Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 26 August 2010, 11:35   #1

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Wow, can't argue with Mercury/Barrus, excellent

As many of you may have noted, we have had numerous problems with our 175 optimax this and last season. As very light users, it's only done 70 hours and we bought it with 33, it has affected our use massively.

Anyways, the local dealer/servicing agent were meant to be seeing the boat on Tuesday (after bank holiday) when the chief mechanic is back off hols. My old old mum wrote a letter to "mercury" expressing her dissatisfaction with the reliability of a brand new engine costing so much. We thought she'd get nowhere. However when she did this to the head of welsh police, after getting two 3points and two fines in a 15 minute journey in and out of Menai Bridge, she got one fine and 3 points removed. So we let her have a crack. Go Granny!

Suffice to say Tim Bennet from Barrus rang the old man today, within a day of receiving the letter and had already phoned the boatyard to establish what was being done. (Not many car companies would do that) He stated that if the mechanic doesn't look at it on his day of return they will send someone from there and get it sorted. Excellent!

The boatyard is busy with a months worth of work and had said they would try and look at it that week sometime and may be able to fix it if it was something small. So we're pretty impressed with Barrus.

In addition, as a gesture of good will, said they would pay for the service at the end of season.

Can't say fairer than that. Amazing what a polite "hand written" letter expressing dissatisfaction with a brand that we valued after 10 years with a 3cyl 90hp opti with no problems. The old girl could teach some of these chavs a thing or to about manners and complaining.

I'd also like to note Ian Sharlot has always been excellent and prompt with any issues, we bought the boat from him as an ex demo. He himself had been on to Barrus to confirm extended warranty etc when the boatyard said it was only 3 years.

I though i should share our experience with you all, as despite niggly problems with this engine, they have come up trumps and ultimately i suppose it's all part of boating. The boat in itself is excellent and proved its worth when we circumnavigated Anglesey, hitting some heavy chop and overfalls in numerous places. Boat handled it excellently and the engine has such torque and instant response.

I just hope they can sort it for the 6th, another weeks holiday booked for a decent blast or three Conwy and Llyn peninsula here i come....i hope
Old 28 August 2010, 08:26   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Customer satisfaction is everything. If a manufacturer keeps you loyal to the brand - then the chances are you'll stay with them through thick and thin. Nice to hear Barrus have been pro-active.
Old 28 August 2010, 08:48   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Paul,

Hopefully they'll actually get it fixed and reliable again, as calling you and promising that they'll intervene if your local guy can't is just the first step. I think from Barus' point of view its good to see that "so little" has actually flipped you from disgruntled customer to brand advocate though.
Old 28 August 2010, 09:23   #4

Boat name: Joy Ride
Make: Ribtec655CamelTrophy
Engine: 200 optimax
HUMBER P4VWL- I second your praise for barrus. Replied on the phone to an email I sent them within 24hrs (with a solution to my problem).
Much praise to Uncle Al on here also.
Not often you see praise for a companies customer service.
Old 28 August 2010, 15:27   #5

Make: Valiant
Length: 5m +
Engine: 75 Optimax
Tim and Alan are both great guys, always been very helpful when I've spoken to either and we are a dealer.

Nice to see they are passing on their help to the users too !
Old 28 August 2010, 19:57   #6

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard
As already posted elsewhere, I have nothing but praise for Barrus when problems occure.

Steve
Old 31 August 2010, 15:11   #7

Well so far so good. Tim Bennett as promised called the boatyard this morning to ensure the head mechanic was back from hols and would take a look at our boat.

The yard rang us at lunch to update us and say they were water testing a boat and would go and look at ours and tow it back if necessary.

Tim Bennett rang the olds this afternoon to update us on what was happening.

They obviously care about our perception of mercury. certainly heading up again.

Mustn't Will wait and see Hopefully they can fix it by the 6th
Old 01 September 2010, 09:56   #8

Town: Looe
Make: Delta
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury
Good old Tubby Bennett!
Old 01 September 2010, 11:35   #9

Boatyard have looked at it, there was a wire to the compressor in the engine that had been chafing and it had got through the rubber coating and started to short out, hence the slow increase in the problem over time. Not great design really considering only 70 hrs use roughly.

(In my humble opinion, it was this that was occurring to a lesser degree when they changed the stats and then the air fuel mixture sensor and all the plugs. We got billed for the stats and plugs too, as they weren't covered by warranty, hmmm.)

Anyways, they have fixed the wire with non standard mercury parts to enable the boat to be used. Then when the mercury parts come they will fit them when they do the free service (labour and parts) in October when we take it out of the water.

Well chuffed it is fixed for next week. Worrying though after reading about the rib that blew up. As mentioned, checking wires etc where they may chafe could be a worthwhile exercise.

wonder if it will make it to the end of the season without any more faults
Old 03 September 2010, 22:21   #10
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
Can't praise Barrus enough for Merc/Mariner support.

Currently now have;

Mariner 50hp 2 stroke
Mariner 150hp Optimax
Twin Mariner 60hp 4 stroke
Twin Yamaha 60hp 4 stroke

and have had -

Mercury 150hp Optimax
Mariner 150hp Optimax
Mercury 135hp Verado
Mercury 75hp 2 stroke

All down to great products and great support!!!

And before you ask, the jury is still out on the boat with the Yamaha's

Chris