homepage of UK site, note the warranty service bit, what does your site say? -

Five year warranty on all new four-stroke Yamaha outboards

Applies to leisure users only

Covers F2.5 to F350 models

Parts and labour cover

Subject to complying with the recommended service schedule

Servicing must be carried out by an authorised Yamaha Motor UK outboard dealer

Engine must be run on Yamalube oil
Old 01 December 2017, 09:49   #7

Town: Wootton Bridge
Boat name: N/A
Make: Ballistic
Engine: 70hp
MMSI: 235118695
My F70 manual gives clear instructions on what to do for First Time operation. Yam's website will allow you to download the manual for your own F100 if you have not got a copy. The manual is very direct that you must fill with oil before starting the engine and then follow the breaking-in engine guidance set out in the manual. The breaking-in period takes place over 10 hours. If the breaking-in period is not followed, the manual states that reduced engine life or severe engine damage can occur. Doubtless, none of these events will be covered under warranty.